• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paxton noise (AKA the oxymoron thread)

The loud obnoxious chanting is the sort of thing I expect of people who watch eastenders and shop at Next and Tesco and enjoy reality t.v. We are Tottenham we should be better then all that.

I can't stand reality TV, or Eastenders. I rarely watch TV. As for the shopping. I can't remember the last time that I went in Next. Prefer Sainsburys to Tesco.

Do you think that no one should make any noise at a football match, aside from when goals are scored, or at the end of a game?

If people want to sing fine, if people want to moan fine, but, watch your language around children and don't get uppity at those of us who just want to sit and analyse a game of football, that's what I'm paying for. It's just a couple of hours of entertainment, we don't all have to take it so seriously.

I'm also a big fan of the 1882 movement as it groups all that tribal stuff together, like minded people having a good time, in a pre determined area I can stay away from.

Seems a bit harsh to single out the Paxton from Sunday's game, there was no noise anywhere else either.

If people want to sing fine, if people want to moan fine, but, watch your language around children and don't get uppity at those of us who just want to sit and analyse a game of football, that's what I'm paying for. It's just a couple of hours of entertainment, we don't all have to take it so seriously.

I'm also a big fan of the 1882 movement as it groups all that tribal stuff together, like minded people having a good time, in a pre determined area I can stay away from.

Completely agree but I do take exception to people who moan and groan as it affects my enjoyment of the game and actually in my mind makes it harder for my team to do well. Perhaps we should have an area for the moaners behind screen glass so that the players cannot hear! ;)

In the street, indoors I'd absolutely agree. I do watch my language around women and kids. At a football match though....I. Gonna be chucking some swearing in!! If you don't want to hear swearing, or want your kids to hear swearing, go to a library!!

In the street, indoors I'd absolutely agree. I do watch my language around women and kids. At a football match though....I. Gonna be chucking some swearing in!! If you don't want to hear swearing, or want your kids to hear swearing, go to a library!!

I think that's a bit selfish, it's a big stadium, if you want to behave that way don't sit in the family stand

The bad language 'ban' in the Family stand is a bit of a joke really.. my kids know what is bad language/swearing, and that I would be disappointed if I heard them repeating the language one hears at the ground at home... however, it is really difficult to curb. How do you stop the whole crowd singing 'the referees a clown shoe'... a not uncommon chant that the entire ground know the words to?

I've said it too many times already, but the club should really allocate a large part of the big stand on the stadium to the 1882 movement. Would be invaluable for a good atmosphere at the new stadium, I think. Don't want it to turn into a new effeminates.

The loud obnoxious chanting is the sort of thing I expect of people who watch eastenders and shop at Next and Tesco and enjoy reality t.v. We are Tottenham we should be better then all that.

How should we support the team, then? Singing operettas in multiple voices accompanied by violins?

tinkle off that's never going to happen ... our atmosphere has been **** since harry left ... one thing being the entertaining football.

October 2007 was when the atmosphere finally died. The Jol years were a recent peak

Cup matches with 1882 are good now, but that's all concentrated in the usual Park Lane/Shelf corner.

I think Paxton just sucks because there's too many old timers in it who have become too cynical (sold the Sky 4 myth and disappointed because of it). It's stale and with no turnover of personnel, there's no fresh enthusiastic young blood.

And there's the theatre comparison. Thanks for bringing that to the table. No one claims to support a dramatic society group, we are Tottenham fans. Where is the support in sitting silently on our hands? You are then acting as a passive onlooker, rather than a supporter, if you try to look in to the definitions.

I'm not saying that the inward support is any less, but I think that vocal support ought to be a part of supporting. Support displayed through vocal encouragement in the way of songs & shouts.

I'm sure you think very differently, so all I can present is my view.

Christ you've not been to a musical lately, half the audience think you're there to see them.

October 2007 was when the atmosphere finally died. The Jol years were a recent peak

Cup matches with 1882 are good now, but that's all concentrated in the usual Park Lane/Shelf corner.

I think Paxton just sucks because there's too many old timers in it who have become too cynical (sold the Sky 4 myth and disappointed because of it). It's stale and with no turnover of personnel, there's no fresh enthusiastic young blood.

Thanks, I'm an old timer but I've never been sold the Sky 4 myth, as for the no young blood like my father before me I've taken my son and grandchildren and have condemned them to supporting this great club. I have also tried to teach them that it's just a game to be watched for enjoyment and that the performance of the team neither diminish or improve our standing as individuals.

Thanks, I'm an old timer but I've never been sold the Sky 4 myth, as for the no young blood like my father before me I've taken my son and grandchildren and have condemned them to supporting this great club. I have also tried to teach them that it's just a game to be watched for enjoyment and that the performance of the team neither diminish or improve our standing as individuals.

Sorry - I didn't mean to tar all older supporters, and I know some of the loudest fans in Park Lane are drawing their pensions.

It's just my observation from the couple of times I've ended up in Paxton, that almost everyone there are in their 50s or older. This makes sense because of high ticket prices (that's the most financially comfortable demographic) and our long waiting list for STs. But I think a better mix, with more 20 and 30 somethings (those being drawn into 1882), would freshen things up a bit

I just feel there's a general staleness from people going because it's a habit, rather people who are desperate and excited to be there.

Last edited:
How should we support the team, then? Singing operettas in multiple voices accompanied by violins?
With a round of applause as the performers take to the pitch, a cheer after a goal, a gasp or ooooh when a nice bit of skill is shown. A round of applause when a performer who has had a good game is subbed. A standing ovation on final whistle when a good result has been recorded.

If we were to beat Arsenal to win the league then I would allow and probably participate in a naked pitch invasion.

I can't stand reality TV, or Eastenders. I rarely watch TV. As for the shopping. I can't remember the last time that I went in Next. Prefer Sainsburys to Tesco.

Do you think that no one should make any noise at a football match, aside from when goals are scored, or at the end of a game?

The are brief moments in matches when something of not has happened when making noise is acceptable, like wise in particularly dull games (all of avb's tenure) it is ok to engage the person next to you on subjects not football related such as the weather and the public transport system.

I think that's a bit selfish, it's a big stadium, if you want to behave that way don't sit in the family stand

There shouldn't BE a family stand. It's laughable. It's a fudging football ground not a library!!

Don't like swearing don't go to the football.

It's incredidible how this world has gone over recent years!!

Back