• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Bayer Leverkusen vs Mighty Spurs

That point will end up being crucial. We got what many call the "professional away" performance in Europe. Don't lose. Simple. We got a point in a match we should have lost. That's a positive. Win our two home games and we waltz into the knockouts. Winning the group would be a positive but with the amount of great teams that could well finish second (looking at Dortmund, Real, Juve, Bayern, Porto, Psg, Sevilla that all possibly could) it's not necessarily the be all and end all.

I really think that Poch should start showing more trust in Winks when we're struggling with our possession. After the half-time Bayer substitution and addition in midfield, all our four players behind Janssen, were hustled out of their game and it were crying out for the calming influence of Harry Winks. I would've like to have seen both Winks and Dembele come on for Eriksen and Alli.

Happy with the point in the end and especially pleased with the performances of Hugo, Trips, Rose, Wanyama and Jansssen.

I really think that Poch should start showing more trust in Winks when we're struggling with our possession. After the half-time Bayer substitution and addition in midfield, all our four players behind Janssen, were hustled out of their game and it were crying out for the calming influence of Harry Winks. I would've like to have seen both Winks and Dembele come on for Eriksen and Alli.

Happy with the point in the end and especially pleased with the performances of Hugo, Trips, Rose, Wanyama and Jansssen.
Agree. A fresh and hungry Winks might well have done a better job coming off the bench for Eriksen in the closing stages. Clearly Poch is less keen so we have to trust his judgement. Suspect he still sees Winks as too inexperienced to handle the pressure in such a critical game and at such a crucial stage. Leverkusen were after all on the cusp of nabbing all three points.

As one of Eriksen's most ardent champions I'm now reluctantly coming round to the view he seriously needs to up his game.

Strange comments re Eriksen. When we were under the cosh in the second he looked the only one that looked to start some counter-attacks from him closing down, dispossessing AND then running like a demon with the ball driving us forward.
His final ball was often poor, but that was like most of the players in the second half (perhaps like most of the time when we create counter-attacks generally; we seem very poor compared to other teams when we create 3 on 3 on a counter-attack from us pressing and causing the opposition to turnover possession).
I thought Eriksen was one of our better players tbh

Don't agree on Janssen. I thought he was really good and along with Rose one of our best players in the first half.

Held the ball up really well (even from long gk's/ball), movement excellent, unlucky not to score. His touch is sure and he's the right type of player for European game such as this and a big reason why we looked good in this half.

Was also really unlucky to not get an assist after his great touch spin and turn round their defender - keeper got a key nick on his cross.

I thought we missed Janssen after he came off. Our long balls became very much ineffective and Leverkusen could press us with impunity knowing that we had no long ball threat. Made worse my our midfield failing to play through pressure as well. Missed both Janssen and Lamela I think (but I rate Lamela higher than some).

Can see the logic of the subs though. Fresh legs and Son, Sissoko and Alli with pace for counter attacks makes a lot of sense, but we weren't able to do enough on the ball to make that work.

My only thought from last night was the Dembele substitution.
I can see the logic but we tended to start playing for a draw too early.............but it's easy to say, sitting on my sofa.

We were well and truly losing control of the game at that point. We weren't as much playing for the draw as hoping to wrestle back control of the game to even start thinking about playing for the win. Unfortunately after a fresh start Dembele started making a lot of the same mistakes as his team mates.

That point will end up being crucial. We got what many call the "professional away" performance in Europe. Don't lose. Simple. We got a point in a match we should have lost. That's a positive. Win our two home games and we waltz into the knockouts. Winning the group would be a positive but with the amount of great teams that could well finish second (looking at Dortmund, Real, Juve, Bayern, Porto, Psg, Sevilla that all possibly could) it's not necessarily the be all and end all.

A very good and important point.

Even a draw at home to Leverkusen means that we're second and well in control of our own destiny heading into the home game against CSKA and the away game at Monaco.

Leverkusen are a very good side and they showed that in the second half yesterday. I think our first half performance kind of tricked people into thinking Leverkusen aren't as good as they clearly are. We could obviously have done better in the second half, but overall it wasn't a bad performance from us.

I thought we missed Janssen after he came off. Our long balls became very much ineffective and Leverkusen could press us with impunity knowing that we had no long ball threat. Made worse my our midfield failing to play through pressure as well. Missed both Janssen and Lamela I think (but I rate Lamela higher than some).

Can see the logic of the subs though. Fresh legs and Son, Sissoko and Alli with pace for counter attacks makes a lot of sense, but we weren't able to do enough on the ball to make that work.

We were well and truly losing control of the game at that point. We weren't as much playing for the draw as hoping to wrestle back control of the game to even start thinking about playing for the win. Unfortunately after a fresh start Dembele started making a lot of the same mistakes as his team mates.

Janssen was tailormade for last night and we missed him big time when he went off.

Dembele had a bit of a mare last night sadly.

Janssen was tailormade for last night and we missed him big time when he went off.

Dembele had a bit of a mare last night sadly.

I think the two are connected, as I hinted at in my previous post.

If Dembele has a better game he helps us set up more counter attacks, Son and Sissoko get to use their strengths running at defenders with space around them. We don't miss Janssen as much and possibly even Leverkusen retreat back into their shells a bit worried about that counter attacking ability.

Dembele has an off day and they can continue to press as they wish. We offer little on the break and we lose our target man.

-----------------

The pitch looked difficult to play on by the way, I think that's at least partly why so many of our players struggled with some of the basics when put under more pressure in the second half.

I like Eriksen but he really needs to step up in games like this. We know he can do it - two seasons ago he was a great contributer from free kicks and shots from outside the penalty area. Last season , not so much. I gather we haven't yet scored a single goal this season from outside the penalty area. Eriksen is one of the biggest culprits in this. He needs to begin to deliver again .... and soon.

You are absolutely correct in this. He really needs to step up amd fast.

Hawkeye was first used by UEFA in the Europa League and CL finals in 2016. The technology is also to be used in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League, from the play-offs onwards. A decision concerning its implementation in the UEFA Europa League, from the group stage onwards in 2017/18, will be made at a later stage.

Hawkeye was first used by UEFA in the Europa League and CL finals in 2016. The technology is also to be used in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League, from the play-offs onwards. A decision concerning its implementation in the UEFA Europa League, from the group stage onwards in 2017/18, will be made at a later stage.
The commentator said goal technology (the buzzing wristacoch) is not used, and they rely on the extra referee/linesmen... but the cameras zoomed in on the referee's huge watch so I think the German director thought otherwise.

The commentator said goal technology (the buzzing wristacoch) is not used, and they rely on the extra referee/linesmen... but the cameras zoomed in on the referee's huge watch so I think the German director thought otherwise.
I might be imagining this, but I thought they showed a Hawkeye style graphic showing how much of the ball was over the line (which was a lot!) ?

I might be imagining this, but I thought they showed a Hawkeye style graphic showing how much of the ball was over the line (which was a lot!) ?
Yes, they did. I'm assuming the commentator was wrong, as he was wrong about most things. I wasn't sure if that Hawkeye system was a truly "in the moment decision system" or just some speccy kid upstairs estimating it. Presumably the former, and the commentator is a tit.

Agree. A fresh and hungry Winks might well have done a better job coming off the bench for Eriksen in the closing stages. Clearly Poch is less keen so we have to trust his judgement. Suspect he still sees Winks as too inexperienced to handle the pressure in such a critical game and at such a crucial stage. Leverkusen were after all on the cusp of nabbing all three points.

As one of Eriksen's most ardent champions I'm now reluctantly coming round to the view he seriously needs to up his game.

I'm hoping Winks will get a full run out in the League Cup at Anfield and that Klopp will go with a full strength side to really test him. If Winks has a good game, then perhaps Poch will then trust him with more minutes in the CL and PL.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that the hawkeye system was on and operational, just not hooked up to the referee as it's not in use yet in the competition. The broadcaster wouldn't mind showing the graphics though, especially if the referee had given the goal :eek:

It's not outside the realms of possibility that the hawkeye system was on and operational, just not hooked up to the referee as it's not in use yet in the competition. The broadcaster wouldn't mind showing the graphics though, especially if the referee had given the goal :eek:
it is in use though isn't it?

Back