• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Video Game Thread ***

Call of Duty: Black ops 2

[video=youtube;i2gVBe0airU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2gVBe0airU[/video]

Wow. Shockingly bad. Treyarch are continually ruining Call of Duty's reputation. CoD 3 = awful, World at War = Terrible, Black ops = a disaster, And now this...deary me...

BLOPS was better than the last 2 modern warfares

In one respect I agree it's spent, it needs a break. That's from the creativity PoV.

However, the money it brings in suggest it is far from spent, and as long as it keeps spinning those figures they won't stop the yearly updates

They seem to have a fixation with 'bigger is better'. I can't be enough just to hunt down and kill one terrorist. Now in every game the whole fudging world is at stake. You get sensitised to brick blowing up pretty quickly; after a million times there's nothing impressive or exciting about a helicopter crashing into something. Every game the devastation is just immeasurable, and the gameplay is second to making brick blow up, creating implausibly important story lines and painful super slow-mo 'I'm nearly dead' type scenes. Shame.

I miss the old Ghost Recon games where you'd sneak around for ages without seeing anyone.

Modern Warfare was outstanding, so far as games go it tried to keep to reality, it had a good story line and some excellent game play moments. The flash back sniper level(s) were simply amazing, and among the best gaming experiences ever.

They were really onto something there.

Since MW, they have gotten everything completely wrong. I think MW was a fluke.

Round up of E3 Day Two

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-6926-E3-2012--The-Mega-Round-Up---Day-Two-.html

Again, not alot to write home about tbh, a few things caught my eye, firstly the PES 2013 trailer, and a strong rumour that GTA 5 Trailer #2 will be released tomorrow at E3.

PES 2013

Trailer:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-6925-E3-2012--Pro-Evo-2013-Trailer-and-Screens-Boot-Up.html

Black Ops 2

Behind the scenes + in game footage

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-6920-E3-2012--Black-Ops-II-Trailer-Goes-Behind-the-Scenes.html

Modern Warfare was outstanding, so far as games go it tried to keep to reality, it had a good story line and some excellent game play moments. The flash back sniper level(s) were simply amazing, and among the best gaming experiences ever.

Here's a brief history lesson for you newbs ;)
Remember Medal of Honor: Allied Assault?
Those same lead developers left that studio and founded a new one (Infinity Ward), where they started the Call of Duty franchise. After they released MW, they really blew up. Of course, Treyarch is the other developer that was in charge of the in-between sequels and other flimflams that normally sucked. The only thing Treyarch introduced was Nazi Zombies, and even then, it's not like it was a new concept.

Activision being the stupid dingdongwads that they are fired the two leads who then went on to create yet another studio (Respawn). Activision only cares about money. Their CEO Bobby Kotick is a prick who doesn't know anything about games, just making money. Just look at the Guitar Hero/Rock Band formula... loads of different titles, tons of DLC. All just to make those $$$ rain. It's not like EA is much better though with BF3's new map packs (dubbed expansions because they promised they would never charge for maps).

The thing I don't understand is why do people keep buying these bricky games over and over? It's the same brick, just different settings. The multiplayer isn't very deep and keeps my attention for maybe 10 hours tops since I played the brick out of the original MW. If I had a kid who shat in the corner of his room and I gave him a candybar right after he did that, I'd be reinforcing his behavior. That's what paying customers have been doing with these Call of Duty games lately. If stagnant design choices are rewarded, they will continue to lack innovation and go for the same old tired formula.
MW3 did very well in terms of sales, breaking many entertainment industry records and making Avatar look like a straight to DVD release.

So no, I don't think MW was a fluke. MW has shaped the FPS genre as it is today, whether we like it or not. But with new sources of startup funding (like Kickstarter), I think indie studios will be able to create bigger and better games that can compete against the likes of these Call of Cloney games. Let's hope they're past their peak now.

Last edited:

Different people. Most of the COD4 developers were fired by Activision and since then their only prerogative has been to make money.

Papaspur - what is your latest / newest battle.net tag?

HotSpur#1474

In regards to some upcoming changes, here's a blog entry from yesterday highlighting several areas where they'll make improvements/balance changes:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6262208/Patch_103_Design_Preview-6_6_2012?page=2#page-comments

I can easily turn over The Butcher in Inferno. Just had to make some minor adjustments to my gear (spend 150-300k on each piece of armor...) since I needed more resists. If you guys want me to quickly explain what kinds of items you should be getting, I'd be more than happy to. Inferno is challenging since the enemies hit so hard and the difficulty from Act 1 to Act 2 is night and day.

Did you do that from your Blacksmith?

Nooo, blacksmith is still too expensive and too scattershot, so it's good if you like a gamble. They're making gem crafting and blacksmithing cheaper to both train and create new items. Sometimes I'll actually find a nice item, but most are bought from the AH or traded with friends.

They will also be adjusting the loot tables so I can actually get Inferno Act 2 gear in Act 1... seems logical that it should've been that way from the get-go, but better late than never.

Nooo, blacksmith is still too expensive and too scattershot, so it's good if you like a gamble. They're making gem crafting and blacksmithing cheaper to both train and create new items. Sometimes I'll actually find a nice item, but most are bought from the AH or traded with friends.

They will also be adjusting the loot tables so I can actually get Inferno Act 2 gear in Act 1... seems logical that it should've been that way from the get-go, but better late than never.

I see

If you have any good Demon Hunter one-hand cross-bows burning a hole in your chest - please let me know! (to anyone playing in this thread, btw.)

I see

If you have any good Demon Hunter one-hand cross-bows burning a hole in your chest - please let me know! (to anyone playing in this thread, btw.)

Blacksmithing is reasonable for lower levels, but you're never guaranteed a good item. You could make yourself a crossbow, but might end up with stats like:
+20 strength
+24 intelligence
+7 yard pickup radius for gold and health
+6% damage from some wizard spell

But if it only costs 2k to craft, it's worth a stab. On items that cost 50k to craft, I'd rather just go to the AH. I've got a decent level ~46 crossbow, 2-hander but hits like a truck.

I hope Glen's along in a minute with some more E3 vids, break up the nerdage a little bit... ;)

wow-jenkins.jpg

Back