• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

Walker has been playing poorly for a long while now, but we dont have anyone to give him a break. He is a young player and dips in form are to be expected, so we seriously need to give Chimbonda a call:)

Walker has been playing poorly for a long while now, but we dont have anyone to give him a break. He is a young player and dips in form are to be expected, so we seriously need to give Chimbonda a call:)

Did we sell Naughton?

I must not have been paying attention.. :p

Why? he's good at getting forward and putting crosses in from what i saw at Norwich.

i wasnt that impressed, defensively he looked solid though

i guess a lot will depend if he wants to be be Walker's back up. Wont be easy after having a season of regular Prem football at Norwich

I thought Gomes looked comfortable - didn't have much to do but if the ball was anywhere near our area he would be immeditately off his line and on to the edge of it. I liked that. Think he will be comfortable if AVB persists with a high line and may get a few games. It's strange though, was Parks saying that Cudicini was a good option because of his quick feet? He looked terrible in the game he played and his distribution was way off. Maybe it's just getting used to playing matches again after the summer though.

Which may have been the case for Walker too. This game doesn't mean he is a bad passer, but in this game his passing was terrible. Just wasn't on it at all. Poor, but he'll obviously improve on that.

Dawson looked comfortable even with a high line, Vertonghen didn't but there are still some weeks to get tight with this. I think once we have a settled league team and we've worked a bit more on tactics we will look better at this. At the moment there's different players in front of the defence, some not first choice, some may be leaving, and it can mean the ball may be coming back at us more than we would like or actually expect from our proper first choice team.

That said, even if it is just one instance a game where the opposition get a clear run on our goal because of the high line, it is worrying because the margins will be so fine in the league. We need to cut it out. It's clear we have been doing some tactical work from how we are setting up so hopefully we will improve on it. BAE looked his usual self. Professional job.

Livermore often loses the ball because he doesn't seem to have the technical skill to turn out of trouble. But there simply must be something Harry saw in him to play him so much. Harry wouldn't play a youngster unless he thought he was ready. But it was a poor game from him. Huddlestone had some good touches but some bad ones...Bentley actually didn't look out of place and is showing he could be a good option in the squad.

Jenas I thought was actually decent when he came on. People are saying Carroll was good, and he was, but Jenas had an equally good display IMO, he used the ball well, pressed extremely well and would have been clean through if Kane played him through after Jenas won the ball and made a great run forward. In an AVB pressing game, I think Jenas could have a new lease of life and he may finally have a manager that will make full use of his physical attributes. But with Sandro, Parker, Modric/Replacement, Huddlestone, he may not actually get a chance to show it. May be best to let him go for a good fee and let Carroll get closer to the first team.

Townsend has good pace and just needs to improve his final ball decision making. He gets into dangerous areas, is capable of like Lennon getting to the byline and crossing, and if he just gets used to making the right pass more often he could be a real asset. I think he could be a good asset to the squad incase Bale or Lennon are injured but if not, we may be able to get him to Norwich for a Prem loan if Hughton rates him highly enough and thinks he can cut it at this level.

Kane looked decent to me. Quicker than I've seen before. Useful touches. As with Vertonghen, if he came into a settled team with a consistent supply line I think he'd look like a real good option. Obviously if Defoe could send him some selfishness just to improve his decision making that would be great, but he's only just turned 19, and I think he has a bit of time to go yet. Some players come into their own slightly later, and he might be one.

If you can stand the ridiculous American commentators, here's the highlights.

[video=youtube;slATSrhd9Y4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slATSrhd9Y4[/video]

article-2181967-14517F92000005DC-403_308x281.jpg

what a trophy :)

Back