• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

The original batman vs superman from the The Dark Knight Returns was a completely different story. I haven't read it since I was a spotty teenager but I do remember it being up there as one of the best I had read at the time. I still remember it quite well actually and I can't say the same about to many other comics really (bar the Watchmen :cool:).
Another one ruined by the same director I believe.

A little tip to those wanting to make a film from an existing great story - DON'T CHANGE THE fudging ENDING.

Watchmen was pretty good i thought, don'rt read comics so don't have any source material to compare it to though

Watchmen was pretty good i thought, don'rt read comics so don't have any source material to compare it to though
Might be coincidence but it's the only graphic novel I've read and they ruined it.

The wife's trying to get me to read another one about the Joker's back story but I really struggled to get into them.

Just seen The Jungle Book, outstanding adaptation 11/10 ! Great for kids and those of us brought up with the original animation

Yeah I'm a fan of the graphic novel (obviously) and thought they did a very good job of the film, although it does stray from the original storyline a bit (especially at the end).

Last edited:
I occasionally listen kermodes reviews on a Friday and he ripped it and called it racist. The guys is exactly the kind of arty farty liberal twit I hate and that review alone just made me want to see.
Not I hasten to add because I'm a racist, but because I know it would horrify him.
Did you think it was racist?
What can you expect from a guy who was a close mate of David Baddiel at school?

That's quite an important part IMO
Well that's true, but even as a fan of the book I can almost forgive them for that ending. The real ending is frankly a little bizarre and might not have played out too well with a movie going audience. The general premise of both endings was roughly the same though, to unite the globe against a common supernatural foe.
I just found out there is an extra hour of that film cut from the theatre version. I must try and find that somewhere.

Might be coincidence but it's the only graphic novel I've read and they ruined it.

The wife's trying to get me to read another one about the Joker's back story but I really struggled to get into them.

It's called the Killing Joke, written by the same author as The Watchmen, its a good book, possibly not quite as good as people say though. I'd definitely recommend it.

V for Vendetta is excellent also (again by Alan Moore), though it is fairly heavy handed in its interaction with politics.

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns is a good one, fairly influential in regards to the films, although I wouldn't say it portrays the definitive Batman, more his interpretation.

In regards to marvel, if you're looking for a cinematic style comic book run, Brian Micheal Bendis' run on Daredevil is critically acclaimed and is probably my favourite.

GHod Love Man Kills (1982 version) is probably the definitive X-men story. The Mutant Massacre runs it pretty close if you don't mind the style of art in the book. Joss Wedon's Astonishing X-men is very good also.

The books are quite expensive for what they are though. You can get access to marvels entire digital back catalogue for 60usd a year, which works out much cheaper, although you never own the physical text.

Went to see Eddie the Eagle on Friday night. a proper feelgood film to put a smile on your face. Okay it bends the truth/facts quite a bit, but hey we came out of the Cineworld happy.
That complex at Sheffield is great, I wish we had it in Warrington, better than our Odeon

2, both variations of Bear Necesseties and King of the Swingers
Cheers mate
clear.png

I might go see it then, I would've been disappointed if they hadn't been in it. Do you think it'll replace the cartoon in terms of kids seeing it?

Back