• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

How is winning a Champions League, an FA Cup, and finishing just four points behind the leaders turning a talented pool of players into a directionless team of turkeys? As for Inter, he was the manager after Mourinho; That's the hardest job in world football. You're constantly compared to him, by both the fans and by the players. He tried to play a high line and implement a pressing system in order to better retain and distribute possession, as opposed to Mou's 10-1-0 formation with the emphasis on the deep defensive line and the quick cover. The problem was that he didn't have the players required to do it. Both Lucio and Samuel were slow, aging centre-backs, and were unsuited to the game he was trying to play. He tried to rectify that by asking for a few players, but Moratti denied him the funds. Then he suffered a horrendous spate of injuries, and then had to watch the one pacy player in his back-line, Maicon, have his confidence destroyed by a superhuman Bale effort. Not much of that is his fault, I'd wager. In fact, the high-pressing system he tried to implement would work much better in the PL, and with us in particular; we have the pace in the back-four to pull off what Inter couldn't.

Even though we laughed at Benitez in the end at Liverpool, you can't deny his stats with Valencia and Pool. And like you said, managing Inter after Jose was never going to be easy after the heartbreaking departure he had with the club. They were not ready for a new relationship yet and the owners didn't make it easy either. So I'm with you, dubaispur, Benitez could very well be an option for us.

Can I come visit you and play some golf btw?

First they try and engineer a move for Modric, they are currently planting the seed to engineer Bales move and now they are trying to sort out Harry's move. Such a lovely bunch of people.

Please. Why do people always think that we're being picked on? Harry has said very openly that he wants to job when Capello leaves so its hardly surprising.

There's nothing really to do though for the England manager til June so its pretty obvious that Levy and the FA will agree a deal whereby Harry will stay til the end of the season and then take the England job. Thankfully we now have time to identify the new man for next season and get him in in May so that he has plenty of time to prepare. Far better than losing Harry post the European Championships. Harry wont be leaving before the end of the season so I'm not quite sure why people are throwing their toys out of the pram. You have to be incredibly deluded to have thought that he would be our manager next season!!! At least now we have time to prepare

If the FA wants Harry as the new boss because he is English...

Is it too late to offer Harry a new nationality?

1. Nothing that we, as fans, can do or could have done to prevent Harry from taking the England job. It was his cherished ambition long before he joined Spurs. So stop raking up the past. Besides, should we never express (or even hold) doubts about our managers and players - just in case they might leave us?

2. The Santini appointment was part of a carefully conceived plan....IMO. Spurs had just completed two thirds of the 2003-04 season with a caretaker manager and had come perilously close to getting sucked into a relegation dogfight. Having put the club through that, Levy knew that he needed to appoint a manager with serious credentials. Nothing less would appease the fans.

But, above all, he wanted Frank Arnesen. And Arnesen's adamant preference for the job was Martin Jol. Levy baulked, on the basis that Spurs fans, and pretty much the whole of English football, would have exclaimed "WHO??"

So they appointed Jacques Santini - manager of France and former manager of a successful Lyon team. And then, utterly bizarrely, they also appointed Jol as an assistant. Why would Jol have taken the job? He was already a sought after manager in his own right in Holland. He must have had assurances that he would be the Spurs manager very shortly.

Then - surprise, surprise - Santini (a man who hardly spoke a word of English, as that excrutiating press conference amply demonstrated) suddenly resigned. He said that, one day, the truth would out. But not a peep from him since. Was he in on the plan too? Maybe.

a large number? in relation what? 300 out of 36,000? i wouldnt call that a large number, every club has permanently dissatisfied fans no matter what the success. Ferguson has his critics, Wenger too, and look what theyve done for their clubs

no-one can take talk radio shows seriously. come on, they are sensationalized, only accept brick stirring topics and callers, and yes the majority who fall into the trap of calling are idiots in a way.

Ferguson doesnt have Man U fans calling him a saggy faced theiving c#nt.
You seem to know all about the figures....only 300 was it? When did you count them?

Harry not thinking of England

Manager focused on Spurs amid England speculation

By Rachel Griffiths - Follow me on Twitter @SkySportsRachG. Last Updated: February 9, 2012 11:26am

Harry Redknapp insists he has 'not even thought' about the England job and is fully focused on Tottenham amid heavy speculation linking him with the vacant post.

Redknapp is the clear frontrunner to succeed Fabio Capello in the role following the Italian's resignation on Wednesday evening, with players and pundits alike backing him for the job.

Capello stepped down just hours after the Spurs boss was cleared of all charges following a two-week tax evasion trial.

Speculation has surfaced Redknapp could take over England on a part-time basis to allow him to see out the campaign with Tottenham before taking full charge in the summer ahead of the European Championship in Poland and Ukraine.

But Redknapp is keeping quiet on the prospect of him assuming the role, insisting he is concentrating solely on his current club, who are flying high in the Premier League and host Saudi Sportswashing Machine at White Hart Lane this weekend.

Focus

"I don't know anything about the England job. I've not even thought about it," he told Sky Sports News on Thursday morning.

"I've got a job to do, I've got a big game on Saturday with Tottenham. Tottenham is my focus.

"They've been fantastic to me, the Tottenham people. The fans last week at the Wigan game, it was incredible the reception they gave me.

"It wouldn't be right to them to focus on anything else but Tottenham. My only interest is Tottenham Hotspur.

"They (the Football Association) will make whatever decision they want to make and hopefully it will be the right decision for the country."

Capello, who had previously said he would quit in the summer after the Euros, stepped down after making it clear he was unhappy with the FA's decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy without his consent.

Redknapp admits his resignation came as a surprise, adding: "I was shocked. I was surprised. I didn't expect that to happen. We knew he was going to leave in the summer but I didn't expect it to happen now."

Move on

The Spurs boss is keen to move on after being cleared of the charges against him on Wednesday - a case he is adamant should never have gone to trial.

"It was a case that never should have been brought to court in the first place to be honest with you," he said.

"Mr Levy gave me the job three years ago and he looked at it before he appointed me. He realised it was a case that had no substance to it otherwise he wouldn't have given me the job at Tottenham.

"It's past us now and we look forward and look to the future."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7498845/Harry-not-thinking-of-England

1. Nothing that we, as fans, can do or could have done to prevent Harry from taking the England job. It was his cherished ambition long before he joined Spurs. So stop raking up the past. Besides, should we never express (or even hold) doubts about our managers and players - just in case they might leave us?

So, it all comes back to people thinking that abusing someone, and showing them support has the same effect. "Nothing" we could have done? Like backed him for his achievements you mean?

"Stop raking up the past?" What are you on about?

As for the last line, either respond to what I said or not at all. There is a difference between harbouring doubts, and abusing someone by calling them a theif, and a saggy faced tactically inept c#nt, and constantly calling for their sacking

So in your view a midfield of Riise and Gerrard in their prime, Xabi Alonso back then and Luis Garcia on form is inferior to Charlie Adam, Jay Spearing, Stuart Downing and a much older Gerrard?

Not sure if I'm reading/understanding your post correctly

Nah, mate, I'm saying the Liverpool side of today have a worse midfield than the Liverpool of 2005, though again, I'd like to point out that Liverpool could have had a midfield of Kuyt-Alonso-Mascherano-Meireles-Gerrard if Hicks and Gillett hadn't interfered. I'd back that midfield to control the middle against Liverpool 05's midfield any day. But yeah, I'm basically trying to point out that, depth wise, the Liverpool of today have a better squad than the Liverpool of 05, and a large part of that is down to Benitez. I mean ,sure, Adam, spearing, Downing and gerrard looks terrible, but put Lucas back in and it starts to look better. Kuyt-Adam-Lucas-Gerrard-Bellamy isn't a bad midfield at all.

Funny how people are saying the way we treat him wouldnt make a difference, yet Harry says himself how much the response at Wigan meant to him.

Three years of that couldnt possibly have an effect though?

Even though we laughed at Benitez in the end at Liverpool, you can't deny his stats with Valencia and Pool. And like you said, managing Inter after Jose was never going to be easy after the heartbreaking departure he had with the club. They were not ready for a new relationship yet and the owners didn't make it easy either. So I'm with you, dubaispur, Benitez could very well be an option for us.

Can I come visit you and play some golf btw?

Sure, if you're willing to fly over to Mississauga, Ontario. :mrgreen: I stopped living in Dubai a while ago, mate. Still visit every year, though, and it is the city I grew up in.

May be there weren't cheaper deals at the time and most certainly there weren't any Sandros. May be Sandras.

Anyway - I'm sure if you ask any Toffee fan they'd would deem Felianin a good overall purchase considering what he's done for them since joining.

We've had far worse than that over the years - Bentley, Gio, Wilson (bar his first 6 months), etc. - players who've had virtually no impact in comparison

The difference is that though we may have been bummed on the Bentley, Wilson and Gio deals, we could afford to write them off as losses. It wasn't easy, and still probably isn't easy for Levy, looking at the depreciating values, but we could and still can afford to do it. Everton can't. And for 15 million quid, you could have bought Kompany, Zabaleta and...err...Borja Valero!

Wow, I had completely forgotten that 8 months ago people were calling for Harry to be sacked. Not a quiet minority either. He had 'taken us as far as he can' and should've been sacked in May to allow Ancelotti the whole window to buy his players.

You're absolutely right; you can't call for someone to be sacked when they finish 5th and expect them to turn down their dream job when you're sitting in 3rd.

The reasons people wanted him gone in the summer were 1. the way the team completely collapsed at the end of the season winning 3 games in 15!
2. because we all knew he was going to either be in trouble with the upcoming court case or taking the england job in 2012.
3. he was acting like Modric's agent in summer.

So it was tempting to put a case to bring in a new manager long term and built for the future rather than be stuck bringing in a new manager halfway through the season when the worst happened in the court case or when England came calling.

Harry would do to remember who was calling him a crook as recently as yesterday morning, and who had his back the whole time. When he woke up yesterday morning he must have had a gut wrenching feeling, and perhaps the only place that would have made him feel happy was The Lane. Now he's everyone's best mate, he's a one-off, a real character.

If he goes in the Summer, it's expected... and I can't be surprised (though a little disappointed that we're NOT in fact bigger than England!)

If he goes before the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game I'll be claming livid!! (...it's unlikely, but you could imagine the news breaking on Saturday tea-time couldn't you...? just as the teams are arriving at the ground... a whisper goes round the crowd, and we've got Martin Jol v Getafe all over again!)

If this does derail our season, then we can all seethe and blame John Terry and the corruption/conspiracy within the FA and Sky to MAKE SURE we never actually have a tilt at the title... but it won't change anything; we'd just be able to say yet ANOTHER ex-Tottenham manager was good enough to manage England... small fudging comfort that!

...on the other hand, if Levy is shrewd, and wise about this, he may be able to persuade the FA to 'keep the seat warm' for Harry till May... then we'd be back to where we all thought we'd be at the end of the season... looking for a manger over the Summer!

Last edited:

Came about in 2008 initially, iirc.

The more I think about it the more opposed I am to allowing Harry to go now. I say that as a massive fan of his, and someone willing for him to take the job but this timing is so bad for us. In the summer fine, but now would be massively risky. As for potential successors, Benitez would be the wrong choice imo. Really not a fan of his. The difficulty for us though is getting someone who can convince our key players that progress will continue, because if not things could unfold rather rapidly.

The difference is that though we may have been bummed on the Bentley, Wilson and Gio deals, we could afford to write them off as losses. It wasn't easy, and still probably isn't easy for Levy, looking at the depreciating values, but we could and still can afford to do it. Everton can't. And for 15 million quid, you could have bought Kompany, Zabaleta and...err...Borja Valero!

Those are all defenders actually

Point is - why do you insist on painting Feliani as some kind of a flop and failure when clearly he hasn't been anywhere near that?

As long as he does not go before the end of the season I have no problem if Harry goes. Levy has enough time to identify a new manager by the summer. We should be in the CL, and hopefully automatic qualification to the group stage. THere would be a number of top managers wanting this job and Levy would have his pick

...hate to say it, but to me, it still sounded like a Harry goodbye speech outside Southwark yesterday!!

BTW, anyone hear the 'rumour' that Harry's absence from the Liverpool game was nothing to do with planes... but him and a few select Spurs directors were instead where no one would think to look for them; Bernstein's office in WEMBLEY STADIUM!!

Back