• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

I'd rather have Roberto Martinez

You've gotta be joking

Oh - and that 2005 Liverpool side would drop an big'ol mighty dump on the current one in terms of squad quality so I'm not sure why you've deemed it 'terrible' by today's standards. Players like Jay Spearing, Jonjo Shelvey (lol), Charlie Adam, Stuart Downing, and Jordan (had a few decent games for Sunderland) Henderson wouldn't make his bench. Not fit to lace Alonso or Gerrard's boots of 7 years go. They've gone from a good-to-watch attacking side to utter, utter one dimensional cloggers.

Didn't they have Djimi Traore at left-back in the final? Kewell up front? Carson on the bench and Dudek in goal? Josemi on the bench? I'm not denying that they had some good players; Alonso, Gerrard, Carragher and Hyppia spring to mind, perhaps Hamann as well. But the good players were outnumbered by the mediocre players, who turned a good performance every once in a while but otherwise were unsatisfactory. The Liverpool squad now, I'd argue, has better depth, even if they've lost a lot of the quality they had in the first eleven. As for 'Pool playing turgid football now, well, that's an even better reason to take a look at Rafa. Since he left, have Liverpool looked even slightly dangerous, when compared to some of his sides?

Kewell was a good player still then

Luis Garcia, Finnan, Cisse later on and Riise in his prime were dangerous units

No ways these were 'terrible' in comparison to today's standards

Head in the sand mate if you dont think he's fully aware of how a large number of Spurs fans have treated him.

First they try and engineer a move for Modric, they are currently planting the seed to engineer Bales move and now they are trying to sort out Harry's move. Such a lovely bunch of people.

My mate working out in the Middle East just posted this on my status update. Apparently this occured before Capello resigning/Harry not guilty:

'When I was at the Qatar Golf Masters with Jason McAteer (yes you read it right) he said that Benitez is definitely up for the Spurs job.'

Not really big news, but interesting nonetheless. He'll probably throw his oversized waiter cap into the ring. The swine.

He showed at Liverpool that he could turn a talented pool of players into a directionless team of turkeys and he took over Milan, the European champions capable of beating Barca into a team that nearly spunked a 4 goal lead to us, got humiliated by us and exited the competion with their tails between their legs. Winning a meaningless competition against the finest from New Zealand and Japan means nothing.
Not to me anyway.
Its my personal feeling that he would take the current side and tinkle aroiund with it, and turn it into a mid table team that wins nothing, ie take us back to the 90's

I said it earlier that I would have Neil Warnock, and whilst it was tongue in cheek, I can tell you that I would definitely have him before Benitez. The savings on salaries alone would be impressive, and I think Warnock knows how to unify a team and make them fight for each other and punch above their weight.
My only misgiving is that he's not used to handling the top end prima donnas, whereas Harry was with the ageing goldenboys he had at pompey.

How is winning a Champions League, an FA Cup, and finishing just four points behind the leaders turning a talented pool of players into a directionless team of turkeys? As for Inter, he was the manager after Mourinho; That's the hardest job in world football. You're constantly compared to him, by both the fans and by the players. He tried to play a high line and implement a pressing system in order to better retain and distribute possession, as opposed to Mou's 10-1-0 formation with the emphasis on the deep defensive line and the quick cover. The problem was that he didn't have the players required to do it. Both Lucio and Samuel were slow, aging centre-backs, and were unsuited to the game he was trying to play. He tried to rectify that by asking for a few players, but Moratti denied him the funds. Then he suffered a horrendous spate of injuries, and then had to watch the one pacy player in his back-line, Maicon, have his confidence destroyed by a superhuman Bale effort. Not much of that is his fault, I'd wager. In fact, the high-pressing system he tried to implement would work much better in the PL, and with us in particular; we have the pace in the back-four to pull off what Inter couldn't.

he has always said any englishman offered the England job would find it impossible to turn down. Thats all anyone needs to know. Fair play to him for his honesty

I agree. But once I said I would take a job, and didnt. You know what, things can change, and the way you are treated can influence that.

I dont want benitez, or warnock but i would have warnock over benitez.

We need someone who will keep modric and bale. Shame about Ancelotti. Id love Mourinho and i think we have a chance.

Harry Redknapp on England: "I was shocked and I was surprised [about Capello's resigntaion]. We knew he would leave in the summer but didn't expect it to happen now.

"Tottenham is my team and the fans have been fantastic. It wouldn't be right to focus on anything else other than Spurs. That's my focus."

Harry Redknapp on England: "I was shocked and I was surprised [about Capello's resigntaion]. We knew he would leave in the summer but didn't expect it to happen now.

"Tottenham is my team and the fans have been fantastic. It wouldn't be right to focus on anything else other than Spurs. That's my focus."

Yeah boiii! we may be idiots, but we're his fantastic idiots. So fudge YOU FA. Where's this from Diego?

Head in the sand mate if you dont think he's fully aware of how a large number of Spurs fans have treated him.

a large number? in relation what? 300 out of 36,000? i wouldnt call that a large number, every club has permanently dissatisfied fans no matter what the success. Ferguson has his critics, Wenger too, and look what theyve done for their clubs

no-one can take talk radio shows seriously. come on, they are sensationalized, only accept brick stirring topics and callers, and yes the majority who fall into the trap of calling are idiots in a way.

Anyway - read between the lines - he's off in the summer

Question for his replacement is still a valid one, imv.

Kewell was a good player still then

Luis Garcia, Finnan, Cisse later on and Riise in his prime were dangerous units

No ways these were 'terrible' in comparison to today's standards

Kewell spent more time in the treatment room than the boot room. Same with Garcia, Cisse and Baros(though Garcia was a magnificent player on his day). Riise was a good 'un, but so is Jose Enrique. Overall, they've got a better goalkeeper, roughly the same level of defenders save for a massive improvement on Djimi Traore, a worse midfield (though even that would have been better had Hicks and Gilett not sold Alonso and co from under Benitez's, then Hodgson's feet) and a slightly inferior strikeforce. (Again, not really Rafa's fault Liverpool bought Carroll, now is it?) But the point I'm trying to make is that if you played that squad today, in the Prem, they would definitely finish outside the top five, probably even top six. Not through lack of touches of class, but through a lack of squad depth. Rafa overcame that, surely? How else could he mastermind their title challenge in 09?

Putting aside the issue of money, Mourinho guarantees a complete overhaul of almost any club he walks into, a complete change of ethos. On that basis, if anything, I feel he is vastly underrated (!) as a manager. He brings with him unique benchmarks and practices. He also brings mind games and a lot of other nonsense. The caveat is that he hasn't really done it at Real, and yet they are hardly doing badly.

NEVER going to happen anyway.

You might even say, a tough act to follow? With Mourinho only staying a few years at each club, replacing his sweet ass could prove difficult enough to break the club *play church organ music*. You see Materazzi crying his tits off when Jos?®xy left? Yes, now imaging that being Huddlestone. Shiiiiaaaaat!

NEVER? I'd say Mourinho's answer would be 'anysing is possibol in footbol'.

fudge yes. Hopefully we can relax and put this behind us, till the summer at least. 'Arry, 'Arry, give us a wave...

Anyway - read between the lines - he's off in the summerQuestion for his replacement is still a valid one, imv.

Thats also what i understand from what he said. But before the euro or after?

Surely he cant just turn up two weeks before the Euro as the new manager?

no-one can take talk radio shows seriously. come on, they are sensationalized, only accept brick stirring topics and callers, and yes the majority who fall into the trap of calling are idiots in a way.

Just becasue some clueless qunts phoned to moan - automatically Arry must have assumed we all hate him and want Buster and Rosie dead. And now can use that a justification to leave half-way through our best (and his best) season and leave us in the bricker. Surely that would be the equivalent of him reading and taking seriously tabloid rumour stories without a single quote inside. I really don't think Arry would be that naive, personally

Last edited:
Not sure, mate - matters little actually since he'd see us through May and then leave which we all secretely knew would inevitably happen

Last edited:
Kewell spent more time in the treatment room than the boot room. Same with Garcia, Cisse and Baros(though Garcia was a magnificent player on his day). Riise was a good 'un, but so is Jose Enrique. Overall, they've got a better goalkeeper, roughly the same level of defenders save for a massive improvement on Djimi Traore, a worse midfield (though even that would have been better had Hicks and Gilett not sold Alonso and co from under Benitez's, then Hodgson's feet) and a slightly inferior strikeforce. (Again, not really Rafa's fault Liverpool bought Carroll, now is it?) But the point I'm trying to make is that if you played that squad today, in the Prem, they would definitely finish outside the top five, probably even top six. Not through lack of touches of class, but through a lack of squad depth. Rafa overcame that, surely? How else could he mastermind their title challenge in 09?

So in your view a midfield of Riise and Gerrard in their prime, Xabi Alonso back then and Luis Garcia on form is inferior to Charlie Adam, Jay Spearing, Stuart Downing and a much older Gerrard?

Not sure if I'm reading/understanding your post correctly

Back