• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Iirc United fans had him as their no.1 choice to take over there when we sacked him and Arsenal fans too wanted him when Emery left - i think in England he's widely considered to be a top tier manager. Most people outside of Spurs thought he massively overachieved with us from what i have seen and thought we were stupid for letting him go.
We'd've got 2nd this season I think if we'd let him ride out a bit of a bumpy transition year last. Now we've had 2 wasted years, and counting

It's a comparison that doesn't make much sense because he had a much better squad to start with than he'd have at Everton - and I think that's the point bedford makes. He did so with a limited budget and nobody's denying that he did a great job, but he was lucky to get the best striker in the world for free. And yes, he was lucky. Kane's raw talent has nothing to do with Pochettino, just like nobody credits Ferguson for Ronaldo's career, and rightly so. Likewise, Guardiola didn't 'make' Messi.

When it took over, we had already played in the Champions League, something Everton have done once (I think) since the creation of the competition. If he had done the same with Arsenal, who from what I remember, were roughly on a par with us when he took over, he'd be considered a very good manager but a trophyless one too. And that's what he is (except for that French Cup he's won a couple of weeks ago). I don't think anyone outside the Spurs community considers him as one of the best managers in the world. We had a great run, again, nobody denies that but he needs to be there on a regular basis to be considered amongst the best.

Although I broadly agree with most of what you're saying I don't ever judge anything to do with spurs on what anyone else says.
For some reason I really can't understand we are generally played down.
In my lifetime players like jennings, clemence, Gazza and Roberts, are praised for what they did elsewhere and spurs are an afterthought.
Players like mabbutt, Perryman not properly recognised.
Not to mention hoddle and ardiles.
Poch imvho is not an elite manager or the best manager in the world, but he is atm and at the time he was here the best manager for us.

Davies is 28

It was the dembele-less centre midfield that got Poch the sack. The defence was still functioning well

Davies being 28 may as well be 42. So one player in Dembele got Poch the sack? Really I would have pointed the finger at more than just one player missing.

Mourinho inherited Poch's perfectly functioning defence. Verts was on the wane, but otherwise it was the same.

Mourinho chose to try and make a successful high line defence a low block defence. He also chose to loan out our best RB

Perfectly functioning defence?

He wanted to sell Toby, Sanchez was a disaster and Jan was in massive decline.

Last edited:
We'd've got 2nd this season I think if we'd let him ride out a bit of a bumpy transition year last. Now we've had 2 wasted years, and counting

How would we have got second with the current set of players? Not a chance in hell do we have a better first team or squad than the current top four. Its so easy to say this would have happened if Poch rode it out ... we could have got relegated under poch as to how bad the form was. The form was a spiral continuation from the season prior to his sacking.

"Sooooo wrong"... Why stop at 5 "o"? It's an opinion man, everybody is entitled to one. I believe we would attract better players by playing in the UCL, instead of winning the Carabao Cup last season and no UCL. Better players means better team, better team means another UCL and so on till we have better chances to win big trophies.
PS: I have 9 years or so, on this forum alone

Players dont come to Spurs to win the big trophies, they come to Spurs to pick up Champions league exposure to move on to clubs that want to win it. Winning the Carabao cup no matter how tin pot it is seen can bring teams together and springboard them on to greater things. Pep and mourinho have never shunned the competition.

Good video here for all those who think Conte is Mourinho in a wig.

Hugo

Doherthy/New WB New CB Toby Rodon Sess/Reg

Hojberg/Skipp/Lo Celso/New CM

Ndombele/Lo Celso Alli/Stevie/New AM

Kane Son + New ST

Think it's much more likely to see something like the above. The DM in front of the back line needs to be comfortable in possession as do the CB's which is an issue for us. We'll need another striker to rotate up top with Kane (if he stays) and Son. I could easily see Lamela staying and getting games.

Last edited:
Peak Pochettino had Rose, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Walker with good options at both full backs and even centre backs as Sanches did very well at first. The contrast to our current bunch (and late stage Pochettino plus Mourinho time) is stark.

It's what a new manager must get right and fairly quickly. Aurier has been our best right back and looks rather likely to leave.

If it's Conte and a back 3 there are quite a few potentially good solutions already here. As an example Rudiger looked finished at Chelsea and became a key player in weeks/months with a new man in charge and a change of system.

So many uncertainties though, will have to make some big decisions on who to go for and get it right fairly quickly. And probably get several signings right.

Peak Pochettino had Rose, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Walker with good options at both full backs and even centre backs as Sanches did very well at first. The contrast to our current bunch (and late stage Pochettino plus Mourinho time) is stark.

It's what a new manager must get right and fairly quickly. Aurier has been our best right back and looks rather likely to leave.

If it's Conte and a back 3 there are quite a few potentially good solutions already here. As an example Rudiger looked finished at Chelsea and became a key player in weeks/months with a new man in charge and a change of system.

So many uncertainties though, will have to make some big decisions on who to go for and get it right fairly quickly. And probably get several signings right.

Its glaringly obvious that our defence is the biggest issue. However if Conte can bring in a few additions and ship out Dier and Sanchez, perhaps get Rodon up and running it would be a step in the right direction. This team can always score goals, but just as likely to concede currently.

Pochettino never replaced Walker and it was telling. We were unplayable at times with Rose and Walker killing players as they paced forward. We were a right menace.

Wonder if all this we expedite our dealings in the transfer market as well. Can't see Conte being happy with the old Jim White special.

Iirc United fans had him as their no.1 choice to take over there when we sacked him and Arsenal fans too wanted him when Emery left - i think in England he's widely considered to be a top tier manager. Most people outside of Spurs thought he massively overachieved with us from what i have seen and thought we were stupid for letting him go.

Couldn't agree more: he's considered a top tier manager in England and, again rightly. One of the best managers in the world, for me at least, is someone who's considered one of the very best everywhere. That's something he's yet to achieve. You're correct when you say he was wanted by Manchester United and Arsenal (or so we were told, at least) but look who they went for at the end of the day: two former players with little or no experience (although you could argue Solskjaer achieved some measure of success with Molde). Hardly the best in the world...

I suppose it all depends on where you place the limit. If you consider that 50 or 100 managers make that list, then he could be one of them. If it's a Top 10, I can't agree with that.

But the point about Everton stands: over the past decade, they finished above us once (one place and three points). Hardly fit for a comparison.

"Sooooo wrong"... Why stop at 5 "o"? It's an opinion man, everybody is entitled to one. I believe we would attract better players by playing in the UCL, instead of winning the Carabao Cup last season and no UCL. Better players means better team, better team means another UCL and so on till we have better chances to win big trophies.
PS: I have 9 years or so, on this forum alone
NINE whole years, well done.

I was a fan before the internet.

One of his greatest captains also said "it is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low, so that even our failure will have in it an echo of glory." For me the Poch era was the embodiment of that statement.
Remind me, what glory was there in the Poch era?

Good video here for all those who think Conte is Mourinho in a wig.

Hugo

Doherthy/New WB New CB Toby Rodon Sess/Reg

Hojberg/Skipp/Lo Celso/New CM

Ndombele/Lo Celso Alli/Stevie/New AM

Kane Son + New ST

Think it's much more likely to see something like the above. The DM in front of the back line needs to be comfortable in possession as do the CB's which is an issue for us. We'll need another striker to rotate up top with Kane (if he stays) and Son. I could easily see Lamela staying and getting games.

I think he could have us playing some great stuff TBH, the biggest concern is Levy and him. We're fortunate to be able to get a manager of his calibre...

Mourinho inherited Poch's perfectly functioning defence. Verts was on the wane, but otherwise it was the same.

Mourinho chose to try and make a successful high line defence a low block defence. He also chose to loan out our best RB
Your bonkers if you believe that
The perfectly functioning defence you talk about had a torrid 8 months and got Poch sacked
The players were no longer good enough.

Agree with you on Conte but to answer your Poch question: Yes. If he got Everton to a CL final and regular top 3 finishes with 0 signings, average £20m net spend per season and 2 years in Wembley with contracts for key players being allowed to run to the final 6 months, then yes. I'd absolutely have taken Poch at Spurs after that.
I don't think I explained myself properly in my original post so if I may...

I wasn't belittling what Poch achieved here, far from it. The man gave me the best moment in my footballing life (possibly my entire life) but I can't shake the feeling it's because he achieved it here that so many fans are desperate for him to return. My point about if he'd done it at Everton was made to emphasise that we possibly wouldn't have fans telling Levy to 'do whatever it takes to bring him home'. Rodgers has achieved similar at Leicester but there isn't a similar clamour about him, he didn't even make the polls shortlist at the top of this page

Conte, imo, is in a bracket of managers above Poch and if we appoint him, a massive amount of credit should go to Levy for pulling it off

Back