• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

No chance! He only played that season because Soldado was shockingly bad! He might have shown some promise but class is stretching it. I guarantee no spurs fan was seeing Kane as one of the top players that Poch was inheriting in 2014.

Maybe i saw something you didn't. Maybe sherwood saw something you didn't.
Poch came in after that, and then everyone saw.

If you don't believe me you can check on spurscommunity. I thought kane was class from those 3 games at the end of the season where sherwood played him.

But by that measure, Jose also inherited the heart of a great side, better arguably than the one Poch inherited and did nothing with it.

Methinks that it was a little bit more to Poch's success than just "lucking" into a good teaam.

You forget for every Jan there was a Chiriches and Wimmer, for every Dembele there was a Paulinho and Stambouli. There was also Kaboul, Ade Soldado. Many more problems than Jose had when he took hold of Spurs and after last Summer's transfer window. More problems imho than will face the next Spurs manager too.

your trying to re write what I said. Poch didn’t luck into a good team although arguably he was lucky to get the job with his track record of only managing for 4 years and having his previous side bottom when he left
But he was very fortunate to inherit quality players that needed a coach (kinda like what conte will inherit with some players here).
Using Kane as an a example if we had to recruit a striker it would have cost us a lot of money that we didn’t have to eg someone a fraction as good as Kane. Having him here already saved us a lot of money which meant money could be spent elsewhere

and you do know that ade and Kabul were chosen by Poch to be vice captains.... however Kane and mason took offence with the way they reacted to a defeat and had a fight with them. These young players took it upon themselves to fix things and back the coach

Jose did inherit some great players. Kane and son have scored hatful this season
He also inherited a shocking defence which is ultimately why we couldn’t play the game he wanted and he rightfully got sacked.

Mourinho inherited Poch's perfectly functioning defence. Verts was on the wane, but otherwise it was the same.

Mourinho chose to try and make a successful high line defence a low block defence. He also chose to loan out our best RB

I didn't want to rehash old arguments again but...

Rose- even his own fans didn't think he amounted to much. Being POY at Sunderland is not exactly a ringing endorsement when your competition is Craig Gardner and Phil Bardsley ( yes I had to Google them).

Eriksen - no more than an exciting prospect, reflected in his transfer fee and wages. By that measure Jose should have made Ndombele and Lo Celso world beaters.

Walker- I'll give you him.

Jan- yes ok

Kane, no one saw what he would become under Poch. He was a perennial loanee. Had Soldado not been such a bomb, or Adebayor even a little less flaky, we would probably have never heard of Harry Kane. Let alone the world class player we see today because Poch enabled him to be come that player.

Dembele- see Rose.

Rose tinkled off the fans by tweeting "going back to spur to sit on the bench again" or something like that.

Before that a few of us liked him. Remember in milan bloke doing the danny rose celebration and everyone throwing beer on him (when he scored against arsenal).

Anyway wrong thread.

your trying to re write what I said. Poch didn’t luck into a good team although arguably he was lucky to get the job with his track record of only managing for 4 years and having his previous side bottom when he left
But he was very fortunate to inherit quality players that needed a coach (kinda like what conte will inherit with some players here).
Using Kane as an a example if we had to recruit a striker it would have cost us a lot of money that we didn’t have to eg someone a fraction as good as Kane. Having him here already saved us a lot of money which meant money could be spent elsewhere

and you do know that ade and Kabul were chosen by Poch to be vice captains.... however Kane and mason took offence with the way they reacted to a defeat and had a fight with them. These young players took it upon themselves to fix things and back the coach

Jose did inherit some great players. Kane and son have scored hatful this season
He also inherited a shocking defence which is ultimately why we couldn’t play the game he wanted and he rightfully got sacked.
The team Poch inherited was a mess mate. Eriksen and possibly Lamela aside we had wasted the Bale money and we were being tonked by every decent side we played (and West Ham). I shudder when I think of Spurs circa 2014. And people think our next manager will have problems.

That Poch took that team, imho a lot worse than the heart of the current team, ( assuming Kane stays) and forged a team that reached the heights that it did in the League and CL demonstrates what an exceptional coach he is. Certainly by Spurs's very exacting standards.

He has and will win glory at PSG but I get why some Spurs fans write that off. But they can't write off what he achieved here especially when someone like Jose failed. They should absolutely understand why fans like me hold Poch in such high regard.

Last edited:
Let's correct an on going myth. Rose was never player of the year when he was on loan at Sunderland. He was YOUNG player of the year.

No chance! He only played that season because Soldado was shockingly bad! He might have shown some promise but class is stretching it. I guarantee no spurs fan was seeing Kane as one of the top players that Poch was inheriting in 2014.

Don't want to fall out with you mate, but I may be an exception to this part of your post. I followed his progress albeit from Spurs website reports and had massively high hopes for him. I was in town in 2012 and went to see him play for Millwall against Blackpool, he didn't disappoint and scored a 25 yarder. I was in Dublin to see his first Spurs goal against Shamrock Rovers. I was at the Asteras Tripolis match when he scored a hat trick, when a few assholes were laughing at him being a bit gangly, and even more so when he ended up in nets. I am no football coach or scout, but I always had the feeling/instinct that he was going to be something special.

We all know the problem is higher up the chain. Just read that JM wanted to bid for a barca starlet Winger but Levy didn't want to cough up the gbp4m price tag. If there is no dof and no better support for the manager i will suppose that conte is smart enough to come here for the salary.
As mentioned elsewhere, I have no issue with conte, I’m happy with him.
But we’ve gone from hunting 1 style of manager and appointing another.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We all know the problem is higher up the chain. Just read that JM wanted to bid for a barca starlet Winger but Levy didn't want to cough up the gbp4m price tag. If there is no dof and no better support for the manager i will suppose that conte is smart enough to come here for the salary.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Did levy have a budget or something? How very dare he.

I'm sorry but I don't think this is fair. The context of the original post was saying if Poch did what he did for us at Everton, would people take him here after that? I'd say 1000 times yes, he did a ridiculously good job. If you take Everton to regular top 3 finishes, 2 title challenges and a CL final with the constraints he operated under, you'd be rightly seen as one of the best managers in the world.

Poch didn't luck into anything. Even if we accept he inherited some good talent with potential, not one of them had reached the level of performance they ultimately reached under Poch. Similarly, we had for a few years been a side that signed good young players and hoped they developed, but we never made a regular play in the top 4, title challenges, deep CL runs etc.

He is the common denominator and the reason they reached that peak level of performance. Maybe one or two of them would have developed into world class players ala Bale and Carrick. But all of them at the same time? That's Poch.

Don't want to fall out with you mate, but I may be an exception to this part of your post. I followed his progress albeit from Spurs website reports and had massively high hopes for him. I was in town in 2012 and went to see him play for Millwall against Blackpool, he didn't disappoint and scored a 25 yarder. I was in Dublin to see his first Spurs goal against Shamrock Rovers. I was at the Asteras Tripolis match when he scored a hat trick, when a few assholes were laughing at him being a bit gangly, and even more so when he ended up in nets. I am no football coach or scout, but I always had the feeling/instinct that he was going to be something special.
But in 2014, at the point Kane was at when Poch took over, did you think he was already one of the top players in the squad? Or was he a great prospect who needed the opportunity and coaching to fulfill the potential you saw?

Last edited:
Will be happy if it's Conte. It's not perfect, but very little ever is. Of the reported candidates I can see why we would push for him.

Really like that he has demands on terms of spending power and ambition. If we get him that signals something.

Mourinho inherited Poch's perfectly functioning defence. Verts was on the wane, but otherwise it was the same.

Mourinho chose to try and make a successful high line defence a low block defence. He also chose to loan out our best RB

Dier sanchez an ageing Davies and irratic aurier .... perfectly functioning indeed. Talk about agenda.

Same defence that got pochettino the sack.

I'm sorry but I don't think this is fair. The context of the original post was saying if Poch did what he did for us at Everton, would people take him here after that? I'd say 1000 times yes, he did a ridiculously good job. If you take Everton to regular top 3 finishes, 2 title challenges and a CL final with the constraints he operated under, you'd be rightly seen as one of the best managers in the world.

It's a comparison that doesn't make much sense because he had a much better squad to start with than he'd have at Everton - and I think that's the point bedford makes. He did so with a limited budget and nobody's denying that he did a great job, but he was lucky to get the best striker in the world for free. And yes, he was lucky. Kane's raw talent has nothing to do with Pochettino, just like nobody credits Ferguson for Ronaldo's career, and rightly so. Likewise, Guardiola didn't 'make' Messi.

When it took over, we had already played in the Champions League, something Everton have done once (I think) since the creation of the competition. If he had done the same with Arsenal, who from what I remember, were roughly on a par with us when he took over, he'd be considered a very good manager but a trophyless one too. And that's what he is (except for that French Cup he's won a couple of weeks ago). I don't think anyone outside the Spurs community considers him as one of the best managers in the world. We had a great run, again, nobody denies that but he needs to be there on a regular basis to be considered amongst the best.

I like the way one of the reported sticking points is Conte wanting to mould the squad and staff to his needs.

Like this is some foreign concept to Levy.

With Inter in trouble as they are hopefully there's an opportunity to get some players that are familiar with what Conte wants to make the transition easier, if they are combined with the couple tactically intelligent players we have might take slightly less time for us to become a unit.

It's a comparison that doesn't make much sense because he had a much better squad to start with than he'd have at Everton - and I think that's the point bedford makes. He did so with a limited budget and nobody's denying that he did a great job, but he was lucky to get the best striker in the world for free. And yes, he was lucky. Kane's raw talent has nothing to do with Pochettino, just like nobody credits Ferguson for Ronaldo's career, and rightly so. Likewise, Guardiola didn't 'make' Messi.

When it took over, we had already played in the Champions League, something Everton have done once (I think) since the creation of the competition. If he had done the same with Arsenal, who from what I remember, were roughly on a par with us when he took over, he'd be considered a very good manager but a trophyless one too. And that's what he is (except for that French Cup he's won a couple of weeks ago). I don't think anyone outside the Spurs community considers him as one of the best managers in the world. We had a great run, again, nobody denies that but he needs to be there on a regular basis to be considered amongst the best.

Iirc United fans had him as their no.1 choice to take over there when we sacked him and Arsenal fans too wanted him when Emery left - i think in England he's widely considered to be a top tier manager. Most people outside of Spurs thought he massively overachieved with us from what i have seen and thought we were stupid for letting him go.

Dier sanchez an ageing Davies and irratic aurier .... perfectly functioning indeed. Talk about agenda.

Same defence that got pochettino the sack.
Davies is 28

It was the dembele-less centre midfield that got Poch the sack. The defence was still functioning well

You are sooooo wrong.

New fan I suspect. A little quote for you...

“If you don’t win anything, you have had a bad season.” - Bill Nicholson
"Sooooo wrong"... Why stop at 5 "o"? It's an opinion man, everybody is entitled to one. I believe we would attract better players by playing in the UCL, instead of winning the Carabao Cup last season and no UCL. Better players means better team, better team means another UCL and so on till we have better chances to win big trophies.
PS: I have 9 years or so, on this forum alone

Back