• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
He's not even in the top 10 Liverpool managers by win %.
Brought Swansea up, a club that went onto win the LC after he left.
Won titles at celtic that the previous and subsequent managers have also won, not a great indicator. Ronny deila won the league with celtic, its really not an achievement.
Leicester could well be relegated.

Agree that he's underperformed at Leicester this season - from a results perspective, I think thats the main case against him. Odd to hire a manager who's team might go down when you're aiming for top 4/6.

But comparing his Liverpool results to previous managers is imprecise give you need to compare squads, competitive environment, where the teams were when he took over etc. And his Swansea and Leicester stints were previously good

If you'd asked me a month ago, he wouldnt have made my top 10 managers but where we are, if we can't get Potter then I think he's better qualified than Ange P. If someone like Slot or Nagelsmann come back into the reckoning then great, but who else is there? Maybe Levy will surprise us all are find someone who we've all missed

Last edited:
You’d do well to read what I write some more. I’ve never once said anything that isn’t a direct quote shouldn’t be believed. And you’re right, I am assuming. But I acknowledge that in all [most] of my posts. The part you quoted literally said “I think…”

And I highlighted it. It's funny because it seems a lot of people misread you but there isn't much you can do about it, I guess. The vibe I got from you is that you dismiss/look down on other people's opinions, claiming they have no fact to back them up but maybe I've got you wrong.

I tend to treat this as I would a pub conversation. I can't be bothered to check your posts to see who's right so I'm just going to take your word for it.

And no, I don’t pay much attention to any of the noise around the club. It is just that: noise. Everyone is in it for their own benefit, they all have their own motivations. I support Spurs and I will back my club.

I think you're wrong. I agree with Vega, football's a very small world and a good (or bad) reputation can have unexpected repercussions. Vega's a former Spurs player and he works as an agent (I think). He's got nothing to gain from antagonizing Levy and I believe he's expressing an honest opinion. Whether he's right or wrong is another debate. Backing the club no matter what is a stance I can't agree with. I wouldn't stand for an unethic behavior, for instance, just because Spurs are the guilty party. But that's not even the case here. Some people think the club think we have the wrong approach and we could be doing better. It's more a question of listening and assessing advice than backing A or B.

And I highlighted it. It's funny because it seems a lot of people misread you but there isn't much you can do about it, I guess. The vibe I got from you is that you dismiss/look down on other people's opinions, claiming they have no fact to back them up but maybe I've got you wrong.

I tend to treat this as I would a pub conversation. I can't be bothered to check your posts to see who's right so I'm just going to take your word for it.

I think you're wrong. I agree with Vega, football's a very small world and a good (or bad) reputation can have unexpected repercussions. Vega's a former Spurs player and he works as an agent (I think). He's got nothing to gain from antagonizing Levy and I believe he's expressing an honest opinion. Whether he's right or wrong is another debate. Backing the club no matter what is a stance I can't agree with. I wouldn't stand for an unethic behavior, for instance, just because Spurs are the guilty party. But that's not even the case here. Some people think the club think we have the wrong approach and we could be doing better. It's more a question of listening and assessing advice than backing A or B.
Vega works in investment banking now

If Levy thinks the 'ask' is outrageous then it makes sense. It's called anchoring - if I offer you £10 to buy your house you wont entertain a conversation. Same happens if the seller of something sets a price which you think its off the charts. You dont make a counter (as you wouldnt with my £10 offer for your house), you just walk away rather than having negotiations anchored around that price

Probably needs Slot to have 24/48 hours to reflect on things and call his agent to agitate things with F if it has any chance, but feels very low probability

As in any negotiation, it all depends on how much the buyer wants the thing being sold, or vice versa. If someone makes a ridiculous offer you don't have to counter straight off and set a marker, you stand your ground and see if they come back with an improved offer that makes it worth talking. If Levy thinks the price being asked is too high, sure he can just walk away or wait to see if Feyenoord drop their ask, but if he is truly keen on Slot, then he's more likely to make an offer than walk, imo. We don't know how much Feyenoord were asking - let's take the (baseless) €25M mentioned somewhere a few days ago. We know the floor is €6M (based on next summer's release clause). There's a figure in there somewhere that would be reasonable for us to offer I am sure - if we wanted to pursue it.
I think it's more likely something changed with Slot himself that made us decide to move on.

There were also reports that Nagelsmann was interested again - maybe we wanted to restart those talks instead (although I don't think there's been much about that since).

All speculation of course.

FWIW, I am worried that this is going awry but am not in full panic mode yet.

As in any negotiation, it all depends on how much the buyer wants the thing being sold, or vice versa. If someone makes a ridiculous offer you don't have to counter straight off and set a marker, you stand your ground and see if they come back with an improved offer that makes it worth talking. If Levy thinks the price being asked is too high, sure he can just walk away or wait to see if Feyenoord drop their ask, but if he is truly keen on Slot, then he's more likely to make an offer than walk, imo. We don't know how much Feyenoord were asking - let's take the (baseless) €25M mentioned somewhere a few days ago. We know the floor is €6M (based on next summer's release clause). There's a figure in there somewhere that would be reasonable for us to offer I am sure - if we wanted to pursue it.
I think it's more likely something changed with Slot himself that made us decide to move on.

There were also reports that Nagelsmann was interested again - maybe we wanted to restart those talks instead (although I don't think there's been much about that since).

All speculation of course.

FWIW, I am worried that this is going awry but am not in full panic mode yet.

re Slot: we'll presumably hear within the next 24/48 hours or so whether he's signed a new deal. If he has that ends it, if not perhaps he might push for a move

re awry vs panic: there's two factors - time and candidates. On the first, I think we'd want the new guy to have as much time before pre-season to work with the DoF i.e. during June given the amount of work needed on the squad. Candidates (who would unite fans/clubs, play attacking football etc) I think is the bigger challenge unless someone who fits the criteria becomes available when their season ends

There's still a long way to go before we need to really panic about the situation, the season is still ongoing and then you have end of season break before preseason resumes, DoF & Manager in place before then and this can all be forgotten about - of course that doesn't change the rumours that are flying around and with the previous summer of the Nuno appointment still being fresh in the memory people will fairly be skeptical about the direction we are heading - however the right appointment can still be made and like with the eventual Nuno appointment it'll only be once we reach our destination that we can fairly assess what has happened.

There's still a long way to go before we need to really panic about the situation, the season is still ongoing and then you have end of season break before preseason resumes, DoF & Manager in place before then and this can all be forgotten about - of course that doesn't change the rumours that are flying around and with the previous summer of the Nuno appointment still being fresh in the memory people will fairly be skeptical about the direction we are heading - however the right appointment can still be made and like with the eventual Nuno appointment it'll only be once we reach our destination that we can fairly assess what has happened.

Depends on whether start of pre-season (first week July) is the time point to look at, or whether its before that.

We have at least 10 players coming back from loan and Udogie arriving in July, in addition to the existing squad, plus need to add some bodies in key positions. I'd say therefore that if we dont get a manager/DoF til pre-season training starts its inevitably going to impact next season as the new manager/DoF will need to spend July working out who they do or don't want. I think you want them to be able to spend most of June doing desktop work, videos, work with scouts etc

We have a tremendous amount of work to do on the squad and that starts with analysing what we currently have, then what we need, who we can move on, who we can bring in etc.

We will most certainly be on the back foot if this isn’t all settled soon.

Although on the other hand their is likely limited funds available and expectations are rightly low about next season, so does it all actually matter that much.

That is what the ownership have done to the fan base… ground us down to the point not many really care anymore.

But that's not even the case here. Some people think the club think we have the wrong approach and we could be doing better. It's more a question of listening and assessing advice than backing A or B.

I agree with some of what you say but I don't agree that all things need to be definitively one or the other. There is an undoubted trend that exists that the owners only get things wrong or only get things right and you somehow have to stick to a side, I find that unhealthy and borderline macaronic and not indicative of life whatsoever. I personally think we should question information on either side of the argument, its healthy in football and life in my experience

I agree with some of what you say but I don't agree that all things need to be definitively one or the other. There is an undoubted trend that exists that the owners only get things wrong or only get things right and you somehow have to stick to a side, I find that unhealthy and borderline macaronic and not indicative of life whatsoever. I personally think we should question information on either side of the argument, its healthy in football and life in my experience

Er... I agree with you but you don't agree with me. It's a bit strange or maybe you meant to quote the other guy. In any case, 100% this. If I'd add that this is just a conversation between fans, nothing more. I'm not having a go at anyone but it always brings a smile when people write 'I'm not going into panic mode yet'. Even if we did, it wouldn't make a difference, would it?

At the end of the day, it's just an exercice of rationalization/guesswork to try and connect the dots. Message boards are interesting because you can compare notes with other people but you have to accept that, as a fan, you have next to zero control over what happens at Spurs.

Only time I really panicked was the season when Barnsley were in the Prem. I really thought we were going down this time so I burnt most of my savings and bought tickets for the last 3-4 home games. Being there made me feel like I was doing my part. Hey, it worked!

Er... I agree with you but you don't agree with me. It's a bit strange or maybe you meant to quote the other guy. In any case, 100% this. If I'd add that this is just a conversation between fans, nothing more. I'm not having a go at anyone but it always brings a smile when people write 'I'm not going into panic mode yet'. Even if we did, it wouldn't make a difference, would it?

At the end of the day, it's just an exercice of rationalization/guesswork to try and connect the dots. Message boards are interesting because you can compare notes with other people but you have to accept that, as a fan, you have next to zero control over what happens at Spurs.

Only time I really panicked was the season when Barnsley were in the Prem. I really thought we were going down this time so I burnt most of my savings and bought tickets for the last 3-4 home games. Being there made me feel like I was doing my part. Hey, it worked!

Yeh sorry I think I read yours wrong hahahah apologies pal

I agree on the last part, was a real benchmark on my time as a supporter, I was at Barnsley away and there was a real worry we were going down, in fairness to Gross, for the time I think he did well keeping us up.

Although not ideal by any stretch I suppose being at and seeing the bad times, including the time we became a tax free bank for the players and nearly went out of business is why I am maybe more relaxed at the idea of a reset and go again and certainly don't see the future as one of the worse period in the clubs history, a statement I have read more than once from our fans.

Still mindblowing the open goal on Poch. Imagine having an obvious option in front of you for the last several months and not even discussing it.

In the corporate world you'd be sacked for gross negligence on such a call.

This why the "He's an excellent businessman, though" argument is now beginning to fall apart. He's known since January that Conte wasn't going to be here post-May, and yet here we are without any evidence that he has been planning for this moment in a serious way.

You can't eat your cake and have it. Either all reports are fair play or they're not. For days now, you've been saying that anything that isn't a direct quote shouldn't be believed.

You didn't say he threw his toys out of the pram but you implied that because we asked for time to consider (speculation on your part, by the way, unless I missed something), he decided to stay at Feyenoord. The real question is, why did we find out about the 20m now. We couldn't ask his agent? The guy was considering leaving his job and he told his agent, 'hey, please, don't have any informal talks with other clubs on my behalf and, more importantly, don't tell them about my contract situation'. If that's what you want to believe, no problem.

What bugs me is that when someone thinks differently, you're quick to say there's no evidence to back it up. Where's the evidence here? You're assuming, just like everyone else. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it. But your speculation isn't more or less valid than anyone else's. Nobody knows who will get the job at the end of the day (figure of speech...). It's the process that's under question, not the end result.

So you don't give a fudge if people who actually work in football tell you there's a problem with the way the club operate? That's an interesting stance.

I wouldn't waste your time, mate. You'll just be dubbed as 'miserable'. His posts remind me of Nelson putting his patched eye to the telescope: "But I don't see any ships."

Always worth taking motivation into account when reading the press.

There are no football stories around. The transfer market hasn't started up, the season is over. Spurs are high profile and anything related to them will generate views - journalists have columns to fill.

Much like in silly season, many of these stories are completely fabricated. This is especially true of the "Something was going to happen but it didn't" type of story - even more so when there are no quotes to back them up.

Little of this type of story surrounding Chelsea, though, who are (at least) as high profile as us. Looks like they have got their ducks in row while we are still trying to find where the pond is.

Little of this type of story surrounding Chelsea, though, who are (at least) as high profile as us. Looks like they have got their ducks in row while we are still trying to find where the pond is.
Chelsea leak to the press, we don't.

The press have known Chelsea's target since the start, they're speculating because they don't have a clue about ours.

Yeh sorry I think I read yours wrong hahahah apologies pal

I agree on the last part, was a real benchmark on my time as a supporter, I was at Barnsley away and there was a real worry we were going down, in fairness to Gross, for the time I think he did well keeping us up.

Although not ideal by any stretch I suppose being at and seeing the bad times, including the time we became a tax free bank for the players and nearly went out of business is why I am maybe more relaxed at the idea of a reset and go again and certainly don't see the future as one of the worse period in the clubs history, a statement I have read more than once from our fans.

Don't worry about it! No apologies needed! Long time ago, I remember logging out of this very site after someone's answer made me angry. Once I cooled down, I realised how silly it was. Now, I take everything with a pinch of salt but, in this particular case, there was nothing to be offended about.

Oddly enough, I find myself in a similar frame of mind. I still think the club could be doing better in their search for a new manager but it can't be argued that we're light-years away from the 90s. Maybe we'll be back there soon though but only time will tell. Appointing Mourinho and Conte might have delayed the inevitable but after the Champions League final, pretty much everyone seemed to agree that we needed to start a new cycle.

Hmmm. Depends whether you think pitching up in the first week of July to begin your preparations and business for next season is the best way to go about things. Can't imagine it's how Brighton, or many other serious clubs, organise themselves.

Back