• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I get that you don't want Ange, but have a look into the Celtic reaction before and after his appointment and you might feel a little bit more optimistic about his ability to build a connection between the club and fans. As I've said ad nauseam, that's the main reason I want him.

Yep, I know you're a fan of him (or might actually be him!) - as I've said before, I know little about him but will have a read as you say. Just feels like a very random appointment and that there's probably an equally unheard of Ange II, Ange III and Ange IV in other minor leagues in Asia, Latam, Eastern Europe etc. Maybe he'd fly but think there's greater downside than Potter or Rodgers, as unexciting as those two are. Feels a bit un-Levy like decision to make so I think he'll go Potter/Rodgers if either can be persauded

All very underwhelming

I still don't understand why the club is refusing to pay the release fee for Slot. Was the appeal of him just that the board felt they could sell everyone and give him minimal money to spend and he'd still improve us?

If he was seen as the man to rebuild, get us to challenge and work within constraints, then surely just pay the money.

That’s just one of the theories doing the rounds.

There isn’t even confirmation we were interested, let alone got as far as talking terms with Feyenoord.

I still don't understand why the club is refusing to pay the release fee for Slot. Was the appeal of him just that the board felt they could sell everyone and give him minimal money to spend and he'd still improve us?

If he was seen as the man to rebuild, get us to challenge and work within constraints, then surely just pay the money.

Its money out the door immediately and with the €25m Bayern paid to get JN from Leipzig viewed as a high fee, £15m of whatever for Slot is high. However Amorim won't be cheap, Ange will have a fee etc.

The rationale for paying it though is that we're in a desperate position and badly need to improve our image, which Slot seems like a good bet to do

He's basically the Nuno of 2023 mate, since you could say all the same things (roughly, with some variation) for Nuno. Nuno didn't leave his club on the verge of relegation either.
Are you actually having a laugh? Nuno done well at Wolves and thats it. Rodgers has been good where ever he has been.

Rodger’s hasn’t been good anywhere, he’s an embarrassment.

Just not true. Won over 50% of his games at Liverpool, two 5th placed finishes at Leicester, took Liverpool to 2nd (and a 6th and 7th), Swansea to 11th. Won GHod knows how many titles at Celtic.

Given where each of those club were when he arrived, I think he's done well at each of them. I certainly dont think you can say that he failed at any of them

Re Slot and Levy allegedly not wanting to pay the release fee : one of the common refrains/complaints about Levy is that he negotiates everything to the nth degree, dragging things out and often missing out on other opportunities due to his stubbornness.
Yet in this case, he just walked away before even having any conversations with Feyenoord or (directly with) Slot? It doesn't add up to me, not if we had a serious interest in him.

Nonsense.

Ndombele, GLC, Rodon, Winks, Reguilon, Gil, Spence, White, Parrott and Scarlett will be returning along with all the first team squad from last season plus Udogie.

Hope the weather is good as some might need to change outside!

I meant the manager :)
But yes I do look forward to seeing Dier, Sanchez and co setting the world ablaze again

Any indication that we’re about to hire Rodgers will provoke a massive backlash. He won’t be our next manager.

So rightly or wrongly, it wont be a popular hire I agree. I'm not sure whether Levy will pick up on that though.

We're also running out of credible options which might force Levy to go to Rodgers.

Re Slot and Levy allegedly not wanting to pay the release fee : one of the common refrains/complaints about Levy is that he negotiates everything to the nth degree, dragging things out and often missing out on other opportunities due to his stubbornness.
Yet in this case, he just walked away before even having any conversations with Feyenoord or (directly with) Slot? It doesn't add up to me, not if we had a serious interest in him.

If Levy thinks the 'ask' is outrageous then it makes sense. It's called anchoring - if I offer you £10 to buy your house you wont entertain a conversation. Same happens if the seller of something sets a price which you think its off the charts. You dont make a counter (as you wouldnt with my £10 offer for your house), you just walk away rather than having negotiations anchored around that price

Probably needs Slot to have 24/48 hours to reflect on things and call his agent to agitate things with F if it has any chance, but feels very low probability

This club... i swear... I'm so close to binning the 2 STs off

It's not the manager thing for me - I'm resigned that we are going to get another 6 month journeyman.

But I'm going to cancel my OneHotspur membership (deadline for that is Tues) if the weekend's results mean there are no European/midweek games to go to next year

If we didn't start talking to Feyenoord how do we know what the release fee is going to be? Feyenoord may have put out the 20m figure and sent it to Levy through intermediaries (or some hack made it up), but it would only ever be a starting point for negotiations.

There were some quotes from a Dutch journalist a few weeks back to the effect that Slot might not be keen on moving his family to another country at this stage. Maybe it just suits him to stay for now and if Feyenoord have given him a pay increase that makes it an easier choice. So the conclusion that the deal broke down because Levy wasn’t willing to stump up the cash isn’t necessarily correct. I mean it could be the case but ultimately it’s up to Slot.

If we didn't start talking to Feyenoord how do we know what the release fee is going to be? Feyenoord may have put out the 20m figure and sent it to Levy through intermediaries (or some hack made it up), but it would only ever be a starting point for negotiations.

See my reply to Glenda's Legs above. If you're about to begin a negotiation and you thikn the other side's ask is so off the charts, then by acknowledging it you anchor those negotiations in a different ball-park. you might say that if they ask an outrageously high number (£20m say) then counter with something extreme in the opposite direction (£100k say) but that just kills relationships. If we're only prepared to pay say £5m, then if their ask is £20m there isnt the basis for a conversation. You need them to move, say to £10m-£15m, to start a conversation

Don't have an answer to the first part about waiting til they've won the title, maybe Slot said he wouldn't entertain anything until then? Can only speculate.

As usual, the club has said nothing, so how am I choosing to believe what they say?

There were reports (like this one) that Slot was keen to stay and take Feyenoord to the Champions League. Maybe they were able to convince him to stay. Maybe Spurs balked at the compensation figure and that put Slot off. I didn't say he threw his toys out of the pram.

You can't eat your cake and have it. Either all reports are fair play or they're not. For days now, you've been saying that anything that isn't a direct quote shouldn't be believed.

1. Identify Slot as a top target
2. Wait until Feyenoord have won the league to sound out Slot's agent
3. Begin negotiations with Feyenoord
4. Surprise at €20m asking figure, want to take some time to consider/negotiate
5. Slot signs a new contract

You didn't say he threw his toys out of the pram but you implied that because we asked for time to consider (speculation on your part, by the way, unless I missed something), he decided to stay at Feyenoord. The real question is, why did we find out about the 20m now. We couldn't ask his agent? The guy was considering leaving his job and he told his agent, 'hey, please, don't have any informal talks with other clubs on my behalf and, more importantly, don't tell them about my contract situation'. If that's what you want to believe, no problem.

I would not say Potter or Rodgers are top-class. I've said for the past couple of weeks that I think our top 3 candidates are Slot, Ange and Amorim, with Luis Enrique being of interest. If an out-of-work manager was a top target, it would have happened already.

What bugs me is that when someone thinks differently, you're quick to say there's no evidence to back it up. Where's the evidence here? You're assuming, just like everyone else. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it. But your speculation isn't more or less valid than anyone else's. Nobody knows who will get the job at the end of the day (figure of speech...). It's the process that's under question, not the end result.

I couldn't give a fudge if Jose Mourinho, Ramon Vega, some journalist looking for some clicks or a dingdonghead on Twitter criticises the club.

So you don't give a fudge if people who actually work in football tell you there's a problem with the way the club operate? That's an interesting stance.

Still mindblowing the open goal on Poch. Imagine having an obvious option in front of you for the last several months and not even discussing it.

In the corporate world you'd be sacked for gross negligence on such a call.
You dont have access to any real information though.

You can accuse Levy of many things, but stupid isn't one of them. He is aware of our underperformance and the pressure to get this next appointment right. He will be aware of how popular Poch is and how he could easily appease the majority of fans by appointing him. If it was that simple he would be here, or at least offered the job.

So why isn't he? Well for starters it appears Poch demanded having full control over transfers at Chelsea, he won't get that here. We want the DOF model, and regardless Levy has already experience of overseeing Poch transfers and to be fair the success rate isnt great. You can argue as much as you want how they weren't his signings, that is all too convenient - if he wasnt having a say in transfers he or any manager worth their salt would have walked.

As for not even discussing with Poch, how do you know? Levy and Poch have a personal relationship, there is no need to involve agents which means you wouldn't hear any talk in the media as they wouldn't be aware other than for the usual fabricated media nonsense.

In short, yes Poch was an obvious quick fix to a lot of fans but that doesn't mean it was the right answer when you know only a small segment of the story.....

Back