• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Would - what could you achieve with a core of Romero, Spence, Udogie, Bentencur, Bissouma, Skipp, Sarr, Gil, Kulusevski and Richarlison - not be worth having?
No. You've either (as chairman) obtained faith in Poch from his previous time here or you haven't.

Even if he went into detail and specifics about tactics and individuals how does that compute in Levy's football mind? Complete tokenism.

It's a typically misinformed yet provocative Gutterboy post. It was a handball going by the laws at the time. The football laws didn't also suggest that we had to be timid and passive for the rest of the 90 minutes, but we did, such is life. If only we had an inspiring manager....

After one of the worst penalty decisions in a major final (one so bad they changed the rules), Liverpool were afforded the opportunity to sit deep with lines behind the ball and stifle whatever we had (which wasn't nearly as much as we hoped).

That decision changed the entire nature, pace and plan of the game. BTW, it was still 90 degrees at kick-off. Being handed a goal in the first minute and being able to sit back was a massive advantage. It is a shame we only woke up/recovered in the last 20 minutes.

After one of the worst penalty decisions in a major final (one so bad they changed the rules), Liverpool were afforded the opportunity to sit deep with lines behind the ball and stifle whatever we had (which wasn't nearly as much as we hoped).

That decision changed the entire nature, pace and plan of the game. BTW, it was still 90 degrees at kick-off. Being handed a goal in the first minute and being able to sit back was a massive advantage. It is a shame we only woke up/recovered in the last 20 minutes.

Thanks for toning down your response to make it less spiky ;) Yup, penalties do tend to change games, it pretty much killed off our hopes from the off with the mentality instilled in to the players at the time. I suppose we did well not to properly brick it and get destroyed but it was soul crushing to watch.

I don't really like to think about that game so it's my bad for commenting in the first place!

Thanks for toning down your response to make it less spiky ;) Yup, penalties do tend to change games, it pretty much killed off our hopes from the off with the mentality instilled in to the players at the time. I suppose we did well not to properly brick it and get destroyed but it was soul crushing to watch.

I don't really like to think about that game so it's my bad for commenting in the first place!

You should watch it back sometime. I think we had incredible mentality to get there in the first place. It was a season where many things conspired against us, yet we somehow still got to that CL final and still finished 4th.

The mentality instilled in the players at the time? You mean the same players who fought back in both the semi's and quarters that year?

The mentality instilled in the players at the time? You mean the same players who fought back in both the semi's and quarters that year?

Getting to the final was an amazing achievement no doubt but they didn't turn up when it mattered. Obviously that's not exclusive to Poch's time but more just our general recent history, I'm not suggesting it's an easy thing to fix but let's hope the next boss can change things for the better.

Getting to the final was an amazing achievement no doubt but they didn't turn up when it mattered. Obviously that's not exclusive to Poch's time but more just our general recent history, I'm not suggesting it's an easy thing to fix but let's hope the next boss can change things for the better.

It really mattered in the two previous rounds too, you can't put the final down to mentality, especially when in reference to comebacks, given we came back against greater odds in the previous round and against a better team in the one before that. We were just beaten fair and square in the final by a better team.

It really mattered in the two previous rounds too, you can't put the final down to mentality, especially when in reference to comebacks, given we came back against greater odds in the previous round and against a better team in the one before that. We were just beaten fair and square in the final by a better team.

I think it’s difficult to say that with certainty. The penalty incident which should never have been set the tone for the rest of the match. Had that penalty not been given who knows how the rest of the match would have unfolded.

Returning to the topic of our next manager I saw Sky’s on-pitch interview with Ange Postecoglou after Celtic won the SPL this afternoon and he comes across very impressively. I know we won’t go for him but if people want a unifier then he’s our man.

Returning to the topic of our next manager I saw Sky’s on-pitch interview with Ange Postecoglou after Celtic won the SPL this afternoon and he comes across very impressively. I know we won’t go for him but if people want a unifier then he’s our man.
He's done well with them but it's become basically a one-team league

You should watch it back sometime. I think we had incredible mentality to get there in the first place. It was a season where many things conspired against us, yet we somehow still got to that CL final and still finished 4th.

I have watched it back since. In the ground (the home showing) at the time I was convinced we were going to equalise and win it in ET right up until the 2nd goal, and watching the highlights again some months back, I still cant believe we didnt, we had some decent opportunites.

Had that final been against Barcelona I would not have minded as much, the fact it was against them f#ckers made it 10 times worse and the sh#t I took at work for the weeks after that was horrible

I think Poch would be the logical choice, and his name will hang over the club until he gets another crack at it.

But I guess we should remember that he was fired after an appalling run of league form.

Maybe Levy just can’t get past that.

Or maybe he wants his next DoF to pick and is sorting that first.

Or maybe it’s already done and someone is seeing the season out elsewhere.

Indeed he did. Unfortunately Poch didn't also win the FA Cup only a few months after being in charge....
Unfortunately Arteta hasn't reached a Champions League final. I don't think an FA cup win, as good as it is, tops reaching the final of premier club tournament. But he didn't win I hear you say. If you look at the records of the great managers all of them have lost at least one CL final. You have to be there though to have a chance to win it obviously.

Unfortunately Arteta hasn't reached a Champions League final. I don't think an FA cup win, as good as it is, tops reaching the final of premier club tournament. But he didn't win I hear you say. If you look at the records of the great managers all of them have lost at least one CL final. You have to be there though to have a chance to win it obviously.
Winning any trophy, getting over the line is the hardest thing. Of course it's great we got to that final, but actually winning a trophy trumps getting to a final and just because the CL is more prestigious doesn't change that. They beat Emirates Marketing Project in the semi final and Chelsea in the final of the cup, if we did that under Poch you would never hear the end of it. Instead we just have to listen to how we almost did this and almost did that. Arsenal are running the best PL team probably ever closer to the title than any of Pochs teams did against weaker teams at the top. Poch was great for us, but @Bedfordspurs is right - Arteta has done more.....

Back