• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

This is what I posted in the match thread about Sissoko, much as it pains me to say it --

" He demonstrated appalling touch and positional sense. He ran with the ball a few times- and then lost it as often as not. He is the only player in the team that looks clumsy and comical at times. The best bit was when, square to the ball, and marked closely by two players one between him and the ball, he put his hand up (not particularly convincingly) demanding the ball! Sometimes I wonder if he is playing the same sport."

He is just not very good.
You can post it in as many threads as you want, you’re still talking nonsense. And the fact that the only direct negative highlight you could pick out was him asking for the ball when you don’t think he should have just sums it up. The rest are just generalisations you could say about any player and wouldn’t make it true....

You can post it in as many threads as you want, you’re still talking nonsense. And the fact that the only direct negative highlight you could pick out was him asking for the ball when you don’t think he should have just sums it up. The rest are just generalisations you could say about any player and wouldn’t make it true....

That's not the only direct negative highlight I could pick out. It is the only one I chose to pick out. I could write a list.

As for whether it is nonsense - that's a matter of opinion - unlike the number of times his first touch was poor.

He can do something brilliant to come away with the ball, then misplace a 5 yard pass. There's a huge sense of relief every time he manages to get the ball to a team mate, even if they have to run back to pick it up.

I do wonder what his team mates make of his ability. I'm sure there was a period in the second half when people were reluctant to pass to him. He does some odd things for a player of his supposed quality, besides his poor touch - runs forward with the ball into a bunch of players, plays a short pass to a player 5ft away and then stays in the same spot, alongside the player he passed to, together with the player marking him, for example.

He is quite useful carrying the ball at home when the game opens up. And he has got an engine on him. But that shouldn't be enough to be regular in a team that aspires to win the league.

He slows our play down because of his constant miss control. He can't even manage a simple five yards square ball for an overlapping player to run on to, without it going behind the runner. Any pass over ten yards bobbles. He cannot kill the ball dead... ever! It's also pretty clear that others in the team have lost confidence in him to hold possession in tight areas of the pitch, because they refuse to pass to him. Even his power is of questionable value because he has no touch. He made one really good run in the second half, had players spread ahead of him, but then he over ran the ball when not even under too much pressure. Sums it up really.

I do wonder what his team mates make of his ability. I'm sure there was a period in the second half when people were reluctant to pass to him..

The way his teammates played, he would have been far more justified not passing to them, because thy would have lost it instantly - and not cared enough to get back to retrieve it, either. If that's true, the goddamn nerve of our players - play like disinterested League 2 players and then turn their nose up at the one guy (apart from Sanchez) who tried.

He slows our play down because of his constant miss control. He can't even manage a simple five yards square ball for an overlapping player to run on to, without it going behind the runner. Any pass over ten yards bobbles. He cannot kill the ball dead... ever! It's also pretty clear that others in the team have lost confidence in him to hold possession in tight areas of the pitch, because they refuse to pass to him. Even his power is of questionable value because he has no touch. He made one really good run in the second half, had players spread ahead of him, but then he over ran the ball when not even under too much pressure. Sums it up really.

That's a fair assessment -sadly. It's a strange because you would think Didier Deschamps is a good judge of midfielders, and it is hard to believe that a player could rise to that level without better first touch and control - maybe he just doesn't concentrate enough (although I'm inclined to believe that first touch is automatic by his age). I shall go back and look at some of his Toulouse performances.

Did Sissoko try today? Perhaps he did. Though, what good is trying when you don't have the skill to control simple balls? Losing the ball long before we can feed Kane. What good is running through 3-4 Arsenal-players when you cannot pass the ball to a team mate? What good is a strong engine when your tires are like ice skates.

When Sissoko finally controls the ball and decides to pass, his team mates will have to recycle as the pass is either hip height, under-hit or over-hit.

He slows any team down. I wish Wanyama was fit, so we could play Dembele instead of Sissoko.

I'm not a big Sissoko fan at all but I am amazed at some of the reactions being posted. Those having a go at Sissoko really need to take a hard look at yourselves. If you watched that match and came away thinking we lost because of him then your objectivity is gone and maybe your credibility with it. Why don't you direct your criticism against the players who actually deserve it today. They are plenty to choose from.

He can do something brilliant to come away with the ball, then misplace a 5 yard pass. There's a huge sense of relief every time he manages to get the ball to a team mate, even if they have to run back to pick it up.

Around the 70th minute he pulled a brilliant move from the edge of our box. Let the ball go accross him, used great strength to shield it, turned the player and broke on them through the centre. Had two players ahead of him and made 40 or 50 yards.... Then promptly over ran it and gave up possession.

At no point did I get excited at the potential goal. And when it broke down I didnt even react. Why? Because I fully EXPECTED it.

Which is about as straight an assessment I can make of him. He just isnt good, despite his best efforts.

Nobody covered themselves in glory today, not really. But nobody was as inept as Sissoko either.

I'm not a big Sissoko fan at all but I am amazed at some of the reactions being posted. Those having a go at Sissoko really need to take a hard look at yourselves. If you watched that match and came away thinking we lost because of him then your objectivity is gone and maybe your credibility with it. Why don't you direct your criticism against the players who actually deserve it today. They are plenty to choose from.
Exactly, it’s embarrassing. If you don’t rate the player then I can deal with that, whatever. But to single him out when he was one of only two or three who tried anything and was involved with most of our best bits in the first half especially is ridiculous. It’s the same every time we lose, no matter how bad the favourites are it’s always Sissokos fault. Funny that when Neville was talking about Who might be coming off when making the subs it was Dele and Eriksen he talked about, not Sissoko because they were amongst others were genuinely poor, not Sissoko. If the others had stepped up we wouldn’t even be having this ridiculous debate now, but because we lost the same old predictable nonsense gets posted in the Sissoko thread. It’s embarrassing, a lot more so than Sissokos performances I’m afraid....

involved in the best bits in the first half? You mean the moment when we pass him through the midfield, ready to test their defenders, only for him to need 3 touches to control the ball before the final miscontrol, giving initiative back to Arsenal? Or when Trippier comes back and Sissoko thinks he pushes forward, giving the ball away? You mean the cross towards kane which was easy for the defender to clear? Sissoko is so frustrating to watch. We know that whenever he gets the ball there is no threat to the goal. None what so ever! He cannot shoot, he cannot control the ball, he cannot pass, he cannot run with the ball (never any end product), and he takes forever on the ball.

Against good teams we need to be clinical, be efficient because we won't get loads of chances. Sissoko needs loads of chances just to do the basics correct. This means less service for Kane, Eriksen and Alli.

Modern football don't give time for Bambi on ice to sort his legs.

Did we lose because of Sissoko? Who knows what would've happened if Lamela was fit. We need a player that can carry his own weight with the ball. Lamela wasn't fit. Wanyama wasn't fit. Alderweireld wasn't fit. We missed Dier/Wanyama in center midfield. Sissoko played. We lost the midfield battle. The referee gave silly decisions to Arsenal and they got their goals.

involved in the best bits in the first half? You mean the moment when we pass him through the midfield, ready to test their defenders, only for him to need 3 touches to control the ball before the final miscontrol, giving initiative back to Arsenal? Or when Trippier comes back and Sissoko thinks he pushes forward, giving the ball away? You mean the cross towards kane which was easy for the defender to clear? Sissoko is so frustrating to watch. We know that whenever he gets the ball there is no threat to the goal. None what so ever! He cannot shoot, he cannot control the ball, he cannot pass, he cannot run with the ball (never any end product), and he takes forever on the ball.

Against good teams we need to be clinical, be efficient because we won't get loads of chances. Sissoko needs loads of chances just to do the basics correct. This means less service for Kane, Eriksen and Alli.

Modern football don't give time for Bambi on ice to sort his legs.

Did we lose because of Sissoko? Who knows what would've happened if Lamela was fit. We need a player that can carry his own weight with the ball. Lamela wasn't fit. Wanyama wasn't fit. Alderweireld wasn't fit. We missed Dier/Wanyama in center midfield. Sissoko played. We lost the midfield battle. The referee gave silly decisions to Arsenal and they got their goals.
He broke through the lines of Arsenals midfield with the ball several times for starters, linked well with Trippier a couple of times and actually got physical against Arsenal.

The comments about he can't control a ball is a load of nonsense, especially as there's been several occasions in both tight spaces on the touch line and when under severe pressure from more than one player he has done just that - he is awkward looking on the ball but you're massively over exaggerating.

But more than that, you're missing the point. He did his job today, can you not understand that? Everyone knows he's not a massive goal threat. But what he does is run powerfully and quickly with the ball over distance which is needed to break, and covers a lot of ground defensively and is a physical presence and he delivered on all those things today. It's up to Eriksen, Dele etc to do the fancy stuff and they were awful. They are the technically gifted ones and didn't deliver anything all game, if they had we wouldn't be having this discussion. You can't have a midfield full of Eriksens hence why a Sissoko type can balance it well, and if you can't comprehend that then that's one of several reasons why you're not a manager....

It is entirely valid criticism. His touch and control were awful today several times. Often resulting in stilting our play or flat out losing the ball.

Im not blaming him for the loss, but I think he was our worst player and I think he was a problem. For many reasons just as @Nitel rightly points out.

I thought he was terrible.

All this about him carrying the ball forward - what is the point when it amounts to nothing because he loses it? It achieves nothing. HE achieves nothing.

Ill give credit for doing a job defensively. And for putting in a shift. The thing is though, its just not enough to justify his place. And it certainly doesnt justify people calling his performance any good.

Im amazed he made it out for the second half, let alone the full game.

And lets be clear. I have no bias or agenda here. What possibly could be in it for me for him to not perform? I WANT him to be brilliant, same as all players. And, same as all players, when I come on here I say what I see.

I quite seriously doubt his apologists can say the same.

And lets be clear. I have no bias or agenda here. What possibly could be in it for me for him to not perform? I WANT him to be brilliant, same as all players. And, same as all players, when I come on here I say what I see.

I quite seriously doubt his apologists can say the same.

Ah, his 'apologists'. I see. Well, from my perspective as an 'apologist', you absolutely don't want him to be brilliant - you want him to be awful, because it allows you to dump on him as your sacrificial lamb, the player you knew would be sh*te. You can criticize him and be happy that you're being proven 'right', as if always expecting the worst from a player is ever truly 'right'. You brave, visionary fan, you.

I quite seriously doubt you can ever say what you see with regard to Sissoko, unless you 'see' only what you want to see and nothing else. Which is admittedly possible - probable, even.

Once again, there were eight players on that field immeasurably worse than Sissoko in every aspect of the game - from defensive to offensive to showing a bit of heart, fight and spirit. They gave the ball away more, they were lazier, slower, less interested, more useless and less dangerous in *every* respect. Kieran Trippier, Eric Dier, Jan Vertonghen, Ben Davies, Mousa Dembele, Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen, Harry Kane. Eight golden boys who were indescribably awful at times.

And yet, you choose to label Sissoko as the worst out of all them.

It does indeed make some things quite clear.

I don't think anyone is blaming the result on Sissoko.

Pretty much everyone had a poor game, Poch and the ref included. The reason we're talking about Sissoko is that this is yet another poor match where he shows that he is not good enough for us. There's no need to ask why Alli or Eriksen start - they're two if the best players in the league. There are a number of very good reasons to ask why Poch persists with Sissoko though.

At least he reduced the number of times he tackled himself today. Made up for it by tackling Kane though!

Last edited:
Did he really break the lines? Was there any end product? Did he create a chance? or did he break one line only to lose the ball?

I disagree that his strength is to run powerfully and quickly with the ball. Whenever he does this the move never ends in a goal chance. It always ends with giving the ball to the opposition or a goal kick.

I agree that he defensively is good. I wish I could say great, but I cannot. Because when he actually wins the ball, there is a high risk that his abysmal technique lets him down, slowing down or even breaking our counterattack or plainly returning the ball.

You say we need defensive minded players to let players like Alli and Eriksen play their game. Sissoko is not a DM, he is an AM. Sissoko is an AM that doesn't threaten the goal and slows down our attack. I wish he was a DM, except that our DM-s actually need to know how to efficiently control a ball and pass.

It is a mystery how a player with so limited technique as Sissoko has made it so far.

Back