• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

He drove forward, beat a few players, realised he was at a dead end, tried to turn back and didn't find a team mate. A pacey player going on a run ahead of his team mates - often that drives a team forward if used at the right time. Maybe it wasn't the right time in that situation but it's hardly 'really, really clumsy'.

The closest first team regular we have who will go on fast runs with the ball is Son. Let's see how many blind alleys he goes up in his next start where he loses the ball. I bet a fair few. They have to do it, they won't get every one of them right, but they don't deserve it being held up as an example of terrible play because of it.
How many times has Son tackled himself this season?

How many times has Son tackled himself this season?

Son is frustrating at times, but the difference is that he can also make things happen.

Son has earned the right to have a few off games or key moments ... he is a footballer.

Son is frustrating at times, but the difference is that he can also make things happen.

Son has earned the right to have a few off games or key moments ... he is a footballer.
In direct contrast to Sissoko, Son has been good for us and other clubs over a significant time period.

Sissoko had a good match for France (that wasn't all that good but he made a couple of excellent runs) and a good match against us for Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Must stay away from this ... ahh fudge it

Sissoko is a squad player for us, and that is how he should be judged (Son as above comparison is often a first 11 player).

Fans forget one of the first seasons that we started to show our potential (under Harry), it was players like Bentley, Niko and others who as squad players made an impact or just did a job when required.

CritIcising Sissoko's control for his actual goal now in this thread? Unbelievable.

I'm not too sure about criticizing him for scoring a goal. That seems unfair.

Putting the way his goal came into context seems fair though.

It came in a counter attacking situation. Like me and others have pointed out this seems to be where he's useful. It would be more of a difference maker for me if he started delivering in tight game conditions against teams sitting back.

It was an objectively poor finish from a very good goalscoring position. He was lucky to score, even from there. As I've pointed out before he has had a relatively poor end product most of his career. Poor finishing is symptomatic of that, not a sign of a change in form or ability. Had he started looking clinical in front of goal it would have made me reconsider.

I'm not too sure about criticizing him for scoring a goal. That seems unfair.

Putting the way his goal came into context seems fair though.

It came in a counter attacking situation. Like me and others have pointed out this seems to be where he's useful. It would be more of a difference maker for me if he started delivering in tight game conditions against teams sitting back.

It was an objectively poor finish from a very good goalscoring position. He was lucky to score, even from there. As I've pointed out before he has had a relatively poor end product most of his career. Poor finishing is symptomatic of that, not a sign of a change in form or ability. Had he started looking clinical in front of goal it would have made me reconsider.

The point was about his control for the goal, not his finish. His finish, we can all agree is very Moussa, very Zokora esque.

Absolute hogwash who exactly?

The people that don't see his "improvement" as significant enough to get plaudits getting excited over a pass.

Those saying players like son can have a off day and no one will say anything .... comparing a player on a off day vs a player on apparent ascendency says it all.

Further to this sonny has earned the right to have more than a few off days.

No one is saying Son can't have off days. The point was that even on good days, good players will lose the ball in matches. That Son can do that and Sissoko can do that.

He hasn't just improved this season, he's been prettt good and getting better. Again, no one is saying he's a ten out of ten, but I think continuing to pick out specific moments, which happen to every player, as proof that he is rubbish is just not on. Let's forget last season and judge Sissoko on this. He's starting, he's contributing, and we're winning when he does. What exactly is the problem?

@BrainOfLevy I really think you are over doing it in an attempt to defend him.

Internet debate 101 - eventually people polarise and argue extremes to make their point. Although, at this time, the point is essentially lost.

Sissoko hasnt been anywhere near as good as you are arguing. With the best will in the world he just hasnt.

Is he getting better? Yes. Is he actually any good? Well, no, but maybe he will be soon.

His base performance is that low he has moved from "utter turd" to "not a liability".

Not "Decent" to "Really contributing".

Only a few games ago his team mates were passing around him rather than too him, it speaks volumes

I have no agenda against him. I certainly hope he continues to improve and really impacts upon this season well, but its wishful thinking at best to suggest he has been any good so far.

@BrainOfLevy I really think you are over doing it in an attempt to defend him.

Internet debate 101 - eventually people polarise and argue extremes to make their point. Although, at this time, the point is essentially lost.

Sissoko hasnt been anywhere near as good as you are arguing. With the best will in the world he just hasnt.

Is he getting better? Yes. Is he actually any good? Well, no, but maybe he will be soon.

His base performance is that low he has moved from "utter turd" to "not a liability".

Not "Decent" to "Really contributing".

Only a few games ago his team mates were passing around him rather than too him, it speaks volumes

I have no agenda against him. I certainly hope he continues to improve and really impacts upon this season well, but its wishful thinking at best to suggest he has been any good so far.
Exactly what you have done - he never has been as bad as youre saying, and never will be. Lets be honest, might aswell just end this debate. Those that for some weird reason cant acknowledge hes been decent this season and useful at worst, arent gonig to budge so might aswell just leave it there no?

While I agree its been done to death, I absolutely do not agree Ive done the same thing.

All last season he was awful. Just a few games ago I distinctly remember Davies and Alli passing triangles around him on the edge of the box, when it was blatant that had it been Eriksen they would have given him the ball to shoot. And thats just one example, which is incredibly damning of a player wouldnt you agree?

He has improved a great deal in the few games since, but "decent this season" is an exaggeration to say the least.

"Decent the last 3 games" I might accept, but even that is arguable - all comes down to your definition of "decent".

Is he improving? Absolutely. And as stated I really hope he continues to do so.

I firmly believe players can ride momentum to crazy levels, if he can build a head of steam who is to say we wont all be praising him as a great player by the end of the season?

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, right now he isnt even in first team contention when all are fit.

While I agree its been done to death, I absolutely do not agree Ive done the same thing.

All last season he was awful. Just a few games ago I distinctly remember Davies and Alli passing triangles around him on the edge of the box, when it was blatant that had it been Eriksen they would have given him the ball to shoot. And thats just one example, which is incredibly damning of a player wouldnt you agree?

He has improved a great deal in the few games since, but "decent this season" is an exaggeration to say the least.

"Decent the last 3 games" I might accept, but even that is arguable - all comes down to your definition of "decent".

Is he improving? Absolutely. And as stated I really hope he continues to do so.

I firmly believe players can ride momentum to crazy levels, if he can build a head of steam who is to say we wont all be praising him as a great player by the end of the season?

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, right now he isnt even in first team contention when all are fit.
Well of course, when the passing is intricate around a box of course hes not the best player to call on - he isnt there to play that role in the team though. Everyone knows hes not a good finisher himself included so its hardly damning, its just knowing your teammates strengths. You dont see anyone hesitant in passing to him when we are breaking out from a defensive position and he has done on several occasions to good use for us now.He gets around the pitch, and gives it simple to the more creative players to do their thing.

He's been putting in to me some 7/10 performances which to me is decent, but Im sure you'll just tell me they have been 5 or 6s at best so we are just going round in circles....

I wont bother, because there is no point.

Ill only say I have no agenda against him. At the same time, Ive no agenda for him (in so much as Im not compelled to defend him irrationally, though of course I want him to succeed).

There are plenty here that cannot say the same.

France must be a really brick team devoid of any talented players for Deschamps to have recalled him for their two most crucial games of the qualifiers.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-praise-after-tottenham-revival-a3648871.html

So Poch plays and trusts him and Deschamps recalls him to the national side. Looks like, together with the pundits, both are quite clueless and should be reading the @scaramanga and @Gazza posts on the Moussa Sissoko thread on GG a bit more.
Maybe they both value physicality over ability.

I don't.

The way both France and Spurs play would suggest otherwise. The sensible conclusion is that they value both - its certainly hard to be successful in the PL with just a team of technicians....
We seem to do it very well when he's on the bench/before he joined us.

We seem to do it very well when he's on the bench/before he joined us.
Normally we have two of Dier, Wanyama, Dembele for physicality and yes Im well aware they are good on the ball too. And we are also doing it well when Sissoko is one of the two 'physical' options playing this season....

Normally we have two of Dier, Wanyama, Dembele for physicality and yes Im well aware they are good on the ball too. And we are also doing it well when Sissoko is one of the two 'physical' options playing this season....
You missed the word "despite" out then ;)

Back