• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

I'm glad to see that people are now talking about Dembele in a way that isn't suggesting he is likely to be out of the door because he has no place. Obviously not everyone feels like that but I have definitely noticed a feeling that he should be sold. I think his ability is up there as one of the best at the club and he is so athletic.......I definitely accept he slows things down at times and should score much more often than he does but I think he offers us so much that it would be a shame if we didn't tie him down to another 3-4 year deal.

I would like to see him playing advanced in the games against teams we should beat both home and away as his movement in tight spaces and holding the ball up works great to get the pacier players involved. Against the top 4/5 I would always play him in the two with Dier or Alli depending on the athleticism of the opposing team as I think he covers the ground well defensively and is very hard to shake off/dispossess plus his energy means he can go box to box.

I would still be surprised if he was still with us next season. Ignoring whether he is a good fit for our playing style for a minute, his age means that it will be the optimum time to sell him and reinvest in the squad.

If he can find more courage when he is up there, if he believes in himself more and if he can score even 8 goals for the remainder of the season AND if he can stay fit, then he would absolutely push for the first 11 and deservedly so. Right now, between him and Chadli, the reason Chadli would get the nod is his goalscoring record. I believe that both will be squad players long-term. We shall see.

CHadli has been awful this season, but last season he was a machine. I'd play him in the middle two when everyone is fit. Dier and Dembele. His versatility makes him a great squad player for the future though.

It will be very dumb for us to dump Dembele just because of his age.

I think that depends on how much he will feature and how much we could get for him. If he is a squad player and we could get £10m, I think that it could be worth cashing in and spending the money on some young prospects.

I'm not sure whether I count as a doubter. I like him as a player but I am not sure that he is suited to our current set up.

I haven't seen the game today and it would be cobblers to comment after seeing five minutes of highlights on MotD later. I am overjoyed that he got a goal today though and from what I have read/heard on the radio, he had a good game, which is great.

I would like Dembele to succeed as much as anyone but there was a moment around 46' when we were on the counter 2 vs 3 ball played to Dembele on the right in the middle of the Cherries half; what does he do? stops; dribbles around himself and then passes back to Toby in our own half! A minute later a ball is passed to Alli in a similar position of the left and he instinctly plays a first time pass forward to Eriksen.

I don't think it was surprise or coincidence we improved when Dembele was withdrawn and Alli moved forward behind Kane.

I would like Dembele to succeed as much as anyone but there was a moment around 46' when we were on the counter 2 vs 3 ball played to Dembele on the right in the middle of the Cherries half; what does he do? stops; dribbles around himself and then passes back to Toby in our own half! A minute later a ball is passed to Alli in a similar position of the left and he instinctly plays a first time pass forward to Eriksen.

I don't think it was surprise or coincidence we improved when Dembele was withdrawn and Alli moved forward behind Kane.

Dembele is a supremely talented player (said it before, think he shields the ball better than anyone in world football), but his decision making/intelligence is not great.

He has a part to play in this squad, he can calm things down, he adds physicality and can/does play a utility role for Poch.

On form, he gets a start, if his form dips, we have options, all good.

CHadli has been awful this season, but last season he was a machine. I'd play him in the middle two when everyone is fit. Dier and Dembele. His versatility makes him a great squad player for the future though.

I agree mate, but actually believe Poch will look for other options to both either from within the squad/youth system or the transfer market.

I agree mate, but actually believe Poch will look for other options to both either from within the squad/youth system or the transfer market.

I'd say we will look within as its and easier sell to the fans and the board and arguably less of a gamble due to lack of cost

You look at the likes of Pritchard who is currently forgotten about by the fans due to his injury and Onomoah coming through and I think we as fans will give them time if they get games. If we were to go out and spend serious money the players coming in will be expected to hit the ground running

Last week when Njie came on and had some poor touches some of the fans in the PL were being absolute arses and he knew himself he was having a bit of a mare. Fans reacting like that to a young player an kill a career in one game...but with homegrown we are much more patient now and that's gonna lead to us bringing through more and more for the squad (but possibly not the first 11)

Dembele seems to be one of those players that has to be mom each game otherwise people question his place at the club. As soon as he drops below an 8 out of 10 performance you see posts questioning him, not just in the side, but at the club. I can't understand why really, seems like a perfect squad player (at worst) to me.

Dembele seems to be one of those players that has to be mom each game otherwise people question his place at the club. As soon as he drops below an 8 out of 10 performance you see posts questioning him, not just in the side, but at the club. I can't understand why really, seems like a perfect squad player (at worst) to me.

..because it's the hope that kills you - a bit like Spurs, and Dembele is a VERY sexy player truth be told.
He's definitely in the last-chance saloon at Spurs for me, but he is certainly a great option to have in the squad. Hopefully Poch is the coach that is able to whisper in his ears the best.

it is very rare he would get an 8 out of 10 from me, maybe once or twice a season his level is usually a 6 for me, not that i mind him actually

Absolutely how I feel mate. Not sure I agree with all the negativity towards him. IMO He was very good in AVB's first season alongside Sandro. He was inconsistent in the following season but then the whole team struggled at times as we know in that season. Was pretty good last season and good this season. I really hope he signs a new contract otherwise I am sure there will be no shortage of takers for his signature.

Yup, it can be frustrating to see someone with the ability to shrug off opponents as easily as Dembele invariably finish off his surging runs with a Parker-pirouette followed by a safe sideways pass; especially when he possesses a decent shot and really should be chipping in with more than 1 league goal a season considering his immense natural talent.

Can but hope that Poch is able to change his safety-first mindset and persuade Dembele to take a few more risks in the attacking 3rd... then he might go from being a very useful squad player to being our own Yaya...

2cyid6f.jpg

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2015/matches/803259/player-stats

Last edited:
I wish someone had got hold of him earlier in his career and fined him every time he took more than two touches.
But its too late for him to change his style now.

Back