• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

When a team misses loads of point blank chances like Leicester did but we only conceded one goal, that’s not good defending. That’s just poor finishing. It’s different if you’re having pot shots from outside the area but that’s not how the game panned out. They constantly got behind our defence.

Our first goal was from a set piece, the second was a shot from outside the area and the third was a breakaway goal against a team chasing the game.

We may have got positive results over the last few weeks but the results have masked bad performances. It was only a matter of time until we lost a game if we continued to play badly.

I fancy us to get 4 points from the next two games which will be a decent return but im sure people have already got the tiredness excuse ready if we lose to arsenal or Chelsea even though both teams have will have played 3 games in a week like us with Chelsea having extra time to boot and Arsenal having an away game against a bitter rival.

I fancy us to get 6 points

I fancy us to get 6 points

Chelsea will be demoralised after losing a final on penalties but a home game against their most hated rival is the perfect game for them to bounce back from and they would love nothing more than to put the final nail in title challenge coffin (not that I think we are in the title race mind you but that’s how they will view it). Having said that our win there last season was a big psychological barrier that we broke through and they will also be physically drained after extra time so both of those things are in our favour. A draw is the most likely result IMO.

I fancy us to beat Arsenal. We’re better than them, were at home (relatively speaking) and we have a good record against them in recent years. Mind you if we play like we have since Xmas (bar Dortmund) then I’m not confident of getting a result against either.

Chelsea will be demoralised after losing a final on penalties but a home game against their most hated rival is the perfect game for them to bounce back from and they would love nothing more than to put the final nail in title challenge coffin (not that I think we are in the title race mind you but that’s how they will view it). Having said that our win there last season was a big psychological barrier that we broke through and they will also be physically drained after extra time so both of those things are in our favour. A draw is the most likely result IMO.

I fancy us to beat Arsenal. We’re better than them, were at home (relatively speaking) and we have a good record against them in recent years. Mind you if we play like we have since Xmas (bar Dortmund) then I’m not confident of getting a result against either.

I’d argue currently we’re some way better than Chelsea as a team
We have an embedded system and the advantage of stability
They rely on hazard too much as we know and their coach hasn’t a clue in this league

Arse we are better than and they struggle away from home

You have to despair at some so-called fans. I totally understand that after a let-down like yesterday some people react first and reflect later, but a mere 10 days after the Dortmund masterclass, this is sheer madness (and embarrassing).

That caller is a fudging idiot.

Honestly, what an embarrassment! If anyone knows this plum, sort him out.

Thing I’m a bit concerned about is that usually at this point of the season we are really kicking into gear, or have already kicked, and aren’t dropping points in games like that. I know Burnley are also in great form for them, and I think we have made adjustments in order to account for a good CL progression, but usually we don’t look as bad we did yesterday at this point in the season.

Poch has done a wonderful job keeping the squad motivated throughout the season and we’ve had a bit of luck on our side too, but I wonder if it’s becoking clearer for certain players that they won’t be here beyond the summer and it’s more difficult to motivate them. We just had ten days off, I expected our players to be refreshed, and although Burnley were good, we didn’t look ourselves.

I worry about players like Eriksen, Aurier, Rose, and Toby. To be fair Rose and Toby seem fine, if anything performing better. But I wonder if the players that suspect that they might not be here much longer start just giving a little bit less, with Poch having no more carrots or sticks to get the best out of them for the next couple of months.

Eriksen always has blips when contract talk is up in the air. He wasn't helped yesterday by average performances around him. I thought the desire of all was fine. I think yesterday was a combination of genuine off-day and also Dean allowing Burnley to thug their way into it. We missed Dier and Alli big-time.

Well they outplayed us in midfield, looked sharper than us, looked better defensively. The only area we outperformed them in was we scored more goals than them. So pretty much every other area of the pitch they outplayed us. They weren’t rubbish shots either, they missed a one on one from about 6 yards out and they also missed a penalty.

By that logic united deserved to beat us a few weeks ago even though we battered them in terms of chances created and they barely had a chance other than the one they took.

What's your point here? Fine. Swap the game wins. Still 3 out of 6 over two matches. Honestly mate, I don't know what you're looking for or trying to say. Tell you what, how would YOU deal with the next two games? I know how I would and I bet I know how Poch will; go out to win them both, as we always do, and challenge a side in the middle of our best ever PL season to bounce back and show all the fudging doubters, moaners, wingers and PS4 managers out there who we are, what we do and what we've been doing.

The biggest issue I have with this persistent moaning about performances against the likes of Leicester and the whole "it's been coming" caper, is that winning when you're dealing with massive injuries to key players and utilizing squad players to the max is actually a GREAT thing. We have essentially served Freixenet and convinced people it's Ruinart. FFS. That is amazing work.

A reminder. Yesterday we were missing Eric Dier and Dele Alli, two players MADE for a game like this.

Last edited:
What's your point here? Fine. Swap the game wins. Still 3 out of 6 over two matches. Honestly mate, I don't know what you're looking for or trying to say. Tell you what, how would YOU deal with the next two games? I know how I would and I bet I know how Poch will; go out to win them both, as we always do, and challenge a side in the middle of our best ever PL season to bounce back and show all the fudging doubters, moaners, wingers and PS4 managers out there who we are, what we do and what we've been doing.

The biggest issue I have with this persistent moaning about performances against the likes of Leicester and the whole "it's been coming" caper, is that winning when you're dealing with massive injuries to key players and utilizing squad players to the max is actually a GREAT thing. We have essentially served Freixenet and convinced people it's Ruinart. FFS. That is amazing work.

A reminder. Yesterday we were missing Eric Dier and Dele Alli, two players MADE for a game like this.

Steff, it’s not “moaning” to say the performances recently aside from Dortmund need to be better. Would I rather we win and play badly then lose and play well? Of course I bloody would. Poch himself has even said we need to play better. I was responding to a post that claimed the result was down to rustiness when to me, it was more to do with the fact that everyone except Kane had a bad day and played well below their best. Burnley also had a 2 week lay off. If we play like we did yesterday against Chelsea and Arsenal then 100% we will get beat unless we get some very lucky breaks.

Steff, it’s not “moaning” to say the performances recently aside from Dortmund need to be better. Would I rather we win and play badly then lose and play well? Of course I bloody would. Poch himself has even said we need to play better. I was responding to a post that claimed the result was down to rustiness when to me, it was more to do with the fact that everyone except Kane had a bad day and played well below their best. Burnley also had a 2 week lay off. If we play like we did yesterday against Chelsea and Arsenal then 400% we will get beat unless we get some very lucky breaks.
But Chelsea and the arse play differently to burnley. They will allow us more space and that should allow us to play more expansively. Plus they will clog us in different ways.
Plus they won’t waste time like them.
Plus mike dean isn’t the ref.
Plus Poch will get a berry good reaction from da playaz is dis moment.

Steff, it’s not “moaning” to say the performances recently aside from Dortmund need to be better. Would I rather we win and play badly then lose and play well? Of course I bloody would. Poch himself has even said we need to play better. I was responding to a post that claimed the result was down to rustiness when to me, it was more to do with the fact that everyone except Kane had a bad day and played well below their best. Burnley also had a 2 week lay off. If we play like we did yesterday against Chelsea and Arsenal then 400% we will get beat unless we get some very lucky breaks.

Mate,

If that is really what your post was a response to, I have to say it did not read that way.
And FWIW I FULLY believe one of the factors was the time off after a period of activity where we were forced into some insane scheduling. You say Burnley had time off, they've been working with a more "relaxed" schedule for some time. Ask any professional and they will say they don't want two weeks between games during the season as the rhythm and flow is everything, especially if you've been playing three games a week for months and then suddenly get a long break. It's like traveling a lot in a short amount of time with little sleep and not getting sick until you get home and unwind.

As for your last sentence, IMO, why say it? Obviously we'll get done if we don't step up. But circumstance, opposition style of play, ref, so many factors will be different. I personally think Dean had a pretty big influence on the game by failing to punish persistent fouling designed to break the game up.

Mate,

If that is really what your post was a response to, I have to say it did not read that way.
And FWIW I FULLY believe one of the factors was the time off after a period of activity where we were forced into some insane scheduling. You say Burnley had time off, they've been working with a more "relaxed" schedule for some time. Ask any professional and they will say they don't want two weeks between games during the season as the rhythm and flow is everything, especially if you've been playing three games a week for months and then suddenly get a long break. It's like traveling a lot in a short amount of time with little sleep and not getting sick until you get home and unwind.

As for your last sentence, IMO, why say it? Obviously we'll get done if we don't step up. But circumstance, opposition style of play, ref, so many factors will be different. I personally think Dean had a pretty big influence on the game by failing to punish persistent fouling designed to break the game up.
Dean is not the only one to do that. The last couple of seasons Watford have kicked seven bales of brick out of us and got away w it. And they’re not the only ones.

Dean is not the only one to do that. The last couple of seasons Watford have kicked seven bales of brick out of us and got away w it. And they’re not the only ones.

We need to start kicking back, a couple of years ago we were brilliantly nasty, we seem to have softened up a bit.

I can’t remember a decent dive in any recent game either, our brickhousery coach needs a kick up the arse.

Mate,

I agree fully Mike Dean had a bad game. He should have sent off Bardsley, should have booked Barnes for ripping Foyth’s shirt. But we can’t control how a ref performs. We can however control how WE play. As for the long layoff, it certainly didn’t help and I’m not saying it isn’t factor but for me, the biggest reason we lost was due to another poor performance and Burnley were up for it. We’ve not played well for a while Dortmund aside but we’ve dug out results. Leicester would have beaten us if not for better finishing IMO. We were poor against Saudi Sportswashing Machine but they barely threatened us and we did just enough to win. I believe it was only a matter of time we could continue being not at our best before a team punished us and that’s how it turned out.

I'm still waiting to hear what the FA are going to do about Poch's outburst on Saturday, I suppose they are waiting to get Deans report which he posted second class on Sunday morning. It could be a very interesting situation.

Back