• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Poch has a chance here to become one of the best known managers in the game, big club, a very good team, a chairman who has shown he will back his managers, a great new ground on the way and a loyal support level.

Look what Fergie did at Utd, Wenger did at the Arse, Shankly did at L'pool. they turned big clubs into massive clubs and Poch could/will do the same here. I for one are 100% behind the dream that both he and Levy are chasing and have faith that they will achieve it.

Loving the sentiment. I think he will be here for the majority of that contract tbh. I think he likes the idea of keeping us competitive whilst we wait for it to be built and then having at least a couple of seasons enjoyment out of the natural bounce it gives us. If he does that and keeps us generally at the level we have been this season then he can take his pick I would imagine for his next job.

Loving the sentiment. I think he will be here for the majority of that contract tbh. I think he likes the idea of keeping us competitive whilst we wait for it to be built and then having at least a couple of seasons enjoyment out of the natural bounce it gives us. If he does that and keeps us generally at the level we have been this season then he can take his pick I would imagine for his next job.

I think he can do better then keep us at the level we are at the moment, I really believe that with a bit of luck he could raise us to a higher level and by doing that also make his name as well, if he does do so I can see him being here for a long time?

I think he can do better then keep us at the level we are at the moment, I really believe that with a bit of luck he could raise us to a higher level and by doing that also make his name as well, if he does do so I can see him being here for a long time?

You surely don't mean higher and bigger than the behemoth Leicester City.....no effing way...I'm not having that.

Totally agree. He has spoken numerous times about creating or building a 'legacy'. You do not do that in one or two seasons. I believe he intends to be around for the long term. Look at what he has said about Ferguson being his inspiration and aspiration. I think he wants to be somewhere where he can build a team (as opposed to buy a team) to win things and then cement that by building on that success and winning more things (I am thinking doubles and trebles here and I probably need to calm my imagination down).
It really feels as though we are at the beginning of a very special era. We just need to keep realistic about what is feasible in the early stages.

You surely don't mean higher and bigger than the behemoth Leicester City.....no effing way...I'm not having that.

Leicester have tinkled all over the league so be careful using them or this season generally as a yardstick.

Perhaps looking at points is more useful in terms of where we are.

I agree, I think perhaps I didn't want it to come across too enthusiastic but I think if we are in the same sort of position regularly when he leaves as we are now, with hopefully some trophies in the bag then he will definitely have cemented his legacy here and made himself a target for any team on the planet.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has insisted he did not discuss taking over as Manchester United manager in his lunch with Alex Ferguson in London on Monday.
Former United manager and current Old Trafford director Ferguson was photographed leaving a London restaurant after a meeting with Pochettino, sparking rumours that the Argentine was being lined up to replace Louis van Gaal at United.

Yet Pochettino has since signed a new five-year contract to remain with Tottenham, as he offered this view of his exchange with Ferguson.

"For me, it was a dream come true," Pochettino said of his meeting with the 13-time Premier League winning manager.

"When I was young, when I started my career as a manager, he was always my inspiration, my reference and when you can share two hours with a person who, for me, was the greatest manager in the world, the history of football, only you can enjoy.

"It was difficult because I wanted to stop time but it was impossible. It was fantastic.

"Did he ask about Manchester United? No. If you know Sir Alex Ferguson, he is a person we can all learn from because he has a fantastic history about football and about life."

Pochettino's comments suggest his lunch with Ferguson offered an insight into his eagerness to learn from one of the game's greats and it appears he has developed a similar winning mentality to the former Man Utd boss, as he sets his sights high for success at Tottenham.

"The supporters and their feelings are very important, but we are professional," added Pochettino.

"To move on, we need to sometimes put out the emotions, to be clever, we need to fight first to improve ourselves and be strong in our ideas.

"I can understand it, for our supporters it's special to be above Arsenal, but I want to be second not because we'll be above our enemy, our opponent, but because we are ambitious.

"Maybe one day Arsenal finish eighth, we finish seventh, yes we're above but it's not a success for us."

Totally agree. He has spoken numerous times about creating or building a 'legacy'. You do not do that in one or two seasons. I believe he intends to be around for the long term. Look at what he has said about Ferguson being his inspiration and aspiration. I think he wants to be somewhere where he can build a team (as opposed to buy a team) to win things and then cement that by building on that success and winning more things (I am thinking doubles and trebles here and I probably need to calm my imagination down).
It really feels as though we are at the beginning of a very special era. We just need to keep realistic about what is feasible in the early stages.

Without a doubt this, it took Fergie several seasons before he turned Utd into the top team ( there were fan protests with banners saying they wanted him out ) but the board stuck with him and the rest is history. It will not happen overnight here either and ALL fans need to be patient because this guy is the real deal and there may be a few fences along the way.

This is worth a read. I few more interesting quotes in there. Jesus paid the bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tottenham-Saudi Sportswashing Machine-arsenal

I really want to know what it was they spoke about.

Seems strange to meet with a prominent figure of another club for any reason other than moving away. If it is some kind of managerial master class then you'd wonder why a rival of sorts would be the one to give it.

I really want to know what it was they spoke about.

Seems strange to meet with a prominent figure of another club for any reason other than moving away. If it is some kind of managerial master class then you'd wonder why a rival of sorts would be the one to give it.

I don't know about all occupations but in my job we do meet with our competitors from time to time, as a group but also individually, as there are benefits to be had in discussing common (non-competitive) challenges the industry faces. I don't see anything odd with that happening within the world of football. It is wholly conceivable that Poch and Ferguson would have ideas in common to mull over, and no doubt Ferguson can still wield some influence within certain areas, so is a useful figure to have on your side. Plus we know there is a mutual admiration.
Maybe if Poch hadn't already announced his verbal agreement with the club before the meeting I would be less sanguine about it.
And worse case scenario, Ferguson was trying to poach Poch, and Poch arranged the lunch to confirm that he was signing a new contract with us. It would be foolish (in any industry) to totally burn your bridges.
Whatever it was, he is ours now for the foreseeable future.

I don't know about all occupations but in my job we do meet with our competitors from time to time, as a group but also individually, as there are benefits to be had in discussing common (non-competitive) challenges the industry faces. I don't see anything odd with that happening within the world of football. It is wholly conceivable that Poch and Ferguson would have ideas in common to mull over, and no doubt Ferguson can still wield some influence within certain areas, so is a useful figure to have on your side. Plus we know there is a mutual admiration.
Maybe if Poch hadn't already announced his verbal agreement with the club before the meeting I would be less sanguine about it.
And worse case scenario, Ferguson was trying to poach Poch, and Poch arranged the lunch to confirm that he was signing a new contract with us. It would be foolish (in any industry) to totally burn your bridges.
Whatever it was, he is ours now for the foreseeable future.

@Craig_J also there have been plenty of managers in the past who have spoken of the advice and guidance that Ferguson has offered them.

Not quite summer yet where I live. And not quite the transfer market being open yet. But this is the most important deal of this summer's transfer market for us.

Brilliant brilliant man and we're very lucky to have him around. Delighted that he seems loyal to us.

For once we can have a long term manager without any rumours about his future ! Pochettino is already the longest-serving and most successful Argentine manager in the EPL. But it is not that difficult to achieve when the only other Argentine manager was Ardiles with Spurs in 1994 !

Back