• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Poch is in his first season at the club.

He has a comparatively young and far from ideal squad at his disposal.

He is trying to establish a very challenging new style of play.

He is trying to get decades of weak club mentality out of our system.

He is having to cope with playing many more games than all but one or two other Premier League teams.

And yet.....

We're within touching distance of third.

We're in the semi final of the League Cup.

We're still in the Europa League and the FA Cup.

.....All in all, given the circumstances, we're not doing too badly.

Preach!

Not if he had made that statement that I made in my previous post.

And why should he care what the media think????? what matters is what is best for the team. so in that respect he did what he thought was right...but for reasons I have given I think it was the wrong call.

In terms of keeping players onside I would rather us pander to Jan rather than ade....who would you rather have in our squad next season.....Jan or Ade?

Hopefully I have not made to much of a meal of explaining where I/Grimbsy are coming from.

I guess Poch knows better how this will affect the players than us though.

Poch is in his first season at the club.

He has a comparatively young and far from ideal squad at his disposal.

He is trying to establish a very challenging new style of play.

He is trying to get decades of weak club mentality out of our system.

He is having to cope with playing many more games than all but one or two other Premier League teams.

And yet.....

We're within touching distance of third.

We're in the semi final of the League Cup.

We're still in the Europa League and the FA Cup.

.....All in all, given the circumstances, we're not doing too badly.

And yet, if you think about this a little deeper, would any of us have expected any less at this exact stage of the season?? Perhaps the LC semi final is a nice bonus, but to be in Round 4 of FA Cup, Qualified from group in Europa, and in and amongst the hunt for top 4????? First season with young squad or not, I'd say he's only achieving what is to be expected at this stage.

Ask the question again at the end of Feb/mid-March when we've played a tough tie against Fiorentina, had to overcome a tricky away tie at fortress Bramell, and played Arsenal, West Ham and Liverpool in the league. Then we'll see if we're "not doing too badly"!!

Last edited:
And yet, if you think about this a little deeper, would any of us have expected any less at this exact stage of the season?? Perhaps the LC semi final is a nice bonus, but to be in Round 4 of FA Cup, Qualified from group in Europa, and in and amongst the hunt for top 4????? First season with young squad or not, I'd say he's only achieving what is to be expected at this stage.

Ask the question again at the end of Feb/mid-March when we've played a tough tie against Fiorentina, had to overcome a tricky away tie at fortress Bramell, and played Arsenal, West Ham and Liverpool in the league. Then we'll see if we're "not doing too badly"!!

Therein lies the problem ...

After last season, I don't think many of us expected us to come close to challenging for top four this season.

Besides which, I think this season has proved that the squad situation was worse even than some feared it was - with a significant number of our players no longer having the excuse of poor management, or no structure to our play, for their inadequate performances. Poch is having to manage the squad as best he can. But there can be no doubt that he is either having to field players who could really do with a rest or having to field players who are clearly not suited or not up to the task of effecting his style of play.

This handicap, along with the huge number of games that we have had to play thus far, should not be underestimated.

LC is a magnificent bonus, but other than that, still to early to place any expectations on Poch. His work so far has been outstanding, though. I only wish he'd dump the FA Cup given a) the fixture pile-up we're going to head into come March, and b) the possibility of glory at Wembley already within our reach if we don't Spurs it all up against the Blades in the second leg.

Grimsby I take on board some of your points....I agree making Ade Captain was a strange decision from poch. giving our armband to a player who has not been fighting our cause recently does not sit well with me....however I have had time to think about it and I think I can understand his logic....he is trying to get Ade firing and feel part of the squad after recent events......I am not saying I like it but I understand his motives....ostracising Ade would be a bad move for the rest of our season....dont like Ade but I appreciate that.

making that decision to give Ade the armband I don't think we can say he hasn't got any bottle.

It is quite clear that you also have a point with our performances this season...personally I am encouraged that we have still maintained decent results without being a fluent team. Basically Grimsby I would prefer us to turn on the style at the end of the season when it matters though I concede that may or may not happen.
I think we have some very talented young individuals and the nucleus of a good side....I do not rate our senior players bar Hugo.

Poch has loads to do....particularly in the summer....but if we cant offload unwanted players who are on big bucks then we are stuck because we need them off the wage bill before we can revamp the squad.

Stick with it Grimsby and try to find some encouragement that although we might not be playing well we are still getting results...which many people think is the hallmark of a good team.

Cheers for the response, appreciate it.
I'm hoping we turn it on top, we see glimmers, Chelsea obviously, and I actually thought we were good against Sunderland in our play, it was the lack lf chances that were concerning, but we looked good. And usually I'm really pistiive about Spurs, I defended AVB like anything to the likes of hully and such. I'm patient, I know it will take time, it's the combination of not really seeking genuine development of our play other than increeible fitness levels, coupled with constantly bizarre decisions that I don't agree with, and often don't seem to work.

I find it worrying. And at times very frustrating. And coming here baffled with how pistiive people are about how we're playing. We're getting good results and our form looks I pressive, but for me it's vlinding people to our performances. How often have we created nothing and a player (usually kane or eriksen) pulls out a worldy to get a result? I fear if we don't develop the play, the results will stop.

Obviously I'd love it all to start working, I like poch and want him to succeed. I just need convincing in the pitch and not just the shorelines.

I'm hoping we turn it on top, we see glimmers, Chel53a obviously, and I actually thought we were good against Sunderland in our play, it was the lack lf chances that were concerning, but we looked good. And usually I'm really pistiive about Spurs, I defended AVB like anything to the likes of hully and such. I'm patient, I know it will take time, it's the combination of not really seeking genuine development of our play other than increeible fitness levels, coupled with constantly bizarre decisions that I don't agree with, and often don't seem to work.

I find it worrying. And at times very frustrating. And coming here baffled with how pistiive people are about how we're playing. We're getting good results and our form looks I pressive, but for me it's vlinding people to our performances. How often have we created nothing and a player (usually kane or eriksen) pulls out a worldy to get a result? I fear if we don't develop the play, the results will stop.

Obviously I'd love it all to start working, I like poch and want him to succeed. I just need convincing in the pitch and not just the shorelines.

Fair enough the difference for me is I can see a gameplan. High tempo one or two touch football in an attempt to break the opposition down. Front 4 very narrow so they can interchange passes quickly. Add in players pressing in packs at times when we lose it. We are nowhere near there yet. And its frustrating that he picks players that I want to see binned already. But I can see what he is trying to do.

I'm hoping we turn it on top, we see glimmers, Chelsea obviously, and I actually thought we were good against Sunderland in our play, it was the lack lf chances that were concerning, but we looked good. And usually I'm really pistiive about Spurs, I defended AVB like anything to the likes of hully and such. I'm patient, I know it will take time, it's the combination of not really seeking genuine development of our play other than increeible fitness levels, coupled with constantly bizarre decisions that I don't agree with, and often don't seem to work.

I was very negative early doors as it appeared to be a total mess but how can you not say we're getting better? There is still a problem with when other less suited players play but when our best XI is out and particularly the Mason and Bentaleb combo in midfield I think we've looked pretty impressive. We're definately performing better.

I do think there's a real need to look at performances beyond the results. Both when getting good and poor results.

However, I also think there's a need to remember that what is currently lacking (imo, and seemingly in your opinion too) is the ability to break down the bottom half and mid table sides. This is one of the most difficult things to do in football for me at least, and it's no surprise that this takes time. Doing so with the amount of changes Poch has overseen (and those that preceded him) was not going to be easy. I've highlighted the amount of changes in the past in this thread.

Looking at the performances I think there's a positive trend. I know you disagree, or if you agree you think that positive trend is too small. On this I'm not sure we can come to an agreement. But I think looking at our performances earlier this season and now there really has been progress. Despite our last month and a bit being ridiculously packed with games. A packed fixture list typically is where teams struggle to develop play in my opinion, so again, not unexpected if the development is a bit slow.

I do think there's a real need to look at performances beyond the results. Both when getting good and poor results.

However, I also think there's a need to remember that what is currently lacking (imo, and seemingly in your opinion too) is the ability to break down the bottom half and mid table sides. This is one of the most difficult things to do in football for me at least, and it's no surprise that this takes time. Doing so with the amount of changes Poch has overseen (and those that preceded him) was not going to be easy. I've highlighted the amount of changes in the past in this thread.

Looking at the performances I think there's a positive trend. I know you disagree, or if you agree you think that positive trend is too small. On this I'm not sure we can come to an agreement. But I think looking at our performances earlier this season and now there really has been progress. Despite our last month and a bit being ridiculously packed with games. A packed fixture list typically is where teams struggle to develop play in my opinion, so again, not unexpected if the development is a bit slow.

Thing is, recently we have not struggled to break down these teams, we did earlier in the season when we had poor results, but we have been putting away these teams very regularly since. We've not been HAMMERING them regularly, i.e. comfortably winning by 2 or more goals, but when you consider our actual squad quality on paper relative to these teams, particularly when compared to the days when we used to dish out quite a few hammerings, when we had VDV, Modric, Bale, on-form and fit Lennon, King at the back, we're not of the quality to expect to go out and smash 2-3 past all these teams. Even Chelsea and City struggle to do this regularly.

It's a very tough and competitive league and we find ourselves near the top of it having played a majority of the season (i.e. over 50% of games).

Our performance so far has to be regarded as positive. Let's see how well we can keep it going and improving towards the end of the season.

Former Spur Ossie Ardiles inspires Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino

Ossie Ardiles could soon inspire Tottenham to yet more glory, with head coach Mauricio Pochettino saying his countryman is a "very important" sounding board for him.

The diminutive midfielder is one of the greatest players to have ever donned the lilywhite shirt, helping the club win the UEFA Cup in 1984 and two FA Cups.

The first of those came in 1981, when Ardiles fulfilled his ambition to "win the cup for Tottingham", an immortal line from the song 'Ossie's Dream', released in the build-up to that final.

It is a song current head coach Pochettino knows all about, but is not something he will be repeating should they progress through Saturday's fourth-round tie against Leicester and onto the final.

If they do succeed in the FA Cup, one of three cup competitions Spurs are still involved in, then Pochettino revealed fellow former Argentina international Ardiles will have played a key role.

"I speak to him a lot," he said. "He always comes to my head coach's room before the game and we will have a chat.

"And he sees me here (at the training ground) once a week and has lunch with us and spends time with us. We have a great relationship.

"He is a legend. If we get success in the future, he will have played an important part. He has spent time with us and given us advice - he is a very important person for me.

"He explained to me how important it is for the supporters and the club to get to finals.

"That is what we are fighting for, to get the victory against Sheffield United on Wednesday and to get past Leicester."

Saturday's captain against the Foxes may well be at the opposite end of the popularity stakes to Ardiles.

The Capital One Cup semifinal first leg against Sheffield United saw Emmanuel Adebayor booed for the second successive match.

That reception appears to be a fallout from his comments in November suggesting Spurs would rather play away due to the pressure being put on them, compounding a perceived lack of interest from the highly paid striker.

However, Pochettino says the booing has to stop if Tottenham are to enjoy a successful campaign.

Asked if he was concerned the fans' boos could drive Adebayor out, he said: "Yes, but we need to change that.

"We need to give our supporters good performances and good victories to create a better atmosphere. This is our way.

"We need to try to create this with good performances and victories. We have the opportunity to offer our supporters another victory and change their feelings about us."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-fa-cup/story/2261497/former-spur-ossie-ardiles-an-inspiration-for-tottenham-boss-mauricio-pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino has joked he may record a new FA Cup final song with Chas and Dave if Tottenham get there

Pochettino: "I know all about Ossie's Dream. I have heard the song and even seen a video of it."

Pochettino: "Would I record a song with Chas and Dave if we get to the final this season? Maybe. Yes, why not?"

Pochettino: "I would let my staff sing because they have good voices and I don't!"

--

How can anyone not love this guy? Cool personified.

Mauricio Pochettino has joked he may record a new FA Cup final song with Chas and Dave if Tottenham get there

Pochettino: "I know all about Ossie's Dream. I have heard the song and even seen a video of it."

Pochettino: "Would I record a song with Chas and Dave if we get to the final this season? Maybe. Yes, why not?"

Pochettino: "I would let my staff sing because they have good voices and I don't!"

--

How can anyone not love this guy? Cool personified.

how about to the tune of 2 unlimited - theres no limit.......

'Mopo...Mopo mopo....mopo mopo
mopo theres no limit

no no limit just give us a cup
we dont need to sign jeffrey schlupp
no no limit just reach for the sky
were going to win and well do it with pride....

mopo mopo mopo mopo theres no limit'

I realise we had a back up team out today, but I guess it still sort of shows what I've been saying. We have been bad pretty much every game, we create nothing against most teams, and then one of our players scores a great goal late on we win and our results look great. I genuinely think this is blinding fans to what is a pretty terrible team at the minute. People say they can see us developing and I still think we look bad every game. And again, I've always said luck will fall away and unless the performances improve the results won't be sustained.

It's like England, a few of my friends were saying England are great, look at our qualification, yet we were clearly bad, and when it came to it, when it mattered, we had the worst world cup qualification yet. I fear the same with spurs, yeah we're in the cups and close enough for top4, but unless we improve our play, we'll fall away on them all. It really worries me. I just want to watch us and really feel like we're a good team, developing a way of playing that is effective etc. I've seen us play well against QPR, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project, First half against burnley and actually against Sunderland. For me, that's it!! We've been close to awful a lot of the time.

All the many many people here who think I talk **** and think we're developing a great way of playing etc. Can you tell me how? Tell me how we STILL can't make the goalkeepers work in most games (yet Hugo is often man of the match for us); explain to me what I'm missing because I'm just seeing a really poor team, be very lucky, with a few great players helping us out far too often.

MoPo has to get us creating clearer chances...........MoPo, please, in training work something out, fcuk everything else, just concentrate on the attacking play because we are so dry going forward, dull, no inspiration

MoPo has to get us creating clearer chances...........MoPo, please, in training work something out, fcuk everything else, just concentrate on the attacking play because we are so dry going forward, dull, no inspiration

There is only so many ways you can polish a t**d....you can put a frilly bow on it....perhaps add some sequins and try telling anyone who will listen that it is fact not a tu*d

The end result is the same.....'its still a tur* some of our squad are simply not up to the job...we need rid of a few more not just Kyle Naughton.

Hopefully we can shift many on during the summer and start recruiting players who have something about them....our squad is not good enough.

Back