• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Bergvall

Guess you'd have to define what skillful means?

Gazza or hoddle for me.

Berbatov had the best first touch of any player i've ever seen.

Dombele was great at going past players. Son could produce moments of magic. Ndombelle, yeah don't want to talk about it.
I'm sure Hoddle would have been on my list had I seen him play (of course have seen highlights of him). For me when I hear skillful I think of players with skills who could beat a man - Dembele is a great shout, and sadly so actually is NDombele. Modric I'd label as more of a 'technician' than skillful although you could argue I'm doing him a disservice as he certainly beat a player on occassions. And I also accept technicians could come under 'skilful' just when I think of skillful I guess in my head it's the more flamboyant enigma types than just players with really good technique....

I'm sure Hoddle would have been on my list had I seen him play (of course have seen highlights of him). For me when I hear skillful I think of players with skills who could beat a man - Dembele is a great shout, and sadly so actually is NDombele. Modric I'd label as more of a 'technician' than skillful although you could argue I'm doing him a disservice as he certainly beat a player on occassions. And I also accept technicians could come under 'skilful' just when I think of skillful I guess in my head it's the more flamboyant enigma types than just players with really good technique....

Hoddle could beat a few men at a time. Close control, one touch passes/flicks, or just completely sending the world in the opposite direction.

A bit like le tissier. More refined.

Best player i have seen, IF he had been born anywhere but England he would have the record for international caps. imo

When italy won the world cup in 82. Their manager said if hoddle was italian he'd base his whole team around him.

He was great but a victim of time and geography. Lebouf calls him a magician (played against him when he was at monaco).

Up until the 4:00 mark it is really good team play, spinning passes into space, using 3 dimensions to bypass the oppo, really nice stuff... but from 4:00 onwards it is just a ludicrously good reel of all the best bits of football ever.
It's football for everyone, the artist, the tacticians, the entertainer, the purist, if you put some of those clips into escape to victory they would be derided as choreographed or cgi, but he did it on terrible pitches with opponents kicking lumps out of him.

It's football for everyone, the artist, the tacticians, the entertainer, the purist, if you put some of those clips into escape to victory they would be derided as choreographed or cgi, but he did it on terrible pitches with opponents kicking lumps out of him.

That is what some folks who never had the pleasure to watch him forget, most of the pitches were like mudheaps during the season and he still seem to float over the pitch and delivered what he did. As i said before he was the best i have seen in our shirt, We have been blessed over the years to have some world class players [ especially in m/f ] but he was REALLY special.

Last edited:
Back