• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lennon's back baby!

Re: Lennon's workrate

He has pace, which always helps. He's got the ability to quickly change direction, which is good for a dribbler like him. And, in the past couple of seasons, he's had to learn how to come inside as well. Occasionally, he pulls it off (see Fulham where he scored from the left wing last season) but more often than not, he doesn't. However, he's only had a season and a bit of trying to do it. Converting from an orthodox right winger to a genuine two-footed inside forward isn't easy, especially with so little real practice.

He'll get better.

when Lennon first came on the scene, I really liked him. Since then his progress has been less than would have been hoped for. I am not sure he will get any better - though I hope so. He does indeed have the tools but and this is a big but, he is now 25 has only scored 1 in 10 games as part of an attacking unit in a successful side. crucially he doesnt have that many assists either.

I am still waiting for him to fulfill his potential. I would love him to do it, but I dont have much faith that he will improve much from now onwards and his speed will only wane.

Lennon is one of those players who you quickly learn to value when he's absent.

At his best, defenders hate him running at them, imo while his effectiveness is assisted by the intelligence of his RB, for me it's more often how long since his last injury. Injuries seem to hurt his confidence badly, and it takes 7 or so games back to get to the point where he becomes fearless again.

He is also hampered by the fact that we are simply brick at having players attack the box. Lennon/Bale/BAE/even Bentley have all been criticized for poor delivery into box, it's hard to get "good" delivery when we only have one person (maybe two) in the box for every cross vs. 5 defenders.

I think if we had backup and Lennon could be rested for some of the less important cup games or just subbed occasionally, he would have less injuries and be more effective overall.

Lennon is one of those players who you quickly learn to value when he's absent.

At his best, defenders hate him running at them, imo while his effectiveness is assisted by the intelligence of his RB, for me it's more often how long since his last injury. Injuries seem to hurt his confidence badly, and it takes 7 or so games back to get to the point where he becomes fearless again.

He is also hampered by the fact that we are simply brick at having players attack the box. Lennon/Bale/BAE/even Bentley have all been criticized for poor delivery into box, it's hard to get "good" delivery when we only have one person (maybe two) in the box for every cross vs. 5 defenders.I think if we had backup and Lennon could be rested for some of the less important cup games or just subbed occasionally, he would have less injuries and be more effective overall.

Agree with this point. But also Lennon must himself get in the box when Bale delivers. Very poor at doing this imho

Why doesn't he ever go on the outside anymore? since that big injury he had a season or so ago he really hasn't looked as devastating as he did before.

Why doesn't he ever go on the outside anymore? since that big injury he had a season or so ago he really hasn't looked as devastating as he did before.

I think it is partly becase of the positon he receives the ball in. If he is tight to the line, there is not always the space outside to jink into. Defenders are also aware of his pace, and if he picks up the ball when he is static in front of a bank of four defenders, the full back just drops off denying him the space behind. He gets doubled up a lot. And there is possibly a confidence issue.

But when he has the space to run into he will still take on the defender on the outside. He did a couple of times on Saturday. I notice he is not always getting the ball he wants either. He points to the sapce in behind but often gets the ball to feet. On one occasion though, in the second half, when he was playing on the left, Benny dinked a lovely ball over the full back and Lennon got down the byline. I'm not sure Walker plays that kind of ball much.

My take on it is that he's not able to play to his strengths with the way the team plays at the moment. Lennon is an intelligent player with great movement and he's good at spotting options. However, he has to receive the pass to be able to do something. Many a time his runs are being completely overlooked with our team getting collective tunnel vision. The way I see it, he is often used as an outlet when (insert player name) has run out of options than used as the weapon he is. Quite a few of us drooled at the possibility of having two great wingers when Bale was moved forward, but it never caught on. Not because you can't play with two wingers, but because our team then and now seems utterly unable to comprehend that you can use BOTH sides. When teams started to double and triple up on Bale, we still kept bombing the ball in that direction hoping he could perform magic instead of switching sides now and then.

In my opinion, Lennon is the winger equivalent to Darren Bent, he has to get the proper service. If he does, he will deliver more often than not. When Lennon broke through, the game started revolved around serving him, as we hadn't had a player with such speed with the ball since Ginola. With numerous injuries the team gets used to play without you, and getting up to grips is not only about getting fit yourself, but having the entire team play another way since you are not replaced by a player with your own skillset. And Walker doesn't provide as well as Corluka or even Hutton did, he is quite often found ahead of Lennon leaving him with defensive duties, hence "Lennon being good at tracking back". I think Lennon's percieved decline has more to do with playing in front of Walker (and Johnson) than being found out or having gone backwards. It's about reading the game knowing when to go forward and when to hold position. Walker to me isn't quite there yet. Corluka was Lennons soulmate as such, but he had a few other weaknesses that couldn't fully compensate for that particular ability.

As whole, we are kinda undiciplined on the flanks. I think I can see some similarities the way BAE now are getting caught out more often when Bale has gotten a more free role, with the way YPL got slated when Davids, Malbranque et al decided it was more fun playing inside than keeping shape. It's not easy when you're still being expected to go forward covering an entire flank alone. This is probably easier to confirm/debunk for those of you at the stands, but it looks that way to me on TV at least.

agree with you but would like to add on that lennon himself should be responsible for the space he receives the ball in.

I would like to think that with his first touch, agility and skill he should be comfortable receiving the ball back facing goal and having the option of turning either ways at his pleasure. But he doesn't. Whatever it is - fear of being tackled, fear of losing the ball etc... a real pity he never took the trouble to look and learn while modric and vdv was around.

agree with you but would like to add on that lennon himself should be responsible for the space he receives the ball in.

I would like to think that with his first touch, agility and skill he should be comfortable receiving the ball back facing goal and having the option of turning either ways at his pleasure. But he doesn't. Whatever it is - fear of being tackled, fear of losing the ball etc... a real pity he never took the trouble to look and learn while modric and vdv was around.
Absolutely, and the fear of being tackled/injured is probably what has influenced him the most I think. I agree that adding the ability to receive the ball in any space would be a great addition, but then again as you say that's never what his game was about. His skill with ball at feet, running behind defenders and the ability to turn in a fraction of a second while at full speed is what has caught off just about any fullback in England. I'm not so sure that he can be taught at this stage, and in my opinion it's not necessary either. Bale is very good at just what you say, but he's not that good at what Lennon does. They complement each other superbly, if we only use it correctly. This is perhaps what AVB can bring to the table better than the allegedly "run around a bit and play the way you see fit".

What I'm trying to say is that maybe we should build the team around what strengths we've already got, instead of dreaming of players we cannot get/keep, who may or may not keep our game ticking, and who may or may not solve all our problems anyway.

I think you may have answered your own question there.

I think it's also coincided with the emergence of Walker. I'll admit i'm not Walkers biggest fan. I love his athleticism but I just wish we could add Corlukas through-balls to him lol... Walker offers nothing to Lennon.. I bet Lennon gets frustrated playing with him.

I think it's also coincided with the emergence of Walker. I'll admit i'm not Walkers biggest fan. I love his athleticism but I just wish we could add Corlukas through-balls to him lol... Walker offers nothing to Lennon.. I bet Lennon gets frustrated playing with him.

I think a lot of players get frustrated playing with him. Most of the time technically he is sound but to me is often the one who drops a gonad with simple passing, and sending most crosses in to nowhere but to be fair I'm pretty sure his crossing has improved although I haven't watched enough this season to make that judgement.

Walker with Corluka's passing and awareness would be superb. Hearing the commentator a while back saying we probably have the fasted right side in world football with Walker and Lennon, but an experienced defender will be able to compete if the creativity and awareness isn't there.

I think a lot of players get frustrated playing with him. Most of the time technically he is sound but to me is often the one who drops a gonad with simple passing, and sending most crosses in to nowhere but to be fair I'm pretty sure his crossing has improved although I haven't watched enough this season to make that judgement.

Walker with Corluka's passing and awareness would be superb. Hearing the commentator a while back saying we probably have the fasted right side in world football with Walker and Lennon, but an experienced defender will be able to compete if the creativity and awareness isn't there.
Hopefully this will get better with competition. Walker has the same weakness as Defoe in that at a few occations it's more about being a hero than serving the team. That again can and will often lead to questionable decision making and not always looking for the best options. I like Walker, but I'd like him to be a little less rash at times.

the next game is against Reading, and Lennon will be up against Ian Harte, probably the slowest left back in the Prem. If Lennon doesnt rip him to pieces and totally dominate him, then the time is coming for him to be dropped. Lennon is 25, plenty of Prem games under his belt, he now has to give consistent effective performances and be a main player in the team. No excuses anymore

I wonder how Lennon and Naughton would get on. Naughton isnt as explosive as Walker, but from what I have seen seems more reliable/consistent and more composed.

Apart from Lennon being dependant on service and such, I also feel he hides.

He has so much more to offer, but isnt brave enough to go for it. Plays in the shadows to much for me.

I think he could step forward, take ownership more - force things to happen - because he is certainly capable.

Lennon cant cross aka Beckham, bentley or any other midfielder. Crossing is not hard, in fact if you cant cross if you practice you will be able to cross. Lennon clearly does not practice crossing. That is why he has not progessed.

I think Lennon has an averagely good cross if he is composed, but it is extremely hard to cross well when you are running at 28mph and jinking towards the by-line at 94 degrees to play

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial

Just been told a fantastic stat; we've never lost a match when @Aaron7Lennon has scored for us. A sequence of 25 games.

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial

Just been told a fantastic stat; we've never lost a match when @Aaron7Lennon has scored for us. A sequence of 25 games.

would be nice if he scored more goals

That is an awesome stat :)

those usually his goals are the nail in the coffin. Villa, Wigan, Bolton, Liverpool in the 90th minute, Arsenal in the 90th minute. Chelsea at home though, beautiful goal!

I don't know if he's improved much since he first broke through. That first season he was awesome, just played without fear and skinned people for fun. Now his final ball is much better but he doesn't take people on much anymore. His movement and short passing have always been good. He's definitely an intelligent and responsible player. Hopefully he'll pick up confidence after that goal as I don't think he's really been blazing form-wise for a couple of years.

Back