• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

League Cup or NLD?

To me the League Cup is more important, we have a more realistic chance of winning that than the Prem. Of course if we hadn't foolishly left two HG spots unfilled, we'd have a better chance of competing in both. Not that that would have made us realistic Prem contenders, but maybe now we'd be 3rd had we bought say Welbeck and Lescott, and at least still in contention for the fabled fourth place, which I'm now convinced is beyond us once again.

To lose to Forest would be even more shameful and embarrassing than the WBA fiasco. The manager and players just have to get this one right, or we'll be continuing on our path to joining West Ham as one of London's top comedy clubs.

I don't get this at all.

We only named 6 HG players because Davies, Dier, Bentaleb and Kane - all very much first team players - happen to count as U21s instead.

Even excluding Mason and Veljkovic, we've got a first team squad of 26, which is why we can easily make 10 changes (11 if we used Vorm) for UEFA.

I'll take each game as it comes, Brian.

Hopefully we'll win the League Cup as it isn't many matches against a lot of second string sides.

Second string 11 tonight, but pile the bench with quality. I don't expect Forrest to field a strong side, so shouldn't be too big a challenge. Just need to get through to next round.

I hope Poch has defensive plan in mind for Saturday, as long as we nullify their pace in attack, we can exploit their dodgy defence. If we leave space in behind us Arsenal will pick us off at will.

I don't get this at all.

We only named 6 HG players because Davies, Dier, Bentaleb and Kane - all very much first team players - happen to count as U21s instead.

Even excluding Mason and Veljkovic, we've got a first team squad of 26, which is why we can easily make 10 changes (11 if we used Vorm) for UEFA.
Plus the manager made it quite clear in the summer that he wanted a smaller squad.

I don't get this at all.

Well, had we bought Welbeck and Lescott say, we'd probably been able to field stronger teams against WBA and maybe Sunderland, and maybe we'd have gained more points. There are no guarantees, but I think it was a major mistake to leave two HG spots unfilled, when there were good quality English players available to buy. It would be nice to have Welbeck and Lescott for example rested to face Arsenal, but without having to field a 'weakish' team v Forest.

Re Milo's point about Poch not wanting a bigger squad, that's true. I think he made a major mistake there, and his record so far with us doesn't inspire me with confidence. Early days to judge him yet of course, but if we go out v Forest then I suspect the judging will start and it's likely to be unfavourable.

Last edited:
I think winning a trophy should always be a priority for us. The feeling of being called champions is something special.

Well, had we bought Welbeck and Lescott say, we'd probably been able to field stronger teams against WBA and maybe Sunderland, and maybe we'd have gained more points. There are no guarantees, but I think it was a major mistake to leave two HG spots unfilled, when there were good quality English players available to buy. It would be nice to have Welbeck and Lescott for example rested to face Arsenal, but without having to field a 'weakish' team v Forest.

Re Milo's point about Poch not wanting a bigger squad, that's true. I think he made a major mistake there, and his record so far with us doesn't inspire me with confidence. Early days to judge him yet of course, but if we go out v Forest then I suspect the judging will start and it's likely to be unfavourable.
Please can we keep this thread on topic. This thread is just asking:

"What should we prioritise over the next few days?"

There are plenty of other threads where we can discuss our summer's business and the strengths and weaknesses of the squad.

Sorry, but Welbeck and Lescott are poor players. Shiny new names, but no improvement on what we have.

Welbeck is on a similar level to Kane, but Kane has the intelligence to push on to a higher level. And Lescott would bring nothing that Kaboul and Dawson already provided - an experienced 4th or 5th choice.

We do still have a big squad. We have 26 senior players. Last season Liverpool had about 18.

Sorry, but Welbeck and Lescott are poor players. Shiny new names, but no improvement on what we have.

Welbeck is on a similar level to Kane, but Kane has the intelligence to push on to a higher level. And Lescott would bring nothing that Kaboul and Dawson already provided - an experienced 4th or 5th choice.

We do still have a big squad. We have 26 senior players. Last season Liverpool had about 18.
Please can you help keep this thread on topic GB.

I agree with people saying we should play our strongest side in both games, it's time for the players to step up to the mark and show some fight and pride.

Yep. Full strength for both. It's still early in the season and both matches are important - one is for a trophy we DO have a realistic chance of being very competitive in terms of winning, and the other is the NLD... which speaks for itself.

COYS

For us playing tonight and then Saturday , is like playing Thursday and then on Sunday? Gooners get an extra days rest and even rested their best players yesterday for an all premeirship cup game. I'd have thought, the extra day is an advantage that has to be taken into consideration.

For us playing tonight and then Saturday , is like playing Thursday and then on Sunday? Gooners get an extra days rest and even rested their best players yesterday for an all premeirship cup game. I'd have thought, the extra day is an advantage that has to be taken into consideration.

rest is overrated.....look at our side that played so woefully on sunday, hardly any of them played against Partizan on the previous Thurs and quite a few didnt even travel out there!!! so what was there excuse for their pitiful showing. I say the more our best team plays together the better they will understand each other on the pitch

rest is overrated.....look at our side that played so woefully on sunday, hardly any of them played against Partizan on the previous Thurs and quite a few didnt even travel out there!!! so what was there excuse for their pitiful showing. I say the more our best team plays together the better they will understand each other on the pitch

Yeah , I hear you regarding Sunday's poor performance, but I were responding to the above posts calling for the same team tonight and for the NLD on Saturday. Generally speaking , we've not responded to well after only a couple of days rest.

Back