• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

Imagine still going in to bat for Mourinho ffs

Fwiw i don't hate him @Gazza i actually quite like him as a character in the game and respect his achievements when he was at Porto/Chelsea mkI & Inter - however i do hate the fact that we appointed him when he was obviously the wrong man for the job and that we ultimately wasted 2 years on Levys man crush.

So ultimately the blame, since that it seems like we are fishing for lies with Levy? A) for getting the wrong man and B) not backing him with the calibre of player Mourinho is used to working with.

None I mean none of the signings made during his term had a hint of the calibre of player that was required. I would find it incredible to believe any of the players brought in were on Mourinhos mind when he signed up. I think he took a softer approach in demonising clubs after his massive backfire at the way he handled his term at United.

So ultimately the blame, since that it seems like we are fishing for lies with Levy? A) for getting the wrong man and B) not backing him with the calibre of player Mourinho is used to working with.

None I mean none of the signings made during his term had a hint of the calibre of player that was required. I would find it incredible to believe any of the players brought in were on Mourinhos mind when he signed up. I think he took a softer approach in demonising clubs after his massive backfire at the way he handled his term at United.

Lets not forget jose got the job by saying that we had a good squad that was under performing.
Now, for me that was a big red flag. That squad had peaked, mentally at least. It was obvious some did not have the heart, balls or whatever else you want to call it to get over the line. If jose couldn't see that then he wasn't the manager he used to be.
I do agree with you that jose obviously did not have control of the transfers.

The point is the claim was Mourinho had complete control of our transfer when clearly he didn't. He wanted a striker the first January and he got a winger. He wanted a top class CB and he got Rodon. That's not control. [emoji1787]

That's not directed at you btw, but it is what it is.

When was the claim "complete control"? From who exactly? Someone on here, a Spurs fan who knows about Levy and Spurs claimed that Mourinho had complete control over transfers?

Or is this just a straw man?

Mourinho naturally wanted a lot of things because our squad had gaping holes in it and he's Mourinho. To pretend like he didn't want a left back, right back, central midfielder etc is just baffling. Of course he did.

And of course Jose Mourinho had some control over our transfers. To what extent can be discussed.

Hence why I asked who you wouldn’t sign… but not added then now bit

every player we have signed apart form Clarke was a right profile player IMO
Most have been young
Most have been the stand out in their league and in theory reach to step up

Right profile, sure. Good for for our system at the time? Not so sure. Good for our immediate needs for the squad at the time? Meh.

The squad became a bit of a mess because of that. No balance, not suited to any style of play really.

Just in case anyone forgot how he felt about the squad he inherited…contrast that with Conte’s honesty from the first minute he arrived….

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...habitat-premier-league?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Steff no one is denying Mourinho said he was happy with the squad - the point was that didn’t mean he was actually happy with the squad, just what was being said to the media. It is almost unprecedented that a new manager comes to a club and says the players he has inherited arent good enough, they almost always say they are happy with the squad and can’t wait to work with them - yet funnily enough are making new signings the minute they can. I can only imagine the reaction Jose would have got, so many already frothing with anger at his appointment had he come in and said these players just aren’t up to it.

Even Conte waited a good couple of months before coming out with this stuff, and he is in the privileged position of knowing Levy is very much in last chance saloon and is desperate, having already rejected the job once this was very much an SOS call that Conte has taken and knows Levy will have to bend over to do what he wants…..

Steff no one is denying Mourinho said he was happy with the squad - the point was that didn’t mean he was actually happy with the squad, just what was being said to the media. It is almost unprecedented that a new manager comes to a club and says the players he has inherited arent good enough, they almost always say they are happy with the squad and can’t wait to work with them - yet funnily enough are making new signings the minute they can. I can only imagine the reaction Jose would have got, so many already frothing with anger at his appointment had he come in and said these players just aren’t up to it.

For me, there are two possibilities.

The first as you've described here and in particular the last bolded part, which is bang on.

The second is that after watching on from afar maybe Mourinho did actually believe we had a good squad that was under performing. After all I'm sure that's what Levy thought (or at least hoped). Lots of our own fans also held this belief as evidenced my the many "we've a good squad but a crap manager" type comments made on here during Mourinhos tenure and then repeated under Nuno's brief reign too. It seems to have taken Conte's comments for everyone to come around to the fact that the squad needs serious surgery.

So whichever scenario applies to Mourinho's "I'm happy with the squad" comment, whether it was a lie or that he genuinely was I just don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a fairly standard thing said by a new manager and whilst I'd agree with most that Jose is an odious narcissistic a-hole I don't see why this particular comment is used as a stick to beat him with.

Right profile, sure. Good for for our system at the time? Not so sure. Good for our immediate needs for the squad at the time? Meh.

The squad became a bit of a mess because of that. No balance, not suited to any style of play really.
Under Poch we needed a new left back to replace rose, a CM to replace Dembele and a player to replace Eriksen. We made those signings and all 3 we’re imo the right fits to the eye (not knowing them personally or professionally of course)
Clarke was odd but one for the future I guess … still odd though
We signed Reggie the next season as we had lost rose and sessegnon was a player we wasn’t sure about… Reggie has imo been a success.
Doherty was brought in as we needed another right back but he was of course a wing back. It was the start of buying players who play one way and asking them to play another
Hojbjerg came in to add the defence layer in midfield people said we were lacking and we as fans thought we had the holy trinity then of Hojdjberg, Tanguy and Lo Celso… that should be a quality midfield…. It isn’t of course
Rodon was the last £££ signing that window. I just don’t get what we’re doing with him as personally when I’ve seen him he has performed….
We also got in bale and Vinny…. One who couldn’t perform away (and was still injured a lot) and the other who was a body but actually not worth a crazy fee we had agreed
This summer we brought in a top centre back in Romero. The guy was a rolls-Royce in Italy
I’d never seen royal play so didn’t know what to expect but he is an very good RB… rwb may take him more time
Gil and Sarr are for the future though

what’s clear though is when you look at what is arguably our best 11 it’s still mainly Poch era players…

Hugo

romero (new)Dier Davies

royal (new) skipp winks (imo) Reggie (new

Moura Kane son

3 new signings and 2 of them are from this season. That’s scary when you look at who and what we have brought. But as I say, I get why we brought every player ish

Manchester United are chasing the signature of Lazio and Serbia midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, 26. (Calciomercato - in Italian)

United have offered France midfielder Paul Pogba, 28, a deal worth £500,000 a week to remain at the club. (Sun)

Pogba, though, has denied being offered a new deal. (Mail)

The Red Devils have ended their interest in signing Borussia Dortmund and Norway striker Erling Haaland. (Mirror)

Liverpool are prepared to offer Barcelona and Spain midfielder Gavi, 17, around £80,000 a week to land his signature. (El Nacional - via Mail)

But Emirates Marketing Project are also interested in signing Gavi, who has a £42m release cause in his contract. (El Nacional, via Mail)

Everton have been offered Inter Milan's former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Alexis Sanchez, 33, on a free transfer. (Sun)

Aston Villa are interested in Brighton's 25-year-old Mali international midfielder Yves Bissouma. (Sky Sports)

West Ham will reject any offer Saudi Sportswashing Machine make for French defender Issa Diop, 24. (Football London)

Saudi Sportswashing Machine have increased their bid for Lille defender Sven Botman, 21. (Saudi Sportswashing Machine Chronicle)

Manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed he is eager to sign a central defender on loan at Leicester. (Leicester Mercury)

Liverpool have turned down a £7m bid from Watford for English defender Nathaniel Phillips, 24. (Football Insider)

The Reds are also not prepared to let Belgian striker Divock Origi, 26, leave in a cut-price deal in January. (Liverpool Echo)

Sevilla are not prepared to let Brazilian defender Diego Carlos, 28, join Saudi Sportswashing Machine for anything other than a substantial fee. (Daily Star)

AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie is in talks over a move to Real Madrid despite Liverpool and Tottenham showing interest in the 25-year-old Ivory Coast international. (El Nacional - in Italian)

Arsenal and England midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles, 24, has arrived in Italy before a loan move to Serie A side AS Roma. (football.london)

Gunners manager Mikel Arteta has ruled out re-signing 30-year-old midfielder Jack Wheelchair, who is currently training at the club and doing his coaching badges, to replace Maitland-Niles. (London Evening Standard)v

Chelsea are exploring options to cover the left side of defence in Ben Chilwell's absence, as well as talking to Lyon over a return for 27-year-old Italy left-back Emerson Palmieri, who is on loan at the French club. (Evening Standard)

Former Saudi Sportswashing Machine owner Mike Ashley is considering a takeover bid for Championship club Derby County. (Telegraph)

Barcelona are the latest club to monitor Antonio Rudiger's situation at Chelsea with the 28-year-old Germany international defender out of contract at the end of the season. (Sky Sports)

Argentina forward Lionel Messi, 34, could force his Paris St-Germain exit after just one season if the club fails to win the Champions League, according to former Barcelona midfielder and Spain international Lobo Carrasco. (El Chiringuito TV, via Mirror)

Manager Mikel Arteta has urged his Arsenal bosses to get spending in January as the Gunners chase Fiorentina and Serbia striker Dusan Vlahovic, 21. (Mirror)

Under Poch we needed a new left back to replace rose, a CM to replace Dembele and a player to replace Eriksen. We made those signings and all 3 we’re imo the right fits to the eye (not knowing them personally or professionally of course)
Clarke was odd but one for the future I guess … still odd though
We signed Reggie the next season as we had lost rose and sessegnon was a player we wasn’t sure about… Reggie has imo been a success.
Doherty was brought in as we needed another right back but he was of course a wing back. It was the start of buying players who play one way and asking them to play another
Hojbjerg came in to add the defence layer in midfield people said we were lacking and we as fans thought we had the holy trinity then of Hojdjberg, Tanguy and Lo Celso… that should be a quality midfield…. It isn’t of course
Rodon was the last £££ signing that window. I just don’t get what we’re doing with him as personally when I’ve seen him he has performed….
We also got in bale and Vinny…. One who couldn’t perform away (and was still injured a lot) and the other who was a body but actually not worth a crazy fee we had agreed
This summer we brought in a top centre back in Romero. The guy was a rolls-Royce in Italy
I’d never seen royal play so didn’t know what to expect but he is an very good RB… rwb may take him more time
Gil and Sarr are for the future though

what’s clear though is when you look at what is arguably our best 11 it’s still mainly Poch era players…

Hugo

romero (new)Dier Davies

royal (new) skipp winks (imo) Reggie (new

Moura Kane son

3 new signings and 2 of them are from this season. That’s scary when you look at who and what we have brought. But as I say, I get why we brought every player ish

A big problem was that Dembele and eriksen were quite unique players and not easy to replace.
It was always going to be difficult to transition away from them.

There's a real lack of concrete links and we're over a week into the window, seems a bit odd to me.

Depends what you are expecting. 2 years ago no one had even heard of Bergwijn and Gedson at this point in the window. So this year's equivalents will be out there plodding around somewhere.

Back