• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

He wanted a top class CB alongside several other positions. Can't always hit them all and the man himself said at the time he was more than happy with the backing he had, of course as usual when results suffer he looks for excuses
I'm no Mourninho defender, but it was in reply to the aim he had control of transfers when clearly he didn't when his main 2 requests were not fulfilled. I don't even remember him pointing out he didn't get what he asked for when results went pear shaped tbh. And of course he's gonna say he's happy, other than Conte no manager ever says the opposite. But read between the lines.

Mourinho was quite clear we needed another top striker in his first window. Son and then Kane were missing for significant periods and that is still a risk we run now. No cover for either. Son is apparently now out until the end of January. We need to sign a top striker within the next week. No frigging about . Hichen needs to be kept well out of it and let Pat do the business.

I'm no Mourninho defender, but it was in reply to the aim he had control of transfers when clearly he didn't when his main 2 requests were not fulfilled. I don't even remember him pointing out he didn't get what he asked for when results went pear shaped tbh. And of course he's gonna say he's happy, other than Conte no manager ever says the opposite. But read between the lines.

I think he had more control than any other new manager here, i think we can attribute Hart, Doherty, Vinicius, Hojbjerg & possibly Regulion directly to his influence, of course that doesn't mean he got every single player in that he would have liked but then does any manager? Of course we lament the one we missed out on when it ends in failure but we'd have done the same whether we'd have sogned Skriniar or not, only the focus would have been on a different player/position we didn't strengthen

I think he had more control than any other new manager here, i think we can attribute Hart, Doherty, Vinicius, Hojbjerg & possibly Regulion directly to his influence, of course that doesn't mean he got every single player in that he would have liked but then does any manager? Of course we lament the one we missed out on when it ends in failure but we'd have done the same whether we'd have sogned Skriniar or not, only the focus would have been on a different player/position we didn't strengthen

He identified our need for a top striker in his first window. The club failed to deliver one. They still haven't despite it being out top priority.

"I think" ... fair enough, says it all. But perhaps some perspective with the way spurs have operated before, during and after mourinho would suggest that the manager usually gets told his options. If you honestly believe or even think Joe Rodon was known to Mourinho, or even the players signed were of Mourinho quality from previous clubs, for a start then let's just shake hands and smile.

The irony though is that the difference in the Skriniar and Rodon fees would probably have been made up by finishing in a Europa place instead of a Conference place…. With an actual decent defender playing in Jose’s horrible, ultra defensive, low block we might even have scraped 4th place.

I think that’s a bit of a reach - with Mourinhos track record none of Hart, Doherty, Vinicius or Hojberg are going to be his primary targets had he the choice of who he wanted. Yes he would have had to compromise due to us having less to spend, in the same way Poch did - yet we all constantly see the excuses on here that Poch didn’t get his primary targets. Of course you won’t give Jose that same excuse, because he would have come to Spurs and said ‘Get me Joe Hart, Doherty and Hojberg - these are the players I really want’ :D…..

The irony though is that the difference in the Skriniar and Rodon fees would probably have been made up by finishing in a Europa place instead of a Conference place…. With an actual decent defender playing in Jose’s horrible, ultra defensive, low block we might even have scraped 4th place.

Ha, i think that the performances of our much maligned defenders since a competent manager has been in charge show where our problems were that season

Ha, i think that the performances of our much maligned defenders since a competent manager has been in charge show where our problems were that season

Yawn ... even in pochettinos last 15 months he couldn't get a tune out of these players. Admittedly something has finally changed under conte, but perhaps it's not so black and white as you would like to make it out. Its obvious you absolutely hate mourinho but how about some reasonable middle ground?

Many of these players probably know that they are going to get pushed out if they can't perform. There was also a champions league final hangover ... it happens.

Mourinho right manager, wrong time.

Yawn ... even in pochettinos last 15 months he couldn't get a tune out of these players. Admittedly something has finally changed under conte, but perhaps it's not so black and white as you would like to make it out. Its obvious you absolutely hate mourinho but how about some reasonable middle ground?

Many of these players probably know that they are going to get pushed out if they can't perform. There was also a champions league final hangover ... it happens.

Mourinho right manager, wrong time.
if only it was the year 2000 again we’d have been on to a winner!

The point is the claim was Mourinho had complete control of our transfer when clearly he didn't. He wanted a striker the first January and he got a winger. He wanted a top class CB and he got Rodon. That's not control. [emoji1787]

That's not directed at you btw, but it is what it is.

Imagine still going in to bat for Mourinho ffs

Fwiw i don't hate him @Gazza i actually quite like him as a character in the game and respect his achievements when he was at Porto/Chelsea mkI & Inter - however i do hate the fact that we appointed him when he was obviously the wrong man for the job and that we ultimately wasted 2 years on Levys man crush.

Last edited:
Imagine still going in to bat for Mourinho ffs

Fwiw i don't hate him @Gazza i actually quite like him as a character in the game and respect his achievements when he was at Porto/Chelsea mkI & Inter - however i do hate the fact that we appointed him when he was obviously the wrong man for the job and ultimately wasted 2 years on Levys man crush.
Bro you may not remember usernames but I was as anti Mourinho as anymore from Dec 2020. I also never thought he was a good fit for us due to his playstyle and player recruitment demands, but just because I didn't like him as our coach doesn't mean I'm going distort reality to suit. I'm not going to bat for him, I'm just speaking the truth of situation as per the I formation Mourinho himself gave in those windows.

Bro you may not remember usernames but I was as anti Mourinho as anymore from Dec 2020. I also never thought he was a good fit for us due to his playstyle and player recruitment demands, but just because I didn't like him as our coach doesn't mean I'm going distort reality to suit. I'm not going to bat for him, I'm just speaking the truth of situation as per the I formation Mourinho himself gave in those windows.

You posted just as i was typing my response to gazza, it was not directed at you.

Regarding the transfers - he came in mid season and got a backup striker the following summer - he wanted Skriniar, but also wanted strengthening in several other positions. I don't actually recall the links to him surfacing until late in the window- so was this guy a priority ahead of business we done earlier? How do we know that or is it judt because ut fits the narrative? Had we signed him at the expense of a LB and DM (for example) then we'd likely be having the same argument about those players/positions anyway let's be honest

Mourinho was quite clear we needed another top striker in his first window. Son and then Kane were missing for significant periods and that is still a risk we run now. No cover for either. Son is apparently now out until the end of January. We need to sign a top striker within the next week. No frigging about . Hichen needs to be kept well out of it and let Pat do the business.

Good luck with that, we will end up with some unknown prick like willian jose or troy deeney on loan.

Mark my words Conte will not be our manager going into next season.

Back