• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James McCarthy

he is raved about by very few. Most see him as someone who has done well but can also be replaced by someone better. Point is, McCarthy is no better, in fact he is inferior so why waste 20 mill replacing Mason

That is your opinion mine is the opposite, and bringing stats into it does not make your opinion right.

That is your opinion mine is the opposite, and bringing stats into it does not make your opinion right.

well i dont need the stats. Like you i can tell by just watching too. Yes i agree Mason can be upgraded, but imo McCarthy is not an upgrade. I guess we have to agree to disagree

well i dont need the stats. Like you i can tell by just watching too. Yes i agree Mason can be upgraded, but imo McCarthy is not an upgrade. I guess we have to agree to disagree

You brought stats into the conversation in the first place, but as you say we will agree to disagree.

What can anyone tell me that McCarthy can do better than Bentelab or Mason?

I ask again because both their two were in their first sea isn't and were better than him stats wise and results wise???

If some can tell me the id happily listen. I've seen him play enough to realise he would be step backwards unless he comes in very cheap as squad player

Mason could be upgraded upon as Holding midfielder and so could Bentelab but they could also both push on massively after their ONE season in the league. Dont forget these two played that position against arsenal and tore them a new one so the ability is there but I'd argue clearly the experience isn't. I'd also say that Mason has come for a more attacking role and that coudo be where he ends up.

How is McCarthy an upgrade?

Can someone please tell me as statistically he isn't and head to head he wasn't!!! And he had experience on his side

This may be hard to imagine, but stats aren't everything! What a frightening world we're in when people on,h judge s player on stats rather than, you know, watching them....

Our better players working hard to make the most of masons misplaced passes probably helps that stat out. Masons headless chicken strips ute probably gives him some good distance and challenges stats.... It's ridicu,out to judge players in stats alone.

I really don't rate McCarthy at all, it would be a depressing signing. But not as depressing as mason playing as many games as he did last season.

I really don't rate McCarthy at all, it would be a depressing signing. But not as depressing as mason playing as many games as he did last season.

Really? if we paid anything significant for McCarthy and he played half the number of games as Mason, that would be fudging depressing ....

At least fudging Mason is one of our own ...

This may be hard to imagine, but stats aren't everything! What a frightening world we're in when people on,h judge s player on stats rather than, you know, watching them....

Our better players working hard to make the most of masons misplaced passes probably helps that stat out. Masons headless chicken strips ute probably gives him some good distance and challenges stats.... It's ridicu,out to judge players in stats alone.

I agree 100% that's stats aren't the answer but no one has come up with anything constructive to say why McCarthy is better???

Masons passing that you always critique also includes passes of a difficult nature that carry an element of risk

His runs also are invariably him supporting attacking play which can leave him out of position granted

Last edited:
I agree 100% that's stats aren't the answer but no one has come up with anything constructive to say why McCarthy is better???

Masons passing that you always critique also includes passes of a difficult nature that carry an element of risk

His runs also are invariably him supporting attacking play which can leave him out of position granted

And he very rarely actually supports attacking play to any effect :) But it isn't about mason. And yeah, I'm not a McCarthy fan and it is worrying that people are struggling to say anything nice....

I asked my Everton mate, who was very positive, he said he uses the ball really well, covers a lot of ground, good shield, it offers little in attack. Not the most detailed of reports but positive... I'd still be gutted but just have to trust the decision!

And he very rarely actually supports attacking play to any effect :) But it isn't about mason. And yeah, I'm not a McCarthy fan and it is worrying that people are struggling to say anything nice....

I asked my Everton mate, who was very positive, he said he uses the ball really well, covers a lot of ground, good shield, it offers little in attack. Not the most detailed of reports but positive... I'd still be gutted but just have to trust the decision!

My mates really are very non plussed by Him

I'm all for upgrading the team but he wouldn't be an upgrade

For the money they would want we could buy a world class player (don't know who) or for a faction of it an unknown and I'd take that.

McCarthy feels like a safe option from the press knowing that he wants an improved contract and that we are after upgrades in centre mid

Really? if we paid anything significant for McCarthy and he played half the number of games as Mason, that would be fudgeing depressing ....

At least fudgeing Mason is one of our own ...

And that is the problem ( imo), because he is " one of our own" there is a tendency ( by some) to overate those players, I have seen in happen to Livermore, Caulker and many other over the years.

I can't think of any young Spurs player that has improved after their first season in the team, so we should definitely get rid of Mason -- especially when we have such a good record of buying top class centre midfielders. Apart from the failure of Modric, all of the other centre midfielders that we have signed in the past few years have been amazing and definitely much better than the likes of Mason and Bentaleb.

Mason is so underappreciated. His introduction to the team brought us much needed fight as well as fluidity in moving the ball forward. It was his first season playing this amount of games and against this level of opposition, he ran out of gas towards the end of the season but came back strong in the final couple of games, one of which he thoroughly outplayed McCarthy. Mason was a big part of a team which finished 5th, some of you are selling him way too short just because you see him every week and see his flaws whilst overrating what you don't see on such a regular basis.

I can remember loads of young " one of our own" players coming into the side and getting fans nickers in a twist about how we have got "a winner". But most of them get moved on and turn out to be not as good as some thought, the list goes on and on.

We overate so many of our young players from the off and many fail to live up to the hype, as I have said Livermore, Caulker ( two relegations) O' Hara etc etc. Now I am not saying Mason will be in the lower Lgs in a couple of years but the hype he has received ( by some) is well over the top (imo).

I can remember loads of young " one of our own" players coming into the side and getting fans nickers in a twist about how we have got "a winner". But most of them get moved on and turn out to be not as good as some thought, the list goes on and on.

We overate so many of our young players from the off and many fail to live up to the hype, as I have said Livermore, Caulker ( two relegations) O' Hara etc etc. Now I am not saying Mason will be in the lower Lgs in a couple of years but the hype he has received ( by some) is well over the top (imo).

On the flip side, you have plenty of fans who underrate our homegrown players because they don't play like Messi or Maldini every game when they first break into the team. Loads of Spurs fans wrote off or slagged off Kane and Bentaleb a season or so back. Rose too (me included).

So last season should be a lesson to us all. Homegrown players are worth a little perseverance.

On the flip side, you have plenty of fans who underrate our homegrown players because they don't play like Messi or Maldini every game when they first break into the team. Loads of Spurs fans wrote off or slagged off Kane and Bentaleb a season or so back. Rose too (me included).

So last season should be a lesson to us all. Homegrown players are worth a little perseverance.

That is true as well, what we need to do ( imo) is to let home grown players grow into the team instead they are those who either think they are going to be the best thing since sliced bread, or not worth bothering with ( but to be honest I have never met many who do that in my experience).

The problem with our CM at this time is that neither Bentaleb or Mason are able to do the defensive part of the game and that is our biggest problem, now Bentaleb offers a little more in that respect but its not in Masons game. I have no idea if Mason will become a top player or just another of our youngsters who get built up ( by some of our fans) only to be playing for a lesser team in the future.

What I do know at this present time is that our CM needs to be strengthened otherwise we will be having the same problems next season.

That is true as well, what we need to do ( imo) is to let home grown players grow into the team instead they are those who either think they are going to be the best thing since sliced bread, or not worth bothering with ( but to be honest I have never met many who do that in my experience).

The problem with our CM at this time is that neither Bentaleb or Mason are able to do the defensive part of the game and that is our biggest problem, now Bentaleb offers a little more in that respect but its not in Masons game. I have no idea if Mason will become a top player or just another of our youngsters who get built up ( by some of our fans) only to be playing for a lesser team in the future.

What I do know at this present time is that our CM needs to be strengthened otherwise we will be having the same problems next season.

just out of interest who would you like to see us sign to make our midfield more solid?(apologies if you have mentioned this before) and who would you play them alongside Bentaleb or Mason?

assuming you want MS and he is out of reach who would you like us to go for thats gettable?

just out of interest who would you like to see us sign to make our midfield more solid?(apologies if you have mentioned this before) and who would you play them alongside Bentaleb or Mason?

assuming you want MS and he is out of reach who would you like us to go for thats gettable?

That is the million dollar question, our problem is the two in CM not being that different, I would have liked to have seen Stambouli given more chances ( but that is no longer a option) so if we do not get MS then scouts have their work cut out.

I do not have any particular favourite to fit in instead of Mason but one who can read the defensive side of the game is a must, that may seem that I am passing the buck but they are players who are able to do that part of the game. Needless to say the chances that whoever I say will be slagged off by some ( McCarthy is the proof of that), but he will be able to do a better job of tracking runners then Mason does so ( imo) he will be a better option.

I have no idea if Mason will become a top player or just another of our youngsters who get built up ( by some of our fans) only to be playing for a lesser team in the future.

The same can be said for the countless hyped signings we've made who have gone the same way so I don't see the need to only level that claim at Spurs trained youngsters.

Back