• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jake Livermore

The main problem is playing alongside the same type of player. Every football fan will tell you that technically Parker and Jake are not the best footballers. And in a Spurs side, a club with traditions in great attacking football, that will always be scrutinised. Particularly when the memories of Modric are so fresh.

The partnership of Mousa and Sandro had a different powerful dynamic, but both decent technical footballers, and both levels higher than Scotty and Jake. Pairing Jake with a technically superior player works. He's not a bad player by any stretch but alongside Parker it is horrible to watch[/I]

And not very successful. But we are still in the EL and 3rd. Maybe there is a bit of method in the madness. Jake has been given his "minutes" without the pressure of being the main man.

Last edited:
Livermore is getting the blame for AVB playing two players who are very limited creatively in the centre.
We'd be just as bad with Sandro and Parker, as Livermore and Parker or for that matter Livermore and Sandro.

Not sure what AVB sees in Livermore. But he has looked shyte everytime he has started for us. But he has done fairly well when coming on as a 10-20 mins sub. I think he is only good to play a sub role now. Hope AVB doesn't take unnecessary risk with Livermore.

The main problem is playing alongside the same type of player. Every football fan will tell you that technically Parker and Jake are not the best footballers. And in a Spurs side, a club with traditions in great attacking football, that will always be scrutinised. Particularly when the memories of Modric are so fresh.

The partnership of Mousa and Sandro had a different powerful dynamic, but both decent technical footballers, and both levels higher than Scotty and Jake. Pairing Jake with a technically superior player works. He's not a bad player by any stretch but alongside Parker it is horrible to watch

Agreed. Jake is a hard working player who has looked okay in cup games against lower quality opposition or as a foil for a gifted passer like Modric but starting him alongside Parker just doesn't work as they are too similar leaving our midfield bereft of any creativity or goal threat. Even starting Livermore alongside Sandro didn't really work at the start of this season but perhaps a partnership with Dembele might as they are sufficiently different in style.

I'd like to see Livermore go out on loan to another Premier League so that he can get a run of games, as he's 23 years old now but has started just 11 Premier League games with 24 substitute appearances for a grand total of 1275 minutes of league experience.

he's a kid, I'm not writing him off yet, he must have something about him as he's obviously ahead of Carroll in the pecking order as far as AVB is concerned

he's had a few bad games but which spurs players haven't

If Parker could make a successful career from a limited skill set then as long as Jake is disciplined which he is, he certainly can too. He had a great game v Everton last season I think it was

If Parker could make a successful career from a limited skill set then as long as Jake is disciplined which he is, he certainly can too. He had a great game v Everton last season I think it was

We had the creative talents of Modric and VdV alongside Livermore in that team to pull the strings so Jake could stick to what he does best which is shielding the defence then laying the ball off to one of his more talented teammates. Unfortunately our current team lacks outstanding passers which might explain why he hasn't thrived quite so much this season.

I don't think he would get regular games for any prem side, loan him to a championship side to give him games and a chance for him to prove what he is capable of.

I don't think he would get regular games for any prem side, loan him to a championship side to give him games and a chance for him to prove what he is capable of.

I think you overestimate the quality of lower half (and mid table) PL teams.

I think he quite easily would get games at several teams, I wouldn't be surprised if we had gotten and turned down serious loan offers for him both in the summer and January windows.

For me the problem with Livermore is that I don't quite see him being excellent at anything, he is a fairly well rounded player. He runs a lot and works hard, he can pass the ball, he can tackle, he can even run with the ball reasonably well. He doesn't score a lot, but from his position that's hardly surprising. But he's not great at anything and to be a starter for a top side you pretty much have to be excellent at something. You can be a regular starter for a side lower down the table though.

I think he quite easily would get games at several teams, I wouldn't be surprised if we had gotten and turned down serious loan offers for him both in the summer and January windows.

For me the problem with Livermore is that I don't quite see him being excellent at anything, he is a fairly well rounded player. He runs a lot and works hard, he can pass the ball, he can tackle, he can even run with the ball reasonably well. He doesn't score a lot, but from his position that's hardly surprising. But he's not great at anything and to be a starter for a top side you pretty much have to be excellent at something. You can be a regular starter for a side lower down the table though.

Pretty much my thoughts which is why I described him as being like O'Hara. He's ok at everything but that's not enough for us.

Perhaps but when I watch the lower teams they have capable players in CM, for instance would he get into the team at WHU,Wigan or QPR I dont think so, when I first saw Livermore I thought he was a box to box player with a good engine that could score goals ( I remember a brilliant run and header in the peace cup) but over the last couple of years they have changed his game and now he sits deep, come to think of it all our cm's sit deep because of the way we want to play, has he the ability to play in a three man midfield I don't think so.

Pretty much my thoughts which is why I described him as being like O'Hara. He's ok at everything but that's not enough for us.

Depends what kind of job we want him to do. Not good enough to be a first choice player, I would agree. But not even good enough to be a squad players for a few years? Not so sure about that one...

He's not the youngest at 23, but he's not the finished article either. I'm not expecting him to develop into a first choice player for us, but it's not out of the question for him to improve enough to be a contender at least.

Perhaps but when I watch the lower teams they have capable players in CM, for instance would he get into the team at WHU,Wigan or QPR I dont think so, when I first saw Livermore I thought he was a box to box player with a good engine that could score goals ( I remember a brilliant run and header in the peace cup) but over the last couple of years they have changed his game and now he sits deep, come to think of it all our cm's sit deep because of the way we want to play, has he the ability to play in a three man midfield I don't think so.

I think he is a capable player. There are some stand out players in the teams you mention, but also a lot of very average players getting loads of game time for them from what I've seen.

He has the capability to do a lot of everything, I think box to box is a decent description with his stamina being as it is. I think he's operating in deeper positions partly because that's what being asked of him and partly because at a PL level he doesn't quite have the skills on the ball to really influence the game in tighter areas. If he is to develop into a player that can get regular games at a top side I think the best bet is in one of those deeper roles.

Like many on here I think a loan could do him a lot of good, but I think most likely he will end up like quite a few manu squad players have done. A couple of years as a squad player for us and then a move to another PL side.

I think he could actually be very successful if above all else he keeps his discipline in terms of positioning and keeping it simple. For me it's of the galacticos thinking (don't laugh), where specific players perform a specific duty in the side... Ie Makalele will be the water carrier. This rather than the team as one collective and the sum of its parts performing defensive and attacking duties together. Saachi's thinking.

I still think there is very much a place for Livermore and his ilk in the modern game but the team must be structured for him to be his part in the jigsaw so he can perform his specific duty. He will only become very good at what he does with games ultimately.

Back