• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He was fairly good yesterday I thought. Lucky not to be sent off, although I don't think the second challenge deserved a yellow, but could have been given by the ref.
He does bring great energy to the team which is important to our pressing game. Probably would have dragged him off at half time in place of Jansen for his own protection though.

Erik Lamela scape goated for Tottenham shortcomings at Bournemouth, but player ratings make him 3rd best performer
Posted by Robert Summerscales October 22, 2016

Erik Lamela bore the brunt of the abuse after Tottenham Hotspur failed to beat Bournemouth in Saturday’s early Premier League game.

The Argentina international was lucky to avoid picking up a second yellow card on a couple of occasions at the Vitality Stadium.

However, it was his lack of creativity that appeared to frustrate fans just as much as his risky tackles.

Lamela was torn to shreds on Twitter.

Even Lord Sugar – who used to own Tottenham Hotspur, but now fills his days by making thick business wannabes fight for his approval – called for Lamela to be taken off.

But Lamela was not taken off. He played the full 90.

And, according to player ratings compiled by WhoScored.com, he was Tottenham’s third best performer!

In fairness, Lamela did look strong on the ball, frequently shrugging off defenders as he looked to attack the Cherries from deep.

He also hit the woodwork with a speculative effort from distance.

Lamela’s problem was his attacking teammates. Neither Son Heung-min or Vincent Janssen were able to find space in dangerous areas, so Lamela’s options were severely limited.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2016/1...ed-for-tottenham-shortcomings-at-bournemouth/

----------------------------------------------

So, the stats shows Lamela was our top 3 performer against Bournemouth. Only Dembele and Wanyama performed better than Lamela against Bournemouth !

It was a performance reminiscent of his second season with us I thought and the reaction to it has been similar too - it was a mixed bag, lots of frustrating moments mixed in with some good, he was probably our best attacking player yesterday on balance (not saying much tbf) was always involved looking to make things happen, good runs in behind, beat players with the ball held it up and played some good passes in and around the final third BUT he also held on to the ball too long, got caught in possession, played some sloppy passes and was rash in the tackle - last season we saw less of the latter which allowed his good work to stand out more but yesterday and a few other times this season it has been creeping back in to his game

Last edited:
Paul Merson says he always thought Erik Lamela was a good player

Former Arsenal attacker Paul Merson said on the Sky Sports Now show on Sky Sports News HQ on Friday morning (broadcast from 10am, October 21, 2016) that he always thought that Tottenham Hotspur star Erik Lamela is a good player.

Merson made the comment while discussing his decision to include Lamela in his six-a-side team for Sky Sports’ Fantasy Six-A-Side.

The 24-year-old, who can play as an attacking midfielder or as a winger, is one of three Spurs players to be included in the team by the former England international.

“I have gone for Lamela, who I have always thought he was a good player even when he was struggling,” said Merson on Sky Sports News HQ on Friday morning (broadcast from 10am, October 21, 2016).

Lamela is one of the best and most important players for Tottenham and will be key for the team as the season progresses.

The Argentina international is likely to start for Spurs against Bournemouth away from home at the Vitality Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon.

Spurs will head into the match with confidence and will fancy their chances of picking up all three points.

Tottenham are third in the Premier League table at the moment with 18 points from eight matches, just a point behind leaders Emirates Marketing Project.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/2...always-thought-erik-lamela-was-a-good-player/

--------------------------------------------------

It is clear people outside Spurs, including those from Arsenal, appreciate Lamela more than some Spurs fans ! Thought Lamela had a good game against Bournemouth and was unlucky not to score a goal of the season contender. But strangely some Spurs fans are still not happy with him !

Because he doesn't score enough goals and his end product still leaves something to be desired. It's clear you have a biased opinion of him and refuse to acknowledge this. He also needs to stop diving into tackles, especially when he's on a yellow card.

Last season we saw Lamela mkII which was a massive improvement on Lamela mkI we saw in 2013/14 and 2014/15. He needs to keep playing to the mkII level whilst improving his goal tally. I think he's been ineffective for the most part this season, same goes for Eriksen btw as I don't want people to think I'm picking on Lamela.

He was our best attacking player yesterday without being exceptional. He went to ground too easy a couple of times I thought, but it is not really something he makes a habit of so I'll give him a pass. His career is on an upward trajectory but he is by no means the finished product. He has to get back to releasing the ball earlier. A lot of his improvement last season was down to that one simple fact IMO.

He was our best attacking player yesterday without being exceptional. He went to ground too easy a couple of times I thought, but it is not really something he makes a habit of so I'll give him a pass. His career is on an upward trajectory but he is by no means the finished product. He has to get back to releasing the ball earlier. A lot of his improvement last season was down to that one simple fact IMO.
Yesterday him and eriksen made good breaks only to find themselves isolated, our support play yesterday was shocking.

I like Lamela and i have said on many occasions on here that he is one of our most importent players. However he is not playing as well as he can and i do not think we can deny that, he was not as poor as many fans have tried to make out ( but then again there are many fans who always go overboard with their criticism when we do not win).

I agree with JTG to some extent that his transfer fee has/is held against him by some ( the same is happening with Sissoko as well).

I like Lamela and i have said on many occasions on here that he is one of our most importent players. However he is not playing as well as he can and i do not think we can deny that, he was not as poor as many fans have tried to make out ( but then again there are many fans who always go overboard with their criticism when we do not win).

I agree with JTG to some extent that his transfer fee has/is held against him by some ( the same is happening with Sissoko as well).

Thought he was one of the better performers yesterday. Somehow he needs to be surer of himself. He dithers too often when he has options. He needs to be more single minded.

He could score a lot more goals. He's showing potential there - hit the bar. Had he hit the back of the net we'd all be queuing up to celebrate his guile and work ethic.

Getting Dembele purring again in the side is key I think. It will allow Lamela and Eriksen to play more. Open space and allow us to not have to force the issue so much - trying to play down blocked/ blind alleys. Instead we can control attacks better, move defenses around more and create clearer openings to shoot.

Last edited:
I just wish he had some acceleration to his game. He gets in good positions and does shrug off some challenges, but then doesn't get at the opposition team. He's not all that strong either, though sometimes that's because he aims to get the free kick.

Imo he is pretty far away from being our most important player but he has carved out an important role in our side and has started to add end product to his game. I thought he actually played quite well yesterday but he was Wreckless and should have been subbed after 45 - very similar to tuesday night. He hasn't played too well in the last month and our problems to score have come from him and erisken being largely below par - we need our creativity and More outpt from them both

Thought he was one of the better performers yesterday. Somehow he needs to be surer of himself. He dithers too often when he has options. He needs to be more single minded.

He could score a lot more goals. He's showing potential there - hit the bar. Had he hit the back of the net we'd all be queuing up to celebrate his guile and work ethic.

Getting Dembele purring again in the side is key I think. It will allow Lamela and Eriksen to play more. Open space and allow us to not have to force the issue so much - trying to play down blocked/ blind alleys. Instead we can control attacks better, move defenses around more and create clearer openings to shoot.

Was left on the pitch despite his yellow and "one last foul" because he was so important to us I think. I think a lot of people were expecting him to be subbed at half time already, but Pochettino trusted him to keep his head and contribute for the team.

I just wish he had some acceleration to his game. He gets in good positions and does shrug off some challenges, but then doesn't get at the opposition team. He's not all that strong either, though sometimes that's because he aims to get the free kick.

Yes, he is sssoooo un-athletic. Bambi on ice.

Lamela is The Marmite Man. Some like him, some loath him. He annoys the crap out of me, but sometimes I just crave for some marmite on toast.
If Sainsburys have it in stock!

Will Tottenham miss Moussa Sissoko? A comparison with Erik Lamela

Tottenham's Moussa Sissoko faces a three game ban following an incident with Harry Arter on Saturday where he seemed to elbow his opponent.

Tottenham Hotspur face a period without winger Moussa Sissoko in the side following an altercation with Bournemouth's Harry Arter on Saturday. The Frenchman seemed to elbow his opponent and he has since been given a violent conduct charge which he has accepted, meaning he will likely miss the north London derby with Arsenal.

With Sissoko facing a ban, how will Spurs do without their summer signing? It is likely that Erik Lamela will be the man utilised on the right with the Argentine a very adept player out wide. We take a look at the numbers and work out if Sissoko will be missed by his team.

erik_lamela_v_moussa_sissoko_head_to_head_erik_lamela_vs_moussa__365591.jpg

The facts do not hide the difference between the two players. Of course, Sissoko has played 327 minutes this season in comparison to Lamela's 592, therefore allowing the Argentine to have more of a chance to impact games. However, when the Frenchman has played he has failed to inspire.

Lamela on the other hand has been impressive, with his passes and touches in particular very good. 103 successful final third passes is perhaps the most impressive stat as many teams have set up to frustrate Tottenham by sitting in their own half. This culminates in a very congested opposition half making passes in the final third difficult to complete, meaning that Lamela's success rate is excellent.

While Lamela has not been in the best scoring or assisting form this season, he has still eclipsed Sissoko's total and he has worked far harder for his team than he has in recent seasons. This is in comparison to Sissoko, who is a very quick and explosive player, however, he looks uninterested too often and gives the ball away frequently.

This is why many fans have already become somewhat frustrated with the former Saudi Sportswashing Machine player's performances. He has been brought on as a substitute to have an impact with his pace, but, instead, he looks laborious when he is making runs and often gives up on the ball far too easily.

The stats suggest that Tottenham will not miss Sissoko very much during his time on the sidelines. Most of his appearances have been from the bench so far and coach Mauricio Pochettino would have wanted the winger to have had more of an impact, something which he has failed to do.

Perhaps time on the sidelines will help Sissoko with his game. Tottenham play at a very high level under Pochettino and there can be no room for passengers. That is why the winger has looked so poor this season and he must find a way to remedy it quickly.

Tottenham next face reigning champions Leicester City at White Hart Lane with the London side looking to keep pace with the leading pack.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/26/will-tottenham-miss-moussa-sissoko-a-comparison-with-lamela/

----------------------------------------------------

I think Lamela has get back his good form recently, hitting the post against Bournesmouth and winning the penalty against Liverpool. Hope he will do even better against Leicester.

Back