• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Don't think there will be anything in this story. He doesn't need a recharge, he just needs time. He was coming into some consistent form at the end of last season, was our best player in the narrow home defeat to City and in quite a number of games in the run-in last season. He showed signs of developing the consistent quality that we all hoped he'd deliver when we bought him.

So what he needs isn't a loan to a Portuguese club (which for him would be a massive slap in the face and a sign of a career on a sliding slope - good players move from Portuguese football to England/Germany/Italy/Spain, not the other way round).

Lamela appears to be on a slow but ultimately upward curve in terms of his Spurs career and we just need to stick with him at this point in time IMO.
Agree - how would a loan to the Portuguese league benefit us...

Yeah,if we wanted to sell him I'm sure there'd be Seire A clubs willing to take him back for a decent price and I do think Lamela deserves one more season. If at the end of that one season he still hasn't performed well then we ship him off.

Yeah,if we wanted to sell him I'm sure there'd be Seire A clubs willing to take him back for a decent price and I do think Lamela deserves one more season. If at the end of that one season he still hasn't performed well then we ship him off.

+1

I wouldn't make him automatic first choice, I'd give Pritchcard a few games and let Lamela fight for his place.

He will stay, wouldn't be in the MLS squad otherwise and we have no cover for him bar Townsend who is more likely to be sold than him imo.

He'll ultimately go down in our annals as another punt that didn't pay off, IMO, and be sold back to Italy or Iberia, probably at a loss. I'm happy for him to be given another season to show more than just potential, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for the epiphany.

ScreenShot20150729at17.15.40.png

I was just thinking, if Berahino can play wide and also work as a 2nd striker, why can't Lamela? Isn't that what he essentially used to do at Roma?

I was just thinking, if Berahino can play wide and also work as a 2nd striker, why can't Lamela? Isn't that what he essentially used to do at Roma?

Because going on last season's evidence and today's dismal performance, it is anything but sure that he can play wide, let alone 2nd striker!!

Lamela really lacks balance. I think he knows what he wants to do, he has the skill and confidence to try it,but he has no balance.

So he keeps stumbling and the ball is never really under control.

Can you teach balance at his age? I don't know. ...

Hmmm .... still unproven, but has shown potential

After 2 years of giving nothing but taking everything from our club we should persist because he's shown potential?

Not for me. Would like to be proven wrong but he's never gonna do it for us.

After 2 years of giving nothing but taking everything from our club we should persist because he's shown potential?

Not for me. Would like to be proven wrong but he's never gonna do it for us.

right, not as ineffective as soldado but a close 2nd if it wasn't for the xfer fee, he would have been offloaded a long time ago

I still think his best position is more central, rather than on the wings. That being said, he was utter crap today.

How do we manage to fudge players up so badly?
(Modric and Bale aside.)

He's a shell of the player he was at Roma.. His progression has been the complete reverse of Bale's and I feel like we as a club must shoulder a share of the blame.

Admittedly the tumultuous managerial situation can't have helped.

I really hope he comes good this season, or he'll be off.

How do we manage to **** players up so badly?
(Modric and Bale aside.)

He's a shell of the player he was at Roma.. His progression has been the complete reverse of Bale's and I feel like we as a club must shoulder a share of the blame.

Admittedly the tumultuous managerial situation can't have helped.

I really hope he comes good this season, or he'll be off.

Surely Lamela has to take SOME of the blame himself too? At this point, most of us wouldn't really care too much if he did go "off".

I've said all along that he is a player who looks to have poor technique. He cannot control the ball on the run, is horribly one footed and he is a poor passer of the ball. His main asset is probably his energy and willingness to close down the opposition, but even that sometimes resembles a headless chicken with little tactical awareness.

I've said all along that he is a player who looks to have poor technique. He cannot control the ball on the run, is horribly one footed and he is a poor passer of the ball. His main asset is probably his energy and willingness to close down the opposition, but even that sometimes resembles a headless chicken with little tactical awareness.

I suppose it was a judgement call as with any player coming from another league - Can they replicate their form in the PL.

I just think with Lamela, he doesnt have the main attributes that give success in this country, he is very well suited to Italy and Spain, just not England.

Of course its up to him to show that isnt the case, but i haven't so far seen anything that would say he is going to ultimately succeed.

Back