• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

The problem is, if neither work out (make that step up), we risk another season with a very poor right side.

Only option for me that makes sense to me to keep both is if we plan to either play Townsend more on left, or move Lamela into middle

I agree, it is somewhat of a risk. But this season, inspite of everything, we finished 5th and got to a cup final. I think Lamela has the potential to make a bigger contribution if we keep the faith (infuriating as he can be at times) and that Townsend is a decent squad option for both flanks, whilst players like Pritchard come through.

Neither player has been consistently good enough so far, and I don't think Townsend will ever be good enough to be a regular starter. But I won't be unhappy if they are both here come next season.

I agree, it is somewhat of a risk. But this season, inspite of everything, we finished 5th and got to a cup final. I think Lamela has the potential to make a bigger contribution if we keep the faith (infuriating as he can be at times) and that Townsend is a decent squad option for both flanks, whilst players like Pritchard come through.

Neither player has been consistently good enough so far, and I don't think Townsend will ever be good enough to be a regular starter. But I won't be unhappy if they are both here come next season.

Neither would I, I would however be very unhappy if we don't have another RW option as alternative/competition at the start of next season

You can prove what you like with stats, the facts are we lose the ball far to much, Kane is the only play I feel confident will hold the ball the rest of the "forward players" are 50/50 at best. When I say Lamela won't chase a ball I mean one that is put in front of him, his workrate is first rate. I agree with Glenn Hoddle's assessment that a luxury player is one who gives the ball away, all the running around in the world doesn't make up for that.

Remember the back end of last season when people were bemoaning Rose. Signing Davies made Rose step it up.
I wonder if Pritchard will have a similar effect on Lamela.

You can prove what you like with stats, the facts are we lose the ball far to much, Kane is the only play I feel confident will hold the ball the rest of the "forward players" are 50/50 at best. When I say Lamela won't chase a ball I mean one that is put in front of him, his workrate is first rate. I agree with Glenn Hoddle's assessment that a luxury player is one who gives the ball away, all the running around in the world doesn't make up for that.

What exactly is people are trying to "prove with stats" here?

Lamela showed glimpses of his quality this season. He was our most creative player with 7 assists. Hope we will keep him for atleast 2 more seasons to see if he will develop into a world class player.

The interesting stat that Lamela wins the most interceptions and successful tackles, which would be great if we were looking for him to be a defender or midfield anchor man. I personally want to see goals and creativity from him, workrate I expect from everyone. I don't dislike, hate, despise any Spurs player and want to see them all perform well.

The interesting stat that Lamela wins the most interceptions and successful tackles, which would be great if we were looking for him to be a defender or midfield anchor man. I personally want to see goals and creativity from him, workrate I expect from everyone. I don't dislike, hate, despise any Spurs player and want to see them all perform well.
He's also our most effective creative player - deffo needs to start chipping in with more goals though, has got himself in to some good positions this season fairly frequently so that's something we could see improve.

If he can start firing off some shots in those promising positions I'd be happy. He's looked really involved tonight and seems to have more freedom.

I count last season as almost his first one as he was injured most of his first season and didn't get a run in the team either, just a few odd games from what I recall.

incredible skill that it was its not really worthy of the prize imo, you have to take into account stage and opposition, Messi, is a clear winner for me

I think him being left footed is an important matter in terms of price (and probably had a big hand in Bale being sold so high too) and in the patience shown to him and Townsend. Maybe Poch really wants a left footer there which makes it tough on all our right footers like Chadli, Pritchard etc. Whenever these slower creative midfielders play on the right and they're right-footed they often look about a quarter of the player. I remember Modric, Kranjcar and VDV looking quite poor when they were on their natural side. Probably a few others too.

I think him being left footed is an important matter in terms of price (and probably had a big hand in Bale being sold so high too) and in the patience shown to him and Townsend. Maybe Poch really wants a left footer there which makes it tough on all our right footers like Chadli, Pritchard etc. Whenever these slower creative midfielders play on the right and they're right-footed they often look about a quarter of the player. I remember Modric, Kranjcar and VDV looking quite poor when they were on their natural side. Probably a few others too.
There's quite a strong theory that left-footedness adds significant value to a player. I'll see if I can find the write-up.

Edit: Here it is
http://statsbomb.com/2015/07/footedness-and-why-erik-lamela-is-worth-30m/

It's not rocket science. There are less left-footed players, but there is a demand for left-footed players. In a supply and demand market place, this means they will be more expensive, as a rarer, but desirable commodity.

Season long loan to Porto. Might be the recharge he needs.

Don't think there will be anything in this story. He doesn't need a recharge, he just needs time. He was coming into some consistent form at the end of last season, was our best player in the narrow home defeat to City and in quite a number of games in the run-in last season. He showed signs of developing the consistent quality that we all hoped he'd deliver when we bought him.

So what he needs isn't a loan to a Portuguese club (which for him would be a massive slap in the face and a sign of a career on a sliding slope - good players move from Portuguese football to England/Germany/Italy/Spain, not the other way round).

Lamela appears to be on a slow but ultimately upward curve in terms of his Spurs career and we just need to stick with him at this point in time IMO.

Season long loan to Porto. Might be the recharge he needs.
Are you referring to this report?

Portuguese paper Record claim Porto are close to agreeing an initial loan deal that would include the option to sign Erik Lamela for just 7.5million euros (£5.3million) at the end of the 2015/16 season.

If so that must be nonsense....

Back