• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Still this thread is pretty healthy...........

say what you want about him but he certainly gets us talking....divides us......frustrates us.

Re people comparing him Bale, Gareth Bale had something about him even before redknapp took over. Those first few games under Ramos, I felt he was the only player who could get us out of trouble. Bale is more skilful, a better athlete, better finisher, better in the air, even before he took off.

The fact remains Jurgen there were many spurs fans wanting shot of Bale, and up until the beginning of the season there were those insisting Kane was championship standard at best. Many of those have been humble enough to admit they were wrong about him and I admire them for that. Personally I did not give an opinion on him....I sat on the fence but I would never of imagined he would do what he has done thus far...(long may it continue)

There is valid evidence and valid reasons to persist with this player and certainly not place him on the deadwood shelf just yet.

We all see players differently, I respect that....I will be perfectly happy to come on here and admit I was hopelessly macaronic to believe in him if his time here ends badly....that's if the wife doesn't kill me before the end of his time here.

Just saying again recent history shows us we can be wrong about players....Not many were saying Kane will have 25 goals come late February before a ball was kicked in anger at the beginning of the season.

Either way we will come to a stage very soon, where there will be no more 'adapting to english game' 'settling in' statements to be made, he will need to show more than he has and I fully appreciate that.

Have to pick you on this post mate (in the spirit of debate ;))...

To the first point in bold, proof positive that you should take a breath and see if you really believe there's a player there before judging.
That second point, it's funny, I think generally VdV constructed a wonderful 'cult ' here but was actually disappointing in talent-versus-time-versus-delivery ratio. He scored a few big derby goals, but when we really needed him he was not there! he did not score at Villa away when we played the game in their half, he did nothing at the Bernabeau, and he was pretty much always off the pitch by the 70th minute. I am going to get coated I know, but if ever you wanted a player who played for himself first and foremost. I liked him but never loved him.
That third point, I think he is still 21? VdV was what, 28, 29 when he came to us?
That fourth point, clearly explained in other posts with context, so I can only assume you wish to ignore them.

It's clear you don't rate him mate, it's clear some of us do. As ever, let us hope Spurs benefits from a top player continuing to bloom and that he matures into a gem.

Absolutely fair and reasonable comments

VDV was a bit of a cult I agree but he did score some important goals. He also disappeared after 70 minutes a lot

What id love to know issue do people actually liken him too? I Don't mean propsectively I mean at the moment?

I can't think of any young foreign wingers that play here like him at the moment

The main reason I spoke of Bale & Kane is they are prime examples where being patient with players has really worked for us.

And the same could be said for Chadli, Rose, Mason and Bentaleb, 4 players who have made big strides this season, and who it could be said have also come through some degree of 'turmoil' at the club.

Last edited:
Oh and I've said plenty of times that when we signed him I thought he was perfect. I saw him play for Roma about 8 games that season and he was balesque. He looked quick too

What it has down for me is make me realise how poor that league is and how slow the defenders are which is why I think we will on Thursday

Oh and I've said plenty of times that when we signed him I thought he was perfect. I saw him play for Roma about 8 games that season and he was balesque. He looked quick too

What it has down for me is make me realise how poor that league is and how slow the defenders are which is why I think we will on Thursday

To be fair this has been a fine discussion mate, and I suspect we all want him to blossom fully. I agree. We should be able to turn them over.

Who were these Spurs fans who wanted shot of Bale? I don't remember anybody on here expressing this view. The reason? He went from a promising squad player, to being injured and then just exploded into great form. No-one wanted shot of him, because nobody saw him as being significant when his form was poor. He was just another prospect.

I notced that his performance is much more better when he plays alongside Kane and ERksen. Not only because they are good players but also because I think he relieved at this point as the team not depend on him mainly. His personality is the matter.

So can I, it's precisely 2.44 times per 90. AKA 4 times as often per 90 than Townsend, 1.6 times as often as Eriksen and 1.8 times as many as Chadli. That makes him the second most effective at taking on other players out of all our options for the 3 behind Kane (second to Dembele).

At nearly 55% he wins more of those than he loses, and is miles ahead of both Chadli and Townsend (the two other options for that wide role).

It's amazing the tricks one's mind can play. As someone far more knowledgeable than I am wrote:

You should read the following author, I think you'll find him enlightening and very relevant to the point in hand:
http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/more-evidence-our-memory-stinks/

You do realise that this stat will include the numerous times he tries to take on 3 men and loses it after knocking it past the first man, OR the time where the first man shows him down a blind alley and he gets dispossessed. His taking on of defenders is largely woeful.

FairPlay you like him.... to everyone else (other fans), I have always defended him yet I don't see why you are defending him to the hilt and looking for stats (funnily enough nearly any player can be made to look good with facts even when they are brick) because he has been awful most of the time..... not average, not up and down but plain awful. You can 100% say he has talent and maybe he will come good next year but to date, this signing has been a complete abortion.

I wouldn't sell him this summer but equally I will not be expecting a great deal from him. I mean Chadli showed some real sparks last year before pushing on, but for me Lamela struggles to even do the basics right - he is completely infuriating.

You do realise that this stat will include the numerous times he tries to take on 3 men and loses it after knocking it past the first man, OR the time where the first man shows him down a blind alley and he gets dispossessed. His taking on of defenders is largely woeful.

FairPlay you like him.... to everyone else (other fans), I have always defended him yet I don't see why you are defending him to the hilt and looking for stats (funnily enough nearly any player can be made to look good with facts even when they are crud) because he has been awful most of the time..... not average, not up and down but plain awful. You can 100% say he has talent and maybe he will come good next year but to date, this signing has been a complete abortion.

I wouldn't sell him this summer but equally I will not be expecting a great deal from him. I mean Chadli showed some real sparks last year before pushing on, but for me Lamela struggles to even do the basics right - he is completely infuriating.
You obviously neglected to read the last bit of my post ;)

I notced that his performance is much more better when he plays alongside Kane and ERksen. Not only because they are good players but also because I think he relieved at this point as the team not depend on him mainly. His personality is the matter.
I don't think the rest of the team see him as a key figure to rely on at the moment. I think they still look at him as the vulnerable young man who is still trying to settle in.

He needs to step up in these last few months else I think he may be transfer market fodder. If a team from Italy came in and offered £20 million I'd say take it. I'd like to keep him in the squad, but right now that's it.

He needs to step up in these last few months else I think he may be transfer market fodder. If a team from Italy came in and offered £20 million I'd say take it. I'd like to keep him in the squad, but right now that's it.

20million.... Really? He, unlike soldado does have worth, but you honestly think we could get 20 million for him?

I think I should go back to qunting this guy off coz, ever since I started thinking that he was showing a bit of promise, he's been rotten. He's got to get back on track for the run-in.

I think he is a young player with the world on his shoulders, he was close to MOM against Liverpool at Anfield. I don't have a problem with him as long as I see progression, which I do.

Lamela was playing against an Italian side yesterday and considering the fact he knows their style and has played (arguably quite well) there, he should have looked far more dangerous and convincing.

Poch decided to take time with him in training without any interfering even from matches:rolleyes:.
My predection is that he will play the last 2 games of the season or 3, hoping that he will show improvment help him to work harder in the summer.

Poch decided to take time with him in training without any interfering even from matches:rolleyes:.
My predection is that he will play the last 2 games of the season or 3, hoping that he will show improvment help him to work harder in the summer.

You could be right. Let's hope it works.

Back