• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend this summer?

How much will we spend this summer

• £0m - £20m

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • £20m - £50m

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • £50m - £75m

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • £75 - £100m

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • £100m+

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
Ignore arsenal if you want, but there is a positive correlation between high wages and topping whichever industry you are in. There will be exceptions but it will always revert to the norm. i.e. like once in a blue moon Leicester. Man U, Liverpool, Real etc say otherwise
Have arsenal under Arteta not ditch a lot of really big earners and have improved since?

It's a lot more complicated than "spend more on wages, you'll win more". More successful team generate more money so can spend more on wages. They can also retain their best players by giving them improved contracts. Replace players that are not working. Building a core.

Have arsenal under Arteta not ditch a lot of really big earners and have improved since?
Not really
They have ditched big earners and brought in new players on new big contracts plus increased deals for players they had
They have moved the money. That’s sensible
It’s what we are doing. The pot isn’t getting bigger, just being used differently

Last edited:
So if we spent double the transfer fee and wages on solanke we'd have more chance of winning something?
No his argument will be that if we were willing to offer double the wages we would be able to attract a higher calibre of player. There are players that we can't attract due not being willing or able to pay the wages they demand. There is a correlation between quality of player and wages they are paid hence the correlation between wage bills and achievement league finishes.

No his argument will be that if we were willing to offer double the wages we would be able to attract a higher calibre of player. There are players that we can't attract due not being willing or able to pay the wages they demand. There is a correlation between quality of player and wages they are paid hence the correlation between wage bills and achievement league finishes.

So is sancho (£350k a week) better than wirtz (£86k a week)?

I get what you are saying. But the club has to get best value. Leverkusen were the best team in europe last season with a small wage bill. Liverpool when challenging city were not spending much more than us. Even arsenal now (although we have cut).

Think we need a pacy, tricky winger/forward. Someone to beat 1 or 2 defenders to open space for others to exploit. Either that or an Eriksen type, thought Maddison would do that role but not seen enough from him in that regard.

So about £50m left in the kitty not including any more potential sales?

I doubt we have a set budget as such. Payments will be in installments agreed with the selling club. We'll also have payments from previous transfers still to be made. Guessing the club will want to keep wages and those payments in a certain range to match our cashflow.

It would be nice to see one more marquee signing, as in truth we have had one loan winger, two teenagers and a forward who is barely an international. A nice Van Der Vaart to finish this window off would be awesome. Oddly I was thinking it might be worth trying to bring Bergwyn back, as under Ange he would fly.

It would be nice to see one more marquee signing, as in truth we have had one loan winger, two teenagers and a forward who is barely an international. A nice Van Der Vaart to finish this window off would be awesome. Oddly I was thinking it might be worth trying to bring Bergwyn back, as under Ange he would fly.

If there's a van der Vaart deal, I reckon it would be Raphinha coming in p/x for Lo Celso.

Transfermarkt says that we've spent a net amount of 110 million euros so far this summer. That does not include Royale's transfer and only shows us as having received a fee for Rodon so far with every other departure bringing in zero funds.

Assuming Royale's sale brings in about 15m euros that would put us on 95m euros net. Without further departures I don't think I see us having any more than another 35 to 50m euros to spend.

The only player who might end up being sold that I see bringing in a modicum of funds is Skip, as I don't see anyone paying anything more than token amounts for either Lo Celso or Solomon.

As things stand I think we'll sign one more player this summer.

Transfermarkt says that we've spent a net amount of 110 million euros so far this summer. That does not include Royale's transfer and only shows us as having received a fee for Rodon so far with every other departure bringing in zero funds.

Assuming Royale's sale brings in about 15m euros that would put us on 95m euros net. Without further departures I don't think I see us having any more than another 35 to 50m euros to spend.

The only player who might end up being sold that I see bringing in a modicum of funds is Skip, as I don't see anyone paying anything more than token amounts for either Lo Celso or Solomon.

As things stand I think we'll sign one more player this summer.
But that would still end up a lot of money invested and a hell of turns around in squad depth
If we think about players who weren’t here (some were signed) pre Ange to now …. It’s a lot

Vicario
VDV
Dragusin
Destiny
Gray
Sarr (tenuous)
Maddison
Bergvall
Johnson
Werner
solanke

Add in another signing and that’s a whole first 11 and a sub

We also now have a comfortable position it seems (from the outside ) with Spence who is almost a new signing by default

And adding that we have shipped out players who can’t play Ange ball.

We’re in a much stronger position

Then add in some youth to the depth and it’s a very different squad shape to June 2023

But that would still end up a lot of money invested and a hell of turns around in squad depth
If we think about players who weren’t here (some were signed) pre Ange to now …. It’s a lot

Vicario
VDV
Dragusin
Destiny
Gray
Sarr (tenuous)
Maddison
Bergvall
Johnson
Werner
solanke

We also now have a comfortable position it seems (from the outside ) with Spence who is almost a new signing by default

Then add in some youth to the depth and it’s a very different squad shape to June 2023
Add in Solomon and you have 11 since Ange

Edit: At least no one’s talking about a rebuild anymore

Vicario
VDV
Dragusin
Destiny
Gray
Sarr (tenuous)
Maddison
Bergvall
Johnson
Werner
solanke

I can't wait to see Spence this season. We work our fullbacks hard so if he's back in the fold he will get game time. Amazing to see Royal move on and we are instantly stronger with Spence and also Gray able to play there.

Back