• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
The collapse? So many factors. Being two nil up against the goons and then getting smashed was a factor. Arry not turning down the England job and flirting with the idea may be a factor (although many pundits will argue players couldn't gie a brick who the manager is). One huge factor for me was Azza being injured, we just didn't cope with that.

Harry Redknapp dismisses Vedran Corluka's 'lack of rotation' claims

Harry Redknapp has described as "nonsense" claims by Vedran Corluka that a lack of squad rotation is to blame for Tottenham's slide.

Corluka, on loan at Bayer Leverkusen from Spurs, fears they could finish as low as sixth, despite at one point vying for the Premier League title.

But Redknapp dismissed Corluka's comments and is confident Spurs can still qualify for the Champions League.

Tottenham's last nine league results
21 April: QPR away L 0-1

09 April: Norwich home L 1-2

07 April: Sunderland away D 0-0

01 April: Swansea home W 3-1

24 March: Chelsea away D 0-0

21 March: Stoke home D 1-1

10 March: Everton away L 0-1

04 March: Man Utd home L 1-3

26 February: Arsenal away 2-5

"It's a load of nonsense and it's an excuse," he said.

Corluka raised his concerns about Tottenham's poor form in an interview with BBC Sport on Thursday.

Redknapp's men have fallen to fifth after one win in nine league games since hammering Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0 at White Hart Lane on 11 February.

The result left Tottenham five points behind leaders Manchester United with 13 games remaining, yet they now find themselves six points behind third-placed Arsenal with four matches left.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they finished sixth," said Corluka. "They didn't rotate enough, they don't have depth on the bench."

But Redknapp used his pre-match news conference ahead of Sunday's home game with Blackburn to hit back.

"I like 'Charlie' and he's entitled to his opinion," added Redknapp.

"Most of the players have played about 30 games. I didn't play any of them in the Europa League, most of them didn't play in the FA Cup until the later rounds.

"I don't ever remember Bobby Moore getting rotated or Geoff Hurst or Martin Peters, playing ankle-deep in mud every week.

"I don't think 30 games a season is too many for a player to play, and it's my decision anyway.

"It's difficult to rotate a team. It's ok to rotate if you have enough players to rotate and you're very, very strong in all positions.

"I've not been in a position, I feel, where it's been right to rest Gareth Bale. He's had to play, he's a fantastic player.

"I 'm very happy with what I have done.

"I saw Frank Lampard played 60 games a season, I didn't see him talking about being rotated.

"I didn't hear anyone complaining a month or so ago when we were beating everybody and flying."

A Splendid Mail On Spurs
In response specifically to Chris Charteris, but also some other mailboxers who have had a little dig at Spurs fans for apparently turning on Redknapp quickly and should stick with him.

Firstly, Chris' assertion that we have turned on the manager quickly. A lot of supporters didn't like him to begin with. When manager of Portsmouth, he labelled our support as 'scum' for chants at Sol Campbell whilst at Portsmouth, saying he can't understand it. I'll hold my hands up, I've chanted at Sol Campbell over the years and some of the chants are close to the bone, but he did lie to THFC for an entire year saying he would sign a contract, we turned down a substantial bid from Barcelona for him as we wanted to keep him. There are a whole catalogue of his lies over the year before he eventually signed for Arsenal, our rivals, if HR hadn't noticed. Its not exactly 'How To Make Friends And Influence People' is it? But I suppose a manager who ditched Portsmouth to go to Southampton and then ditched Southampton to go back to Portsmouth wouldn't understand that.

Secondly, and to everyone else, who say Spurs have come a long way under Redknapp, can you explain what he has done that any other half decent manager wouldn't, let alone a good manager? This end of season slump isn't new. We were playing well and in contention for top 4 around Feb last season with all the CL games thrown in, before we slumped to 5th after winning 3 out of the last 15 games, because he doesn't rotate and the players were f*cked, and the fringe players had lost interest. Last year, I put it down to being a one off as we'd finished strongly the previous year. It has happened again. A one-off is now becoming a trend. Food for thought - Chelsea were 5th at start of Feb last year. They finished 2nd.

Thirdly, during the slump last year, he again, did not take responsibility. He was indignant in interviews (remember when he slagged off Bent on camera after a game? "Sandra would have scored that" etc and he came out with that absolute corker "They've never had it so good." Well first of all, the older generation of fans would disagree. The squad of players we have now is much better than we've had in the Premier League era and as such, is it unrealistic or even deluded to expect a little more success as a result of this? Well, Harry doesn't. He seems to think that "All they've had is an average position of 10th and a couple of Carling Cups in 20 years so I don't know what they are moaning about". Well, you may support a club with a better squad than Spurs, but lets just pretend you don't for a minute. If you had Tottenhams squad and your manager was coming out with rubbish like that, how would you feel? How would you feel if, after a home defeat against Norwich and a toothless away defeat at QPR, which sandwiched an almighty humbling at Wembley, the manager then came out and instead of holding his hands up, basically said 'Well, you've always been sh*t, not my fault guv'nor'?

On a final note, we now have half a squad that doesn't want to play at Spurs anymore as they've been frozen out, whilst most of the remaining half will be circled by vultures for the entire summer, whilst the pilot is a man that barely thinks more than 5 minutes ahead. I know that there are clubs being relegated and even going to the wall and that Spurs have it good in comparison, but what an absolute clusterf**k we have turned into under HR. Lack of ambition in his actions and comments will be enough to make Modric and Bale want to leave, before clubs have even made an approach.
Ross THFC (A fairly recent convert to the Harry Out bandwagon)
PS, if you look at Tottenhams history and Harry Redknapp's history, I think you'll find that it's Harry Redknapp that has 'never had it so good'.

I just want to say that I have repeatedly said, in numerous posts over the last 18 months, that Harry looks after Harry.

Harry Redknapp and Spurs; an unravelling season
April 24, 2012
As I type this, Tottenham Hotspur are fifth in the Premier League. With four games to go before the end of the season, there is a good chance that they will finish outside of the Champions League places. Indeed, it’s not impossible that Spurs will finish sixth, behind Manchester United, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Chelsea. For a team that has spent most of this season in third place, and that was close to topping the table at times, this would a very disappointing end to the campaign. Whether Spurs finish third or sixth; whether the season is a triumph or a failure, only one man is really responsible: Harry Redknapp.

I’ve always liked Harry. Before he came to Spurs, I always admired the way his teams played football and the way he handled players, getting the most out of them. I wasn’t always fond of his wheeler-dealer schtick, but I liked his enthusiasm and irreverence. Since he’s been Spurs manager I’ve managed to take a closer look at him, and some of the shine has worn off. I still think he’s a good manager, although the last few games of this season will determine just how good.

Before I go any further, I’d like to clarify how I see the role of a football manager. It’s different overseas, where there is more of a director of football/coach set-up, but in England, as far as I am concerned, the manager is GHod. The whole identity of a club is determined by the manager. Obviously, a manager is limited by the finances at his disposal, but beyond that, he has complete control. The manager should be in charge of selecting which players to buy and sell, training the team (alongside coaches), selecting the tactics for each game, developing the players – both mentally and physically, man-managing each player so that they are used to their full potential, picking the team on the match-day and making tactical changes and substitutions when necessary. The manager should have a plan for the long-term, understanding their objectives for the season and how they will use their squad to realise those objectives. If that sounds like a lot of work, that’s because it is. The manager has to take control. When Roberto Mancini was criticized for his handling of the Carlos Tevez affair, he found an unlikely ally in Sir Alex Ferguson, who backed the Italian and reiterated his belief that the manager remains the most important figure at a football club. Sir Alex Ferguson is a good example of how a football team is moulded in the identity of a manager. Players (and owners) come and go but every Manchester United team remains defiantly Ferguson. Even when the players aren’t great, the team still reflects Ferguson’s identity and embodies his desire for victory. Mediocre Man Utd teams regularly beat the best Spurs teams.

Harry Redknapp has been in charge of Tottenham Hotspur since October 2008. He has been in control of the team for nearly four years and has done a lot for the club. As he is fond of telling the press, when he joined Spurs they had 2 points after 8 games and were propping up the table. He has done well with the players at his disposal and has been backed in the transfer market when needed. The current Spurs squad is very much a Harry squad, composed of players he has brought into the club (Friedel, Parker, Defoe, Gallas, Adebayor, Saha) and players who were already at Spurs, but who who he has moulded into his style of play (Bale, Lennon, King, Assou-Ekotto). There remain a handful of players who Redknapp clearly doesn’t rate but who he can’t get rid of (Dos Santos, Bentley). But it is very much Harry’s team. When the team plays well, as it has done regularly over the last few years, it is due to good management by Harry, and when the team plays badly, it is because of bad management by Harry. That is how football works. Win, lose or draw, it is because of Harry.

When a team is playing badly and losing games, one of the mantras repeated by football fans and pundits is that the players have to take responsibility – that the manager can’t go out there on the pitch and play the game for them. This is a fundamentally flawed statement. Of course the players have some responsibility, but the ultimate responsibility always lies with the manager. It is his responsibility to pick the right team over the course of the season to ensure that players remain fresh, to ensure all the players understand their roles on the pitch, to motivate players and protect them from pressure, to inspire and lead them. If the players are nervous or tired or flat, this is a failure on behalf of the management.

Which brings us back to Harry Redknapp. One of the reasons I like Harry less now than when he first took over at Spurs is because I understand what motivates him. What motivates him is doing the best thing for Harry Redknapp. In many ways that is understandable, but it is an unedifying sight. I’ve watched countless post-match interviews with Harry and have come to marvel at how he deflects attention away from his own failings. When Spurs play against Emirates Marketing Project or Chelsea Harry is quick to highlight how much money these clubs have and how Spurs can’t compete. When Spurs lose to Stoke or Norwich, Harry isn’t quite so keen to dwell on the financial disparity. When a player he brought to Spurs has done well, he will highlight how he had to persuade the chairman Daniel Levy to buy him (see Scott Parker). He ensures that when things are going well, credit goes to Harry and when things are going badly he manages to shift responsibility onto players or other figures at the club – he throws up his hands and claims that he is helpless. He has given almost no credit to Daniel Levy for ensuring that Luka Modric remained at Tottenham after the Croatian attempted to jump ship to Chelsea. In the recent slump Harry has often talked about the failings in the squad, whether it is tiredness or lack or height, as though he’s not directly responsible for those failings. He is the manager. He has been the manager for 4 years. If the players are tired or playing badly it is because he hasn’t managed them properly. If the squad is lacking depth in certain positions, it’s no one’s fault but Harry’s.

In some ways I don’t entirely blame Harry for the way he deals with the press – you don’t survive that long in football management by giving the media and fans enough rope to hang you with.

And despite Harry’s attitude irritating me, it hasn’t really upset me too much because over the last four years, what has been good for Harry Redknapp has nearly always coincided with what was good for Spurs. That all changed in February 2012. A day after Harry was cleared of two counts of cheating the public revenue, England manager Fabio Capello quit his post. Harry was instantly installed as favourite to replace him and a media campaign to appoint Redknapp as England manager sprung into action.

Of course, Harry himself refused to commit himself either way, because being Harry he wants to keep him options open. He could have issued a “come-and-get-me” plea and stated that he wanted the England position. He could have stated that he wanted to stay with Spurs. He did neither. He left as many doors open as possible. And almost immediately, Tottenham’s season turned to brick. Of course, according to Harry, the dip in Tottenham’s form has nothing to do him being linked to the England job. Because, according to Harry, none of his decisions ever have any negative impact on the team. Over and over he has stated that the players aren’t affected by the uncertainty hanging over the club, as though not knowing who the manager will be next season or whether your manager will even last until the end of the season won’t get into a player’s head. A lot of football is mental. The difference between a great player (Fernando Torres for Liverpool) and a poor player (Fernando Torres for Chelsea) is rarely physical. It’s an accumulation of doubts, fears, lack of self-belief and self-confidence. Players are affected by what goes on around them. Of course they are.

I’m not suggesting that Spurs’ recent slump is entirely down to Harry flirting with the FA. There are plenty more issues. But what unites all these issues is that as manager, Harry is responsible for all of them. As I’ve said before: this is Harry’s team.

Earlier in the season, when Spurs were 3rd and making an almost-credible push for the Premier League title, Harry Redknapp repeatedly stated that it was possible for Spurs to win the league – that the club had the players and resources to do it. I suspect, because I’ve heard it so many times before, that if Spurs do finish fifth or sixth, that Harry will swiftly rewrite history and claim that “we can’t compete with the Arsenals and Chelseas of the world” and that finishing sixth is a wonderful achievement. Because that’s what Harry does: he always paints a picture in which he is blameless. [cont...]

I was thinking recently that Spurs need a leader: not a leader on the pitch, but a leader in the dug-out. Because no matter how good a manager Harry is, he isn’t a leader. Being a leader involves a certain degree of self-sacrifice. It means standing tall and taking responsibility for your actions. It’s not about being liked by the press or players. It’s not about jumping ship when an opportunity arises. It’s about committing to a cause and leading by example.

This article isn’t an attack on Harry. I still like him. I think he’s a good manager. Over the last couple of years Spurs have played some extraordinarily good football. He has done a lot for Tottenham Hotspur. But Tottenham Hotspur has also done a lot for him. Despite a potentially damaging court case hanging over him, in 2008 Daniel Levy gave him the manager’s job and the budget and support to succeed. It was this support that put Harry in the frame to be England manager. As much as Spurs owe a debt of gratitude to Harry, so he owes something to Spurs.

I hope that Spurs qualify for the Champions League. I hope that Harry Redknapp has the skill and experience to pick the right team for the remaining games, and the passion and craft to motivate and inspire the players to victory. I really do. And if he fails, I don’t want to hear his excuses

Superbly put. And, ultimately, it is why Harry will devour his own mini-legacy here...quite simply, he does not see that he owes us anything, never has, always looks for himself first and thus will ultimately leave a tarnished era. I have to say, if we do somehow stumble into 4th, and if Chelski do lose the final, it will (at this stage) have been despite the manager not because of him...

His belligerence will be, and IS, his undoing...

Originally I agreed with those saying its Redknapps fault for not rotating but I read the full interview in the Evenening Standard, where he spoke about Lampard, Rooney etc and the amount of games they play and how they are never rested etc...

Now don't get me wrong resting Modric etc for the very occassional game might not of hurt(although like Redknapp says the back up we have is nowhere near as good) and like he said Lampard plays 60 games in a season to a high level and he's by no stretch of the imagination the fittest player in the league.

So, could all the suggestions of not rotating enough just be an incorrect assumption from a lot of fans on here? Because lets be honest, had he rotated and it hadn't come off(which is likely with our inferior back up) we would have questioned Redknapps decisions to play Pienaar/Bassong etc instead of our big hitters.....

Harry Redknapp dismisses Vedran Corluka's 'lack of rotation' claims

Harry Redknapp has described as "nonsense" claims by Vedran Corluka that a lack of squad rotation is to blame for Tottenham's slide.

Corluka, on loan at Bayer Leverkusen from Spurs, fears they could finish as low as sixth, despite at one point vying for the Premier League title.

But Redknapp dismissed Corluka's comments and is confident Spurs can still qualify for the Champions League.

Tottenham's last nine league results
21 April: QPR away L 0-1

09 April: Norwich home L 1-2

07 April: Sunderland away D 0-0

01 April: Swansea home W 3-1

24 March: Chelsea away D 0-0

21 March: Stoke home D 1-1

10 March: Everton away L 0-1

04 March: Man Utd home L 1-3

26 February: Arsenal away 2-5

"It's a load of nonsense and it's an excuse," he said.

Corluka raised his concerns about Tottenham's poor form in an interview with BBC Sport on Thursday.

Redknapp's men have fallen to fifth after one win in nine league games since hammering Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0 at White Hart Lane on 11 February.

The result left Tottenham five points behind leaders Manchester United with 13 games remaining, yet they now find themselves six points behind third-placed Arsenal with four matches left.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they finished sixth," said Corluka. "They didn't rotate enough, they don't have depth on the bench."

But Redknapp used his pre-match news conference ahead of Sunday's home game with Blackburn to hit back.

"I like 'Charlie' and he's entitled to his opinion," added Redknapp.

"Most of the players have played about 30 games. I didn't play any of them in the Europa League, most of them didn't play in the FA Cup until the later rounds.

"I don't ever remember Bobby Moore getting rotated or Geoff Hurst or Martin Peters, playing ankle-deep in mud every week.

"I don't think 30 games a season is too many for a player to play, and it's my decision anyway.

"It's difficult to rotate a team. It's ok to rotate if you have enough players to rotate and you're very, very strong in all positions.

"I've not been in a position, I feel, where it's been right to rest Gareth Bale. He's had to play, he's a fantastic player.

"I 'm very happy with what I have done.

"I saw Frank Lampard played 60 games a season, I didn't see him talking about being rotated.

"I didn't hear anyone complaining a month or so ago when we were beating everybody and flying."

As much as I cant stand him anymore, I actually agree with all of this bit.

He's said some incredibly stupid things recently, but he's bang on here! I simply don't buy the excuse of players being tired. Barca players don't seem to get tired despite playing 38 league games, getting to the semi finals or better in the champions league every season and getting to the latter stages of international tournaments for Spain every two years.

Originally I agreed with those saying its Redknapps fault for not rotating but I read the full interview in the Evenening Standard, where he spoke about Lampard, Rooney etc and the amount of games they play and how they are never rested etc...

Now don't get me wrong resting Modric etc for the very occassional game might not of hurt(although like Redknapp says the back up we have is nowhere near as good) and like he said Lampard plays 60 games in a season to a high level and he's by no stretch of the imagination the fittest player in the league.

So, could all the suggestions of not rotating enough just be an incorrect assumption from a lot of fans on here? Because lets be honest, had he rotated and it hadn't come off(which is likely with our inferior back up) we would have questioned Redknapps decisions to play Pienaar/Bassong etc instead of our big hitters.....

According to ESPN he's started 564 games for Chelsea & England since signing in 2001/2, plus another 45 substitute appearances, so homework has clearly been done (probably by someone else, given Harry's admitted difficulties with basic mathematics). This is the chap who thinks we are 4th in the PL though, so it's not that persuasive imv.

Where he is very clever though is in citing his nephew, the most prolific midfielder of the PL era, as the default/benchmark/par.

I must reluctantly doff my hat in respect to his sheer gall/effrontery/audacity.....

The rules are simple.
The game stops being simple once your opposing team starts picking your game apart and setting up to counter it. Then it becomes a chess game.

Its all about having good players first and foremost and then giving them a framework to perform, our problem is that we are too gung-ho, just stop our fullbacks pushing up that would improve us enormously defensively, we just lack a goal scorer to turn our possesion into goals.

According to ESPN he's started 564 games for Chelsea & England since signing in 2001/2, plus another 45 substitute appearances, so homework has clearly been done (probably by someone else, given Harry's admitted difficulties with basic mathematics). This is the chap who thinks we are 4th in the PL though, so it's not that persuasive imv.

Where he is very clever though is in citing his nephew, the most prolific midfielder of the PL era, as the default/benchmark/par.

I must reluctantly doff my hat in respect to his sheer gall/effrontery/audacity.....

Lampard wasn't the only player he mentioned.

Here's a bit more of what was said if of interest:

“Look at people like Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole. They play well over 40 games most seasons and they’re not rotated. It’s a load of nonsense and it’s an excuse.

“If people keep telling players they’re tired, they’ll believe it. The pitches they train and play on now are unbelievable. It’s not like days gone by when teams were playing ankle deep in mud.

“Most of these players have had 30 games and I’ve rotated where I can in the Europa League and in the FA Cup. I don’t remember people like Bobby Moore or Dave Mackay complaining about how many games they’ve played.

“If we could have improved a bit in the window, we would, but the people we wanted weren’t available. We’ve had a bad run but I think our one bad performance in the League has been when we lost at home to Norwich.

“We’re not down or despondent. We have four games to finish in the top three or four and that’s what we’ll try to do.”

Considering Redknapp has only played his strongest side in the PL and to an extent FA Cup, that has amounted to about one game a week and there is no way fatigue should occur with this sort of schedule.

If we had CL games midweek then fair enough, but Redknapp himself admitted after last season that he didn't use the squad enough between CL games so he is aware of the need to rotate when necessary.

You can throw many things at Redknapp, but I'm not sure a lack of necessary rotation is one of them....

Back