• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Statistically 1 in 9 is pretty bad, especially considering the squad and ressources we had before Christmas. And the fact, that promoted teams make us look clueless.

These performances are as bad as under Pleat, and with much, much better players.

As I've stated elsewhere, I don't think the performances have been terrible. Our final third play is seriously lacking, but we do tend to control games. Norwich was a shambles, as was Chelsea in the cup (and sadly a thrashing too which is the one thing I thought we had cut out completely, we only tend to lose by the odd goal now which shows what a fine line we are walking) and Arsenal was a freak game but an utter disgrace.

We deserved more against Everton, Sunderland, Chelsea (in the league), Stoke and QPR. In my opinion none of those results were reflective of the actual game.

Off course we can judge a new manager from what Redknapp achieved.

We do are allowed to have ambitions of fourth and if not, then ambitions about wholehearted and progressive attempts at getting 4th. So is the chairman.

If people think we should be happy forevermore with 10th-5th, then say so now. Go on and be honest.

But we won't improve year on year, that's impossible. No team does that. And there is every possibility that to go two steps forward, we need to take a step back first.

But we won't improve year on year, that's impossible. No team does that. And there is every possibility that to go two steps forward, we need to take a step back first.

As long as we are not the PL Champions, I can absolutely see no reason at all why the benchmark shouldn't be consistent improvement.

Although our recent period of steady ascent happened to coincide with City's lotto win - one could argue Liverpool's apparent implosion has in many ways offset that

Wasn't really talking about specifics, but yes a team could actually go up the pecking order despite getting worse if those around them decline with a greater degree!

http://atomicsoda.com/tottenham/harry-redknapp-quotes/26-feb-2012

Interesting reading.....

Fri Feb 24

WeÔÇÖve got to come back like we did earlier in the season, said Redknapp. We need to bounce back and recover. We seemed to buckle after they scored, which isnÔÇÖt like us. We donÔÇÖt do that often. ItÔÇÖs going to be tight, but weÔÇÖre in a great position. Daily Telegraph - 11:12 PM

Champions League qualification and finishing the top club in London, they were the most important things for me this year, Redknapp said. Anything above that would be a fantastic bonus.
Guardian - 11:02 PM

That's the most important thing for me this year to be honest, to be the top London club, said Redknapp.
Daily Telegraph - 4:58 PM

You could say that last year was a step back, and this year looks to be following the same pattern, ergo next year we must achieve CL qualification or we are in a downward spiral. Anyway that is all semantics.

We are not a financial heavyweight like some 5 other teams in the league so for every year we are higher than 6th then we are doing better than we should. The new stadium will change the financial landscape for us but until that is revenue producing we have to box clever. The short-cut for us is the massive revenue that the CL generates, along with the increased marketability of the club to sponsors and transfer targets. Whether we like it or not the prize of CL qualification propels us upward in every facet of development and if we miss it this means one more of our rival reap the benefits.

So for the last few years I see 6th as the minimum we should achieve and 3rd, 4th and 5th places as our gold, silver and bronze. When we have the stadium my expectations will be reset.

In fact we must due to the fact so many of his disciples always make reference to his stats in comparison to the dross we've had since the late 80s. 2 ways, please

3,285 posts on the new board, and you have now sunk this low

gotta be honest, I didn't think it was possible

Its not just absolute results though.

Its the way we were cruising in 3rd, 10 points clear of The Unclean, and in a CL place virtually all season, up until February. Everyone was frightened of Spurs and we looked the real deal. At long, long last. Before the NLD at the Death Star, Gooners were soiling their shreddies that they were going to get done over again by us. They were the underdogs at home..... for once! SAF said that Spurs were playing the best football in the league, and he was right. We were a joy to watch. A compliment indeed. Confidence must have been oozing with Spurs, and with the players we have, I cannot see why all that should suddenly, utterly and disastrously execute a complete U-turn. We changed from very, very good, into very, very bad. Very, very quickly.

Why?

At the end of January, we had just finished the transfer window, which, yet again, was unsatisfactory. Garbage incomings and highly questionable outgoings. We were/are weaker after than before the window!!! Not what is needed with a latter-half of season run-in, and to glory.

Shortly after there was the issue of Capello throwing his toys out of the pram, and resigning. He had said he was going to leave after Euro 2012. On the same day, Redknapp is aquitted in court, so that is nicely squared-off. Potential bad publicity/risk later for the FA, goes out of the window, if Redknapp is the new England manager-elect. That new comfort zone is obvious to all, and instantly, Redknapp is everyones total 100% stonewall successor to Capello. An Englishman who is doing very in the Premiership. Nailed on. Quote Lineker on MOTD: "I think there will be a phone call to Harry very shortly". Redknapp basks in the limelight, with interview after interview asking the same question. There is no rebuff of the possibility. Redknapp knows he is in a position of huge strength.

On the pitch, on Monday 6th February, we draw 0-0 at Liverpool, and IIRC, Redknapp was not there. Due to the legal case?

Capello resigned on Thursday February 9th. Ditto Redknapps trial conclusion.

On the pitch: we destroy Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0 on Saturday 11th February and it should have been more. Only 2 days after the initial resignation/trial conclusion. Then things come to a head , very suddenly and quickly, in the week after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game?

Is it here in this week that 'something has happened'? Was Redknapp offered the England job in that week following the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game, with the FA acting quickly post-Saudi Sportswashing Machine thrashing, to 'secure their man', and the players found out? It is from that week that Spurs then dramatically bomb. 0-0 at Stevenage in the FA Cup, February 19th, and then the utter disaster and capitulation of 5-2 at The Emirates on 26th February.

The timing - precisely - of it all, is just far too much of a co-incidence. To suddenly change from brilliance to brick in such a short space of time must mean than some external/internal issue has played its part on team performance and results. We have bombed ever-since.

It is because of all this that I think its the worst Spurs collapse in my 47 years of being a Spurs fan. Are the Gods against us? On top of Lasagne Gate, it does start to look like there is some 'force' against us when we are starting to look like we are finally going places..... just like all of the shocking BIG decisisions against us in games against 'big' sides? Or is football just bent, plain and simple?

And Redknapp isn't responsible at all? Not for Capello's resignation, perhaps, but the rest......???

Last edited:
Its not just absolute results though.

Its the way we were cruising in 3rd, 10 points clear of The Unclean, and in a CL place virtually all season, up until February. Everyone was frightened of Spurs and we looked the real deal. At long, long last. Before the NLD at the Death Star, Gooners were soiling their shreddies that they were going to get done over again by us. They were the underdogs at home..... for once! SAF said that Spurs were playing the best football in the league, and he was right. We were a joy to watch. A compliment indeed. Confidence must have been oozing with Spurs, and with the players we have, I cannot see why all that should suddenly, utterly and disastrously execute a complete U-turn. We changed from very, very good, into very, very bad. Very, very quickly.

Why?

At the end of January, we had just finished the transfer window, which, yet again, was unsatisfactory. Garbage incomings and highly questionable outgoings. We were/are weaker after than before the window!!! Not what is needed with a latter-half of season run-in, and to glory.

Shortly after there was the issue of Capello throwing his toys out of the pram, and resigning. He had said he was going to leave after Euro 2012. On the same day, Redknapp is aquitted in court, so that is nicely squared-off. Potential bad publicity/risk later for the FA, goes out of the window, if Redknapp is the new England manager-elect. That new comfort zone is obvious to all, and instantly, Redknapp is everyones total 100% stonewall successor to Capello. An Englishman who is doing very in the Premiership. Nailed on. Quote Lineker on MOTD: "I think there will be a phone call to Harry very shortly". Redknapp basks in the limelight, with interview after interview asking the same question. There is no rebuff of the possibility. Redknapp knows he is in a position of huge strength.

On the pitch, on Monday 6th February, we draw 0-0 at Liverpool, and IIRC, Redknapp was not there. Due to the legal case?

Capello resigned on Thursday February 9th. Ditto Redknapps trial conclusion.

On the pitch: we destroy Saudi Sportswashing Machine 5-0 on Saturday 11th February and it should have been more. Only 2 days after the initial resignation/trial conclusion. Then things come to a head , very suddenly and quickly, in the week after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game?

Is it here in this week that 'something has happened'? Was Redknapp offered the England job in that week following the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game, with the FA acting quickly post-Saudi Sportswashing Machine thrashing, to 'secure their man', and the players found out? It is from that week that Spurs then dramatically bomb. 0-0 at Stevenage in the FA Cup, February 19th, and then the utter disaster and capitulation of 5-2 at The Emirates on 26th February.

The timing - precisely - of it all, is just far too much of a co-incidence. To suddenly change from brilliance to brick in such a short space of time must mean than some external/internal issue has played its part on team performance and results. We have bombed ever-since.

It is because of all this that I think its the worst Spurs collapse in my 47 years of being a Spurs fan. Are the Gods against us? On top of Lasagne Gate, it does start to look like there is some 'force' against us when we are starting to look like we are finally going places..... just like all of the shocking BIG decisisions against us in games against 'big' sides? Or is football just bent, plain and simple?

And Redknapp isn't responsible at all? Not for Capello's resignation, perhaps, but the rest......???

It's not entirely uncommon for teams to go through it though is it? Not saying external circumstances can't trigger it, but I think it's too easy excuse. Momentum is a funny thing in sport. If we beat Blackburn in style the confidence will literally return over night. I genuinely believe that is how fine a line we are treading.

It's not entirely uncommon for teams to go through it though is it? Not saying external circumstances can't trigger it, but I think it's too easy excuse. Momentum is a funny thing in sport. If we beat Blackburn in style the confidence will literally return over night. I genuinely believe that is how fine a line we are treading.

i thought the same after the Swansea game, i thought that was the turning point. It hasnt turned out that way though

i thought the same after the Swansea game, i thought that was the turning point. It hasnt turned out that way though

Unfortunately I have to agree with IS here. Our 'seachange' has been so huge, I cannot believe that one game/result will now make much of a difference. Especially as we are running out of games.

Blackburn - Home
Bolton - Away
Villa - Away
Fulham - Home

Thats x3 sides fighting relegation, and one colossal banana skin against Jols boys.

I'm not confident.

Luckily, I think Villa are WORSE than us and that is the only game I can potentially see us picking up points. I think Blackburn could beat us at the weekend to be honest

The sooner he goes the better, look at the mess he has left his previous clubs in, problems in the dressing room at all his previous clubs was always going to happen here as well. Unlike some i do not hate him, but he is a chancer and it was always going to end in tears ( it always does) IF he would only once admit to getting things wrong i would have some respect for him, but he never does its always someone or something that is to blame.

Back