• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Glasgow Rangers

Most of that money went to Celtic and Rangers anyway. As long as they were competing in Europe nobody noticed or cared too much about the fact that Scottish football was in the bricker.

hmm....you know what, I think you're right. I did some research into the topic, and apparently the SPL divides its TV income thusly;

1st - 4% + 13% = 17%
2nd - 4% + 11% = 15%
3rd - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%
4th - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%
5th - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%
6th - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%
7th - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%
8th - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%
9th - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%
10th - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%
11th - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%
12th - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

Note the gap between second and third. Considerable. the Old Firm together raked in 32 percent of TV income across the league, or roughly 5.1 million quid a season, leaving the other ten to fight it out for the remaining 10.9 mill.

So yeah, the Old firm did get most of the money. And now that Rangers are gone, the SPL clubs can simply vote to reform the distribution rights, and make it fairer, since the the SPL requires a motion to have 11-1 majority support to pass and the Old Firm kept jointly vetoing the reforms previously.

Hmm...seems there may a bright future for the SPL after all...\o/

Even if the tv companies pay less, a more even distribution model should mean they don't lose as much as some claim.

Even if the tv companies pay less, a more even distribution model should mean they don't lose as much as some claim.

A point well made, sir ,a point well made. Neil Doncaster, Stewart Regan, fall on your swords! The public demands it!

Though I do think it's rather pertinent that the entirety of Scottish football is scrapping furiously over an 80 million pound TV contract when just south of the border, the Premier League TV rights have just gone for 3 billion pounds, and each team will receive an average of 60 million quid each, for each season from 2012-2013 onwards. Rangers and Celtic had global commercial appeal for a lot longer than the likes of United due to the large overseas expatriate/immigrant populations, and yet they wasted it on maximising their own revenue streams while the rest of Scottish football grovelled for the left-overs. Sigh.

I wonder when the last season there wasn't an Old Firm game in Scotland? The answer is very possibly: Never. Barring a cup draw, next season may be the very first time ever. Quite incredible.

I'm also thinking that Rangers will be lucky not to have any of their titles or cups revoked. I don't know if that's on the agenda, but my understanding is that the SFA have yet to act on the affair - everything up to now has been the SPL and Scottish League. I think it's the SFA that might have the say on titles, although I'm not sure.

This whole idea that 'it's not the fans fault'?

So?

Don't we sent people with children to prison even though the kids lose out?

Don't you lose your licence for speeding even though you can lose your job? And your innocent family is affected?

Complete flimflam argument.

lrgscaleIMG_447256GZSTSHIRTGREYMARL-1.jpg

The Rangers fans plan to sit back and enjoy everyone else going bankrupt now.

I'm also thinking that Rangers will be lucky not to have any of their titles or cups revoked. I don't know if that's on the agenda, but my understanding is that the SFA have yet to act on the affair - everything up to now has been the SPL and Scottish League. I think it's the SFA that might have the say on titles, although I'm not sure.

What do you mean by revoked? Rangers FC will certainly stay in the annals as does Third Lanark. New Rangers, however, start with an empty trophy board.

What do you mean by revoked? Rangers FC will certainly stay in the annals as does Third Lanark. New Rangers, however, start with an empty trophy board.

I mean scrubbed from the record books. After all, that can happen for something as minor as fielding ineligible players - and in this instance it seems Rangers were in effect using a whole team of players who were in a sense "ineligible", as in, shouldn't have been on Rangers' books in the first place if they'd been playing fair.

Formation of SPL2 could save Rangers newco from life in Third Division

• Clubs would be offered financial incentives to leave SFL
• Majority of clubs voted against Rangers entering First Division

Scotland's football authorities are to enter a desperate race against time to oversee a league reconstruction model aimed at preventing Rangers from starting next season in the Third Division.

At a meeting of Scottish Football League clubs at Hampden Park on Friday – at which representations were made by the Rangers manager, Ally McCoist, and the chief executive, Charles Green – 25 out of 30 votes rejected the possibility of the team entering Division One. The upshot of that was an announcement that Rangers must enter Scotland's league set-up in the fourth tier; where they are due to face the likes of Peterhead and Annan Athletic.

That would represent a catastrophic fall from grace for a club historically regarded as part of Scotland's establishment and which only recently featured regularly in the Champions League.

Those overseeing the game in Scotland have been vocal – and controversially so – about the need for Rangers to compete more prominently in the professional game than at the bottom rung. Such comments have roused anger amongst supporters; Rangers entered administration in February and are now in the process of being liquidated, hence a "newco" business has been formed.

Stewart Regan, the Scottish Football Association's chief executive, said last week: "There's really only one decision for the game now – that Rangers come into football in the First Division."

Regan had estimated a potential loss of £16m and impending disaster for Scottish football if Rangers competed in Division Three. Nonetheless, his organisation is yet to grant Rangers membership of the association.

Neil Doncaster, the chief executive of the Scottish Premier League, even made several public pitches aimed at readmitting Rangers into the top-flight. That notion was rejected by member clubs, much to the general delight of supporters.

The SPL is due to meet on Monday, when the concept of an "SPL2" is set to be discussed. Under that plan, Rangers would be invited to join with other clubs offered financial incentives to leave the SFL and take part in a new setup. The rejection by SFL chairmen of the First Division proposal, nonetheless, highlights the scale of such a task.

SPL clubs have a serious fear about the potential loss of commercial contracts – notably key broadcast agreements – if Rangers are not part of their set-up. A four-year television deal between the league and both Sky and ESPN, due to start at the beginning of next season, remains unsigned. Sky is yet to clarify its position but a critical component of earlier arrangements has been its screening of four Old Firm matches per season.

One SPL club, Inverness, spoke out about its fears. "There will now inevitably be serious consequences for the game in Scotland," said their chairman, Kenny Cameron. "We have all, as clubs, accepted the views of our stakeholders in making the initial judgement to uphold sporting integrity.

"All clubs will now have to live with the repercussions of this decision. Scottish football was at a crossroads today in terms of what was on the table for all clubs regarding reorganisation, financial distribution and a road map that would have taken the game forward.

"But this has now been thrown into disarray by this decision. This is a sad day for all clubs in Scotland. We will be convening an emergency board meeting over the weekend to discuss the very serious financial implications for us as a club going forward."

A Rangers statement, issued in the immediate aftermath of the SFL announcement, claimed Regan and Doncaster "will introduce a plan for SPL 2 – which would include Rangers – and invite existing Division One members to join."

Intriguingly, the club swiftly amended those words to state an SPL2 "was mooted last week" when it was suggested that it could "swing into action in the event of today's outcome but it is not known if this will be the case".

Given that Rangers are perfectly aware of the precarious financial position of so many SPL clubs, their public utterances must be placed in context. Green said: "From the outset, we made clear we would play where we were told to play and we just want to get back to playing football.

"This decision maintains the sporting integrity that clubs and fans across Scotland have been calling for but it also impacts massively on Scottish football as a whole and only time will tell what the consequences will be.

"Rangers have been handed the ultimate punishment of starting again from the bottom of the leagues but there is an overwhelming feeling among fans and within the club of 'wiping the slate clean' as a club free of sanctions."

McCoist added: "I fully accept the decision of the SFL today and thank them for allowing us into the SFL. Clearly, starting again from the bottom league is not ideal and makes the task of rebuilding Rangers a longer one but the SFL was placed in an impossible situation and I respect its decision."

David Longmuir, the chief executive of the SFL, said: "I'm comfortable today that the Scottish Football League made a very, very decisive decision that was based on sporting fairness and I think the Scottish Football League were in the right place to make that decision.

"Today's decision has been one of the most difficult for all concerned but it has been taken in the best interest of sporting fairness which is the fundamental principle of the Scottish Football League."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/13/rangers-scottish-third-division

The Scottish third division will have two UEFA 5 star rated stadiums this season. The SPL none.

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
The SFA has been asked to provide information by FIFA about why former Rangers players have been blocked from moving.

The reason being that the SFA and SPL are desperate for their cash cow to carry on as if nothing happened.

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports
The SFA has been asked to provide information by FIFA about why former Rangers players have been blocked from moving.

The reason being that the SFA and SPL are desperate for their cash cow to carry on as if nothing happened.

I was just about to ask why the fudge are the SFA and SPL going against all the other clubs by doing the right thing and forcing Rangers out of the leagues altogether and starting from the bottom like anyone else

Back