• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Would be an interesting analogy to something the Boston Red Sox (baseball) did at the trade deadline in the middle of the 2004 season. After failing to advance beyond the playoffs for several years and being perennial runners-up, they were involved in a four-team deadline-day trade for their all-star captain and "face of the franchise" Nomar Garciaparra, who had spent his entire eight-year career with the Sox up to that point. In the trade, the Sox received in return two journeymen players, Orlando Cabrera and Doug Mientkiewicz, who were not star players but were solid defensively and upgraded some weaknesses. In the words of their GM, Theo Epstein, “We lost a great player in Nomar Garciaparra, but we’ve made our club more functional,” Epstein said. “We weren’t going to win a World Series with our defense.”

Lo and behold, the Sox went on that year to win their first World Series in 86 years.

Just to get the story straight Doug Mientkiewicz was not a journeyman. He had spent all his time in the pros with the Twins before he ended up in Boston.

Just to get the story straight Doug Mientkiewicz was not a journeyman. He had spent all his time in the pros with the Twins before he ended up in Boston.

In my defense, my intended usage was "an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful." (per Merriam-Webster)

BSON77yCUAAjKvJ.jpg

How many times has he been "defo off" this summer?
Won't believe it until we hear something from the club.

Every day they're rehashing this story, hoping that this is the day it will come true. That has nothing to do with journalism or reporting news.

Every day they're rehashing this story, hoping that this is the day it will come true. That has nothing to do with journalism or reporting news.

I think that it is looking more likely that he is off though, the rumours have been pretty consistent for the last few days and our transfer targets and the money we are spending do suggest that we are preparing for life without him.

I think that it is looking more likely that he is off though, the rumours have been pretty consistent for the last few days and our transfer targets and the money we are spending do suggest that we are preparing for life without him.

Agree. I just can't see us spending all this money AND keeping Bale, especially with FFP coming in. We're getting an unbelievable amount of money. Almost twice the money Falcao went for, it's arguable whether he's even better than Falcao. I'm inclined to agree with DHSF, why keep a player who doesn't want to be here anymore? I'm not really for begging players who don't want to be here to stay. And we are pulling Madrid's pants down in the process of selling Bale.

Every day we see a new number reported as the agreed fee. Where are they getting this from? Are we supposed to believe that the two clubs have been in constant negotiations all summer, every day agreeing a new fee, only for one of the parties to change their mind the following day?

Certain Rupert Murdoch-owned media have been saying announcement imminent for at least two months now.

Agree. I just can't see us spending all this money AND keeping Bale, especially with FFP coming in. We're getting an unbelievable amount of money. Almost twice the money Falcao went for, it's arguable whether he's even better than Falcao. I'm inclined to agree with DHSF, why keep a player who doesn't want to be here anymore? I'm not really for begging players who don't want to be here to stay. And we are pulling Madrid's pants down in the process of selling Bale.

Agreed. We're rumoured to be getting over 50% above what I would consider to be Bale's true market value. Part of that is because of the appalling way that RM have approached this but Levy also deserves a lot of credit for the way he has handled a really difficult situation.

Every day we see a new number reported as the agreed fee. Where are they getting this from? Are we supposed to believe that the two clubs have been in constant negotiations all summer, every day agreeing a new fee, only for one of the parties to change their mind the following day?

I suspect that all three parties (or their agents) have released information and/or briefed friendly journalists at stages of the summer.

I think that the story has stabilised since the weekend and I think our transfer activity backs this up.

Haha, seriously, 93 mill Euros + Coentrao? That's insane. Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue, Chadli, Lamela, Willian, Coentrao - what the **** is going on?! I'm sorry, but I'd take that bunch of players in a swap for Bale any day of the week. Completely insane transfer window if all of this happens. I don't quite believe it just yet, though.

There was a believable report that Baldini had a meeting in Madrid with Lamela's agent and agreed personal terms.

If someone posts a pic of Baldini elsewhere I will disbelieve it but it is looking like GB gone to me.

There was a believable report that Baldini had a meeting in Madrid with Lamela's agent and agreed personal terms.

If someone posts a pic of Baldini elsewhere I will disbelieve it but it is looking like GB gone to me.

What made it believable?

TBH I don't rate Coentrao much higher than ABE, would rather we tried to work a CB into the deal instead. Would be ecstatic if we could get Varane

Back