• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

Are you being serious ??
Yep. Read the start of this thread and remember where we were before and where we will be after.

Most of our players of international calibre are technically flawed and so what he has managed to do with them is impressive.

Look at Kyle Walker. He cannot pass the ball in the mid range. He and pickford have given the ball away constantly - Pickford has some excuse as he often has little option but to lump it, and we do not have central midfielders who can penetrate the lines.

We are told it is not Gareth’s instruction to play deep and drop off when we take a lead.

So yeah, give him some better players and watch where the solid mentality takes us.

We have seen big name managers do absolutely nothing with England despite superior squads.

Yep. Read the start of this thread and remember where we were before and where we will be after.

Most of our players of international calibre are technically flawed and so what he has managed to do with them is impressive.

Look at Kyle Walker. He cannot pass the ball in the mid range. He and pickford have given the ball away constantly - Pickford has some excuse as he often has little option but to lump it, and we do not have central midfielders who can penetrate the lines.

We are told it is not Gareth’s instruction to play deep and drop off when we take a lead.

So yeah, give him some better players and watch where the solid mentality takes us.

We have seen big name managers do absolutely nothing with England despite superior squads.

I think our upturn in results in recent tournaments has also coincided with the likes of Germany, Italy, Spain etc being at low ebbs. You still have to beat what is in front of you but we’ve been helped with some favourable draws in tournaments. What I would say is Southgate has made the team more likeable, we’re much better at penalties and we are fairly solid at the back despite not being blessed with world class defenders. The football is still poor to watch though, it’s fine if you win but it’s akin to watch us under Jose, you’ll put up with it if we win but it’s pretty crap to watch your team show no intent and be generally poor on the ball and be dull to watch AND lose matches.

They play high up the pitch, Bellingham and Foden both excel playing number 10.

Saka and Watkins are better than most of the offerings the other top countries have. Thuram is bloody awful! Dembele has flattered to deceive his entire career. Holland have average forwards, not one decent one. Spain have some good players but their striker is Morata who isn’t world class. Can’t believe you’ve mentioned Vassell and Crouch and think they are better than what we have now.

The discussion was comparing England striker options to the past, not other teams now.

Kane aside, England are in a low period imo.

There have been embarrassments of riches in the past, there were tournaments where players like Defoe and Wright didn’t even make the squad.

The discussion was comparing England striker options to the past, not other teams now.

Kane aside, England are in a low period imo.

There have been embarrassments of riches in the past, there were tournaments where players like Defoe and Wright didn’t even make the squad.

Toney’s record in the PL is far superior to donkeys like Vassell. Crouch was never prolific at club level either. Defoe was an ok finisher but his overall game wasn’t. Watkins record in the PL isn’t too dissimilar to Defoe’s. We were blessed with top strikers in the 90s I will give you that. I think the Difference is we were genuinely unlucky in euro 96 and France 98.

Watkins and Toney have been around 5 mins.

Right now they are in the same envelope as James Beattie, Marcus Stuart and Michael Ricketts.

Crouch and Vassell did it for years.

Watkins and Toney have been around 5 mins.

Right now they are in the same envelope as James Beattie, Marcus Stuart and Michael Ricketts.

Crouch and Vassell did it for years.

Did what for years? Have poor goalscoring records? Vassell scored 10 league goals once in his PL career! Did Crouch ever score 10 or more league goals in a season?

Last edited:
Would you prefer Lampard or Rooney?

Doesn’t have to be an Englishman. But if it did, we could do a lot worse with someone like Graham Potter, we’d be a lot more progressive and better to watch. If we win the euros then I’ll be the first to congratulate Southgate I’m not anti Southgate I just don’t enjoy the football he serves up and I think in this tournament he’s got lucky in some of the games and we’ve had a generous draw.

Doesn’t have to be an Englishman. But if it did, we could do a lot worse with someone like Graham Potter, we’d be a lot more progressive and better to watch. If we win the euros then I’ll be the first to congratulate Southgate I’m not anti Southgate I just don’t enjoy the football he serves up and I think in this tournament he’s got lucky in some of the games and we’ve had a generous draw.
We are always lucky until we play a good side
Then we’re unlucky
I think Southgate is horrendous as a football manager. He has done well at some of the off the pitch stuff

We are always lucky until we play a good side
Then we’re unlucky
I think Southgate is horrendous as a football manager. He has done well at some of the off the pitch stuff

Yeah he’s done some good things and he’s not a terrible manager but he’s far from a top manager and my issue with him is more stylistically rather than results.

I think he should leave the job for his own good.

Whatever happens in the next week, he’s done a fantastic job and outperformed his predecessors and reasonable expectations.

I don’t think many people can argue with his results, his worst result in a tournament is a quarter final. I just think he’s been presented with some great opportunities i.e. top teams getting knocked out, easy draws in tournaments and we’ve turned up in the finals and semi finals and he’s played negative, defensive football when we could have had a go or tried to finish teams off rather than sitting back as soon as we tack the lead. We’ve not been blessed with good defenders during his time, especially at CB, the strength of the team has been in attack.

Does potter bring with him better players?

Back