• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

I've come to realize that the experience of watching football is mostly a disappointing one. We complain 90% of the time. Few teams are really fun to watch. Even an objectively fun team to watch, like say Emirates Marketing Project, will still have a host of boring games.

Yet we complain and we complain. Maybe we just expect too much of football. It's mostly boring.

You need 2 teams trying to win to get an exciting game, unfortunately that rarely happens at any level in the professional game.

You need 2 teams trying to win to get an exciting game, unfortunately that rarely happens at any level in the professional game.

I wouldn't phrase it like that.

I think it happens in most games, but sometimes the most likely path to winning is not being the team that makes the mistake.

If you have a team that wants to push on after going 1-0 up. That's when you get an exciting game (especially in cups). Or if you get a small team that doesn't expect to win and just think lets give it our all, we have nothing to lose.

Us 94. Jack charlton got crates of beer for the boys on the coach from the airport. Said, nobody is expecting anything from us. Just enjoy it.

I wouldn't phrase it like that.

I think it happens in most games, but sometimes the most likely path to winning is not being the team that makes the mistake.

It's a generational thing, when I started watching the worse team in the league would try to outscore the rest in their games, now 75% of teams play not to lose, great viewing for the technical experts but as a form of entertainment its crap.

It's a generational thing, when I started watching the worse team in the league would try to outscore the rest in their games, now 75% of teams play not to lose, great viewing for the technical experts but as a form of entertainment its crap.

It's the tempo that does me. England rolling the ball about. Then go 1-0 down and start to pass the ball with pace. They didn't even have to run much more. Just quicker passing.

Last edited:
It's the tempo that does me. England rolling the ball about. Then go 1-0 down and start to pass the ball with pace. They didn't even have to run much more. Just quicker passing.

How many times have we seen England go out of tournaments clearly knackered?

England have had much better sides than this in my lifetime, with managers with higher reputations, but Southgate keeps getting them into the last 4.

you ever seen basketball, or rugby?

high scoring games can be crap entertainment too

It's the tempo that does me. England rolling the ball about. Then go 1-0 down and start to pace the ball with pace. They didn't even have to run much more. Just quicker passing.

As I've written many times England have this unique style of play based on passing negative 5 yard passes to stationary team mates and a formation with at least 1 midfielder being within touching distance of 1 of our centrebacks and an their opponent. Is it fear, playing to instruction or just poor players?

As I've written many times England have this unique style of play based on passing negative 5 yard passes to stationary team mates and a formation with at least 1 midfielder being within touching distance of 1 of our centrebacks and an their opponent. Is it fear, playing to instruction or just poor players?

I think probably all three

England have had much better sides than this in my lifetime, with managers with higher reputations, but Southgate keeps getting them into the last 4.

Erickson and capello played the same.

You think robson and venebles teams couldn't beat slovakia or slovenia?

I litterally said they didn't have to run more. Just move the ball quicker. At times.

Hopefully Southgate has his ticket to take us to the World Cup.

I don’t like the style of play but I can accept it is effective.

you ever seen basketball, or rugby?

high scoring games can be crap entertainment too

I've not seen many high scoring rugby game that are not entertaining, I find basketball, tennis and golf boring to watch but fun to play. I'm not watching sport as a pundit ready to pounch on any mistake, I think mistakes make the game more exciting, a game with no errors and opponents determined to simply blot out each other is too sterile for me, but I've always been prepared to accept losing if you're trying to win. Look how much people dislike the way Southgate gets England playing, the only good thing is the result, I'd rather watch Antique Road Show for excitement.

I think the opposite. We’ve not had the calibre of forwards at the same time that we have now. Granted this team has flaws but every team does. I also think a lot of the top teams aren’t as good as they used to be and are at a pretty low ebb; I know Italy won the last euros but they’ve lost big personalities and they’ve not qualified for the last 2 world cups, Germany aren’t what they were 10 years ago, Brazil haven’t been a top team in decades, Holland have had a good run but they’re also not as good as they used to be. Spain look very promising but clearly not the side that won 3 consecutive tournaments. So I think it’s a combination of some nations declining and us being more effective in tournaments. Also think the smaller nations like Georgia and Slovakia have caught up and narrowed the gap to the big boys.

I think the opposite. We’ve not had the calibre of forwards at the same time that we have now. Granted this team has flaws but every team does. I also think a lot of the top teams aren’t as good as they used to be and are at a pretty low ebb; I know Italy won the last euros but they’ve lost big personalities and they’ve not qualified for the last 2 world cups, Germany aren’t what they were 10 years ago, Brazil haven’t been a top team in decades, Holland have had a good run but they’re also not as good as they used to be. Spain look very promising but clearly not the side that won 3 consecutive tournaments. So I think it’s a combination of some nations declining and us being more effective in tournaments. Also think the smaller nations like Georgia and Slovakia have caught up and narrowed the gap to the big boys.

Kane is Englands best ever player, but who else is there in the forward pool now?

It’s not that long ago we had Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Wright, Lineker, Beardsley et al.

Even the likes of Crouch and Vassell would walk into this squad.

England also don’t have a midfield.

Kane is Englands best ever player, but who else is there in the forward pool now?

It’s not that long ago we had Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Wright, Lineker, Beardsley et al.

Even the likes of Crouch and Vassell would walk into this squad.

England also don’t have a midfield.

Why do you have to always go to such extremes? Kane England’s best player ever? Above players that have actually won things for us? I can’t take you seriously when you mention Vassell and Crouch alongside the likes of Saka, Foden and Bellingham who just won La Liga player of the year in his first season. Foden was one of Emirates Marketing Project’s most important players whilst KDB was injured for half the season.

Why do you have to always go to such extremes? Kane England’s best player ever? Above players that have actually won things for us? I can’t take you seriously when you mention Vassell and Crouch alongside the likes of Saka, Foden and Bellingham who just won La Liga player of the year in his first season. Foden was one of Emirates Marketing Project’s most important players whilst KDB was injured for half the season.

Foden and Bellingham are not forwards.

I don’t rate Saka or Watkins.

Foden and Bellingham are not forwards.

I don’t rate Saka or Watkins.

They play high up the pitch, Bellingham and Foden both excel playing number 10.

Saka and Watkins are better than most of the offerings the other top countries have. Thuram is bloody awful! Dembele has flattered to deceive his entire career. Holland have average forwards, not one decent one. Spain have some good players but their striker is Morata who isn’t world class. Can’t believe you’ve mentioned Vassell and Crouch and think they are better than what we have now.

Back