• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

So? Dier holding meant that Mason had licence to dictate the play and make various forward runs in the knowledge Dier was covering. Dier and Mason were our two best players, but that couldn't be because they complimented each other could it? Just a coincidence I'm sure....

Indeed, having Dier to protect the back four ( which imo was left unprotected on too many occasions last season) has allowed Mason to play to his strengths and has to be the way to go for the future.

Not only has playing Dier there made us stronger at the back it has enabled Mason to do something we also failed to do last season, the freedom to get runners into the opponents box.

This is what I was going to say.... bizarre criticism. He was immense today and you've to have a weird agenda to think otherwise. It was an objectively good performance. I personally like having this anchor, it also freed up Mason more to attack rather than two players sort of doing both, which was horrible to see defensively and creatively last season.

Could not agree more.

Indeed, having Dier to protect the back four ( which imo was left unprotected on too many occasions last season) has allowed Mason to play to his strengths and has to be the way to go for the future.

Not only has playing Dier there made us stronger at the back it has enabled Mason to do something we also failed to do last season, the freedom to get runners into the opponents box.
Which poses a very interesting question - where does this leave Bentaleb? I have always rated Mason, but thought Bentaleb to be the better/more talented player. However if we are going forward using a DM, then I'd suggest Mason is better suited next to him - not least because he is more of a goal threat....

Which poses a very interesting question - where does this leave Bentaleb? I have always rated Mason, but thought Bentaleb to be the better/more talented player. However if we are going forward using a DM, then I'd suggest Mason is better suited next to him - not least because he is more of a goal threat....
That was something I was wondering about too. But it's a good dilemma to have!

veljovic is the obvious natural one but we don't know how he is viewed by Poch

Bentelab will get games and I'm sure will fight hard to win his place back

Give me young hungry players any day of the week who want it...

My personal opinion is that some are going OTT on his performances in the role so far. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Dier fan and he has had some good games in the role, but I don't think he is or will be the long term answer there.

I think he has played very well against Everton and was v solid yesterday. However I thought the game passed him by a little first 25mins before he began to impose himself. Against Stoke he was decent although not brilliant (same story as Leicester) and against United he held his own until he tired.

I think he looks accomplished but has looked a little immobile over short distances and in several games he looks to have hit a brick wall at around the 65min mark. However he has been improving and some of the issues could be put down to him learning the position and getting fitter.

For me he still looks a little immobile and once I have seen how he copes against teams like Arsenal, untied, City then I will judge. Those teams forward players could show his faults up and pass it around him. I think he's going to be a top player but to me he looks a flat out centre half who will play for England in that position.

My personal opinion is that some are going OTT on his performances in the role so far. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Dier fan and he has had some good games in the role, but I don't think he is or will be the long term answer there.

I think he has played very well against Everton and was v solid yesterday. However I thought the game passed him by a little first 25mins before he began to impose himself. Against Stoke he was decent although not brilliant (same story as Leicester) and against United he held his own until he tired.

I think he looks accomplished but has looked a little immobile over short distances and in several games he looks to have hit a brick wall at around the 65min mark. However he has been improving and some of the issues could be put down to him learning the position and getting fitter.

For me he still looks a little immobile and once I have seen how he copes against teams like Ar5ena1, untied, City then I will judge. Those teams forward players could show his faults up and pass it around him. I think he's going to be a top player but to me he looks a flat out centre half who will play for England in that position.

I think time will tell what his best position is. The fact that you think his pace over short distances is questionable may not hold him in the best stead playing from the back.

I actually think he has been impressive and has shown that he may excel in the dm role. He shows awareness and drive which helps and i think with a little guidance and experience he can make the position his own.

People gong ott, it's what fans do

For me Mason was always the better player compared to Bentaleb. I think he has just as much potential as Nabil too, though both of them have much room for improvement still

It is a good question but for me you can never have to many good players, its up to Bentalab to improve his game ( which imo he needs to do). At the moment Dier ( who has been our best player so far this season) and Mason should be left as our starting pair.

If leaving him out makes us better then so be it. Same goes for every player. He could use a spell out of the side, get back that hunger to prove himself.

_85538566_garth.png

MIDFIELDER - Eric Dier (Tottenham)
_85526665_dier.jpg

In a central midfield berth, Eric Dier made a joint-league-high eight tackles at the weekend and an outright-high four blocks

Playing in front of the back four as a midfield holding player for Tottenham, Eric Dier was as enthusiastic as it gets. I have, after all, seen him play at full-back and centre-back and cope admirably but I never thought he had the ability to play consistently in a more forward position where one's influence on the game is often more pronounced.

His impact for Spurs against Sunderland was impressive and his change is proving to be an inspired move by manager Mauricio Pochettino.

MIDFIELDER - Ryan Mason (Tottenham)
_85526354_ryan_mason_getty.jpg

Ryan Mason recorded the most successful passes against Sunderland, 16 more than any other Spurs player (56)

I have already mentioned Eric Dier but the relationship between him and Ryan Mason could become a very important dynamic for Spurs this season. Mason is becoming more relevant for Tottenham as the season wears on but what impressed me most about his performance against Sunderland was his desire.

His touch that took him goalbound was a little heavy but Mason still risked injury in order to clip the ball over the advancing Costel Pantilimon. Nice to see a midfield player going in where it hurts to score goals.

what we need is competition and bentaleb will just have to become better than dier or mason to get back into the starting eleven. sorry !

what we need is competition and bentaleb will just have to become better than dier or mason to get back into the starting eleven. sorry !

Considering that CM was a lot of people's no.1 priority in the summer transfer window this is a funny turn of events - possibly our best CM last season having to earn his place back in to the team and we didn't even sign anyone! Points towards some good work on the training field over pre season...

What was the aftermath of the injury that he appeared to pick up on Thursday? Was it nothing really, just a minor knock?

Back