• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

The only problem is getting the smaller clubs in the prem to go for it. When it comes in it could be any of 13 clubs getting relegated and missing out on the payments. But the white paper has said, you sort it or we will. Pity simon jordan isn't on talksport today, would like to hear his take.

Yeh thats true TBH, will be interesting to see how this plays

I would agree about European money, but can understand why clubs would be against it as they would see this as a reward for their success. Being in European competitions enhances any clubs profile and boost revenue in other areas. We along with other clubs suffered badly when the "Sky 4" continually qualified and their revenue kept them far ahead of the pack.

The cl is the main reason we have the mega clubs today. Byern winning the bundesliga for a decade. Olympiakos winning their league every year for 20 years. If i had my way half the tv money would be distributed.

Yes clubs may not want it but that's where the threat of the regulator comes in.

The cl is the main reason we have the mega clubs today. Byern winning the bundesliga for a decade. Olympiakos winning their league every year for 20 years. If i had my way half the tv money would be distributed.

Yes clubs may not want it but that's where the threat of the regulator comes in.

It certainly created an inbalance in domestic leagues and although it would be seen as penalty for success it would help create a more even playing field.

I think thats a decent idea as it hits more clubs than those that manage to make the promised land of the PL and then get parachute payments.
I'm not convinced. If there aren't parachute payments then teams getting promoted cannot add a significant enough amount to their budgets to have a chance of bringing in players who could help them stay up. I think this new proposal would perhaps see a greater number of different teams making it to the PL. However I think it would reduce the chances of any of those teams remaining in the Premier League.

I'm not convinced. If there aren't parachute payments then teams getting promoted cannot add a significant enough amount to their budgets to have a chance of bringing in players who could help them stay up. I think this new proposal would perhaps see a greater number of different teams making it to the PL. However I think it would reduce the chances of any of those teams remaining in the Premier League.

You only get payments when you go down not when you go up, I would imagine the money for going up stays pretty much the same (less the proposed EFL fee) which with the increase in TV and competition money thats the money you can spend to stay up. If clubs are overspending with the idea they get a parachute if they go down....thats half the problem they want to stop

This does look like a stabilising set of rules.

Fewer moonshots from ambitious but short sighted owners.

But as lilbaz said this might result in making the premier league staler in the long term in the sense that a bigger core of clubs will become harder to budge.

So they’ll need to keep a close eye on this.

I think on the whole a good thing for community clubs, the pyramid and for that ‘FA cup’ sense of connectivity of the game top to bottom.

The proposal is coming from the efl though. So they are the clubs that are happy with it.

You only get payments when you go down not when you go up, I would imagine the money for going up stays pretty much the same (less the proposed EFL fee) which with the increase in TV and competition money thats the money you can spend to stay up. If clubs are overspending with the idea they get a parachute if they go down....thats half the problem they want to stop
Yes but when a team goes up they can add players to their squad to try to stay up in the knowledge that they have a parachute payment if they go down. Take away that parachute payment and clubs going up will not be able to sufficiently add to their squad to try to stay up without the possibility of going under the following season if they go down and do not receive a parachute payment.

I suspect this new implementation may well end up creating 15 or 16 ever presents in the Premier League and about a dozen clubs who regularly spend a year in the PL and then get relegated. I think we may well end up seeing some teams coming up and getting record low points totals in the PL, as the most sensible thing to do under these rules would be to come up, spend nothing at all, keep the Championship budget and just bank the money for being in the PL for one single season.

Last edited:
The proposal is coming from the efl though. So they are the clubs that are happy with it.
I would imagine most clubs in the EFL would be happy with it. Many know that they are too small to ever be likely to become a PL team, even for a season. I would've thought the clubs with higher ambitions would be against it.

I would imagine most clubs in the EFL would be happy with it. Many know that they are too small to ever be likely to become a PL team, even for a season. I would've thought the clubs with higher ambitions would be against it.

They are too small because they haven't had the benefit of premier league money and parachute payments. This will give them more of a chance to one day get in the prem. Which for me is a good thing.

Yes but when a team goes up they can add players to their squad to try to stay up in the knowledge that they have a parachute payment if they go down. Take away that parachute payment and clubs going up will not be able to sufficiently add to their squad to try to stay up without the possibility of going under the following season if they go down and do not receive a parachute payment.

I suspect this new implementation may well end up creating 15 or 16 ever presents in the Premier League and about a dozen clubs who regularly spend a year in the PL and then get relegated. I think we may well end up seeing some teams coming up and getting record low points totals in the PL, as the most sensible thing to do under these rules would be to come up, spend nothing at all, keep the Championship budget and just bank the money for being in the PL for one single season.

The EFL proposes a 75-25 split of pooled broadcast revenues between the Premier League and EFL, an end to parachute payments and a merit-based payment system at a ratio of two to one in the Premier League and the Championship. Currently, the Premier League’s top team gets 1.6 times more in merit-based payments than the team at the bottom of the league.

The EFL said under the current system of central receipt distribution in 2018-19, there was an £88million gap between the top flight’s bottom club Huddersfield and the Championship’s top side Norwich – £96m compared to £8m. Under its proposed model, that gap would be cut to £42million.

https://www.halesowennews.co.uk/spo...l-finances-also-suit-top-flight---rick-parry/

They are too small because they haven't had the benefit of premier league money and parachute payments. This will give them more of a chance to one day get in the prem. Which for me is a good thing.
Not really, many are simply small clubs from small towns or other clubs from Cities that have one of more traditional big clubs. For every Bolton there's a Burton Albion. For every Sheffield Wednesday there's a Sutton United. For every Derby County there's a Dagenham and Redbridge. For every Hull City there's a Halifax Town.

Not really, many are simply small clubs from small towns or other clubs from Cities that have one of more traditional big clubs. For every Bolton there's a Burton Albion. For every Sheffield Wednesday there's a Sutton United. For every Derby County there's a Dagenham and Redbridge. For every Hull City there's a Halifax Town.

Yes there will always be bigger clubs than others. But this will cut the current difference of 10 to1 (with parachute payments) of money allocated in the championship to 2 to 1.

For the prem yes it increases from 1.6 to 1 to 2 to 1. But with a spending cap of 70% of turnover that will cut the gap. As it will in the efl. Although i'd want operating costs included.

Last edited:
Yes there will always be bigger clubs than others. But this will cut the current difference of 10 to1 (with parachute payments) of money allocated in the championship to 2 to 1.

For the prem yes it increases from 1.6 to 1 to 2 to 1. But with a spending cap of 70% of turnover that will cut the gap. As it will in the efl. Although i'd want operating costs included.
I think we'll likely see a bigger variety of clubs coming up to the PL. However I think we'll see the likelihood of them being able to stay up reducing even further. Not sure whether that is good or bad really.

Worryingly that could work for some teams
Clear up the championship but fail in the prem
Would tinkle their fans off though

I think we'll likely see a bigger variety of clubs coming up to the PL. However I think we'll see the likelihood of them being able to stay up reducing even further. Not sure whether that is good or bad really.

But the idea is that should a Sheffield United come up they could spend on a par with Everton who would not be able to spend the 400m over two seasons they have now, that on its own is a equaliser as is footballs greatest leveller which is any clubs ability to implode at anytime which happens now regardless of financial muscle

As I have said, clubs get money to come up, not sure why they should get more for going down, if the league has to give clubs 45m or whatever the payment is currently for them to survive then that just shows the boom or bust nature of the sport is broken and we shouldn't keep having to plug the gaps or encourage clubs to spend above their means

Back