• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

For me it was always frustrating because he was criticised for being what he wasn't. If you wanted a solid dependable RB, excellent at 1v1 defending then he was your man but the fan base didn't want that. They wanted a flying wingback which rather unfairly he was never bought for in the first place, so many forget he was bought when we were playing an orthodox flat back 4 under Nuno.
Yep that is a good summing up. It was not so much the abuse on forums that was the problem [ as we know that happens a lot] but it was at games wHere macarons in the crowd gave him awful stick.

For me it was always frustrating because he was criticised for being what he wasn't. If you wanted a solid dependable RB, excellent at 1v1 defending then he was your man but the fan base didn't want that. They wanted a flying wingback which rather unfairly he was never bought for in the first place, so many forget he was bought when we were playing an orthodox flat back 4 under Nuno.

Some of the fan base. Many just see black or white (not skin colour). You're either world class or brick. No inbetween.

Can be ruthless. No patience or don't understand that they have attributes but may not fit in the current system.

Dof is important to link coaching style to players we buy. Fans have to adjust the mentality from club purchase being a bad thing to a good thing. Rather than using it as a stick to beat levy with.

We need to start shifting players. Some of the squad are already in pre season training. Our first friendly is in just over 3 weeks time. Lange/paratici, time to get deals done.
Lo Celso, Hojbjerg and Regulion are the more concerning ones - the older, higher wage ones that dont seem to be attracting interest

I don’t think Conte helped himself by being so loyal to Royal. He wanted full backs who got forward and had end product which isn’t Royal’s game. As you say, he’s a solid full back defensively.

Back