• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

EFL Cup 2016/17 - 4th Round: Liverpool (A)

fudge. I would have liked an easier draw so we could send out a similar team to tonight. That draw has probably robbed some of the young'uns of minutes on the pitch now.

Why? They have nothing else to play for

Spot on. With no European football every other midweek, they will field an almost full-strength team, whereas I can see us playing a slightly stronger team than tonight, but not much.
Vorm and both full-backs will play. Might see one of the CBs sacrificed and maybe Wanyama for in for Winks or Carroll.

I'm not convinced Trippier will play against them. I could see Poch using Dier, if he wants to rest Walker.

maybe something like:

------------vorm
dier----toby---wimmer---davies
--------wanyama---eriksen
---lamela----onomah----gkn
-----------janssen

Winks, Carroll, CCV, Trippier among the subs.

That lineup still rests Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vert, Dembele, Son, Sissoko, Alli.

IMO, there's no point sending a team of kids to get smashed 4-0. They won't get anything out of that.

Looking forward to the tie tbh. Hoping it is reasonably strong 11 with a mixed bench to give the young-uns a bit of experience even if it is from the sidelines. Will be nice to go up there and see a cup tie under the lights with two teams having a proper go and playing at a high tempo. Tie of the round imo although the tabloids will no doubt write more Pep-Mourinho crap to try and spice up that over tactical borefest.

What's people's problem with Trippier? He's more than capable of playing against Liverpool.

I don't think he is best used in a game where we will have a lot of defending to do against one of the top attacking teams in the country, he isn't a reliable defender imo. I'd rather use Trippier in games where we are at home against a weaker side, where we will be on the front foot and he can spend most of the game attacking, with only a bit of defending to do. He's a good attacking full-back but only average defensively, imo.

Why does anything have to be turned into a problem on this forum? It's just an opinion on a tactical option, it doesn't mean I hate Trippier or think he's terrible at football.

I don't think he is best used in a game where we will have a lot of defending to do against one of the top attacking teams in the country, he isn't a reliable defender imo. I'd rather use Trippier in games where we are at home against a weaker side, where we will be on the front foot and he can spend most of the game attacking, with only a bit of defending to do. He's a good attacking full-back but only average defensively, imo.

Why does anything have to be turned into a problem on this forum? It's just an opinion on a tactical option, it doesn't mean I hate Trippier or think he's terrible at football.

I just found it a bit like....he's not an academy player, he's a senior player with a bunch of PL experience. The idea that he isn't of the required standard to play a cup game to me is just extreme. Walker is clear first choice but if we couldn't trust Trippier to play in the cup then he shouldn't be at the club.

I just found it a bit like....he's not an academy player, he's a senior player with a bunch of PL experience. The idea that he isn't of the required standard to play a cup game to me is just extreme. Walker is clear first choice but if we couldn't trust Trippier to play in the cup then he shouldn't be at the club.

To be honest, I think we'd even be better off playing Trippier in the league game at Bournemouth, because our away cup games v Leverkusen and Liverpool sandwich that game, and Walker would be a better option for those tough away trips.

Really hope we play our strong team against Liverpool and beat them for once !

Even if that makes it less likely that we pick up more points in the games before and after? WBA home, Leverkusen away, Bournemouth away, Liverpool away, Leicester home, Leverkusen away, Arsenal away is our run of fixtures at that time. No midweek off after the international break until after the Arsenal game (at the earliest, not sure when the next LC game is).

For me some smart rotation is in order. And the LC remains the lowest priority for me.

Back