• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

....which means he isn't suited for angeball :)

Seriously any TOP class footballer should be able to retain focus the entire game
The absolute elites yes but even top class players have moments were their concentration wanders. It's just a lot more noticeable when a defender does it and even more noticeable in our very exposed defensive setup with basically no buffer.

Tbh VDV also has his moments he's just that fast that he has usually recovered.

It's just to say that I don't think hoping or expecting any defender to be perfect for 100% of a match is a realistic proposition. We can certainly hope for minimal lapses but perfection just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
....which means he isn't suited for angeball :)

Seriously any TOP class footballer should be able to retain focus the entire game

It’s not just Romero. Against Leicester we spent the whole game in possession, attacking. Our defence playing on the half way line and involved in a totally different game. Suddenly they need to defend the box and goal and it takes them a moment or two get bearings positions etc. credit Leicester they don’t give us a spare second or get into place, and tucked the ball away while we were adjusting.

Argentina are very happy to not have the ball at times. They kind of just reset, defend stoutly wait for the opposition to tire themselves out and reset. Romero works well in that system that gives equal priority to the defense. The defend on the halfway line high possession high defensive exposure system doesn't seem to suit him so much.
He suits a lot of the demands of this system really well.

IMO a big part of what makes VdV so good for us is that Romero does some of the things VdV isn't so good at really well meaning that the weaknesses aren't exposed as much. And the same the other way around.

Together they form a CB partnership that fits our style of fom as well as we could possibly expect.

He suits a lot of the demands of this system really well.

IMO a big part of what makes VdV so good for us is that Romero does some of the things VdV isn't so good at really well meaning that the weaknesses aren't exposed as much. And the same the other way around.

Together they form a CB partnership that fits our style of fom as well as we could possibly expect.

They are both fantastic players and so well suited to play together except for one thing - aerial presence. It would have been nice if one of them was a beast in the air. Neither are.

It’s not just Romero. Against Leicester we spent the whole game in possession, attacking. Our defence playing on the half way line and involved in a totally different game. Suddenly they need to defend the box and goal and it takes them a moment or two get bearings positions etc. credit Leicester they don’t give us a spare second or get into place, and tucked the ball away while we were adjusting.

Adjusting…
We had so much time to deal with it that Romero trots past the man who scores
Your given them way too much credit

Not as big a fan as many on this site but worry about getting the ball out of defence without him. Think he picks a pass better than Udogie, Radusin and VdV.

Not as big a fan as many on this site but worry about getting the ball out of defence without him. Think he picks a pass better than Udogie, Radusin and VdV.

Good catch. I don't think some feel the incisive, progressive passes we see from Romero and Porro on the right. That isn't replicated on the left. They are just simpler passes.

Can argue that he was fouled but another goal that he was poor for. Even though he played well overall he was poor for most corners and has made too many mistakes leading to goals.

For the corners is he being coached on how to defend them? Either he's not listening or there's no coaching, either way it's a big issue.

Can argue that he was fouled but another goal that he was poor for. Even though he played well overall he was poor for most corners and has made too many mistakes leading to goals.

For the corners is he being coached on how to defend them? Either he's not listening or there's no coaching, either way it's a big issue.
Or does he just switch off? It is a problem.
Cos it seems like he never learns. Or they don't look at the videos after the games

Romero liking, and then unliking, a tweet by Argentine journalist Gaston Edul claiming the reason we lost is because we don't work in a detailed way like other clubs apparently do - with the proof being offered being that Romero apparently had to arrange his own flight back home after international duty while other clubs had flights arranged for their players. Also claims Romero was feverish.

To me there's a ring of truth in that - historically lots of our coaches have complained that we aren't as organized as other clubs when it comes to the little details, and this has been true for 25 years (again, no prizes for guessing the constant here).

But the wider issue is that Romero is clearly starting to look unhappy, and it's bleeding into his performances.

Personally I think he's off to Madrid next summer. And frankly, it might be a good decision for him and for us. He's clearly a Rolls Royce of a player that belongs at a higher level than we can offer him, like Kane, Modric, Bale and almost every other player of note we had in the last 25 years.

But he's also a little erratic and hot-headed, and while in a top team those things can be balanced out by not having to defend as much (allowing his technical talents to shin through), for us he has to do a lot of back-foot defending that exposes his lapses in concentration.

Madrid ain't signing a player that puts in lazy efforts like today.

Like I said, players look better in better teams. When you have Mbappe, Vinicius, Rodrygo and whomever else attacking the other side, players like Romero can look magnificent because they don't have to defend as much - other teams are too scared of that front three to get after Madrid. Romero excels at the technical side of the game, and is a very good defender overall (not great, but very good). That is enough for players like him to shine in great teams.

When you have a front three of Werner, Johnson, etc. fumbling the ball, the opposition just has zero fear and gets after our CBs, forcing Romero to defend on the back foot. It's here he struggles to keep concentrating for 90 minutes.

Put Romero in Madrid white, and you have a world beater. In Spurs lilywhite, he is increasingly struggling. Think it's best he moves on to a team that matches his ambitions next summer, while we focus on more limited players more suited to our level under ENIC.

I find it hard to believe but if it’s true that we leave players to make their own arrangements to get back from international leave then I think that’s extremely bad form from the club. Bad enough we have to release players but at least make sure we get them back as timely and as comfortable as possible.

I find it hard to believe but if it’s true that we leave players to make their own arrangements to get back from international leave then I think that’s extremely bad form from the club. Bad enough we have to release players but at least make sure we get them back as timely and as comfortable as possible.

I don't find it hard to believe at all mate. Remember, we're the club that once made players take Ryanair to save on plane tickets. Think we even made Soldado take a Ryanair flight over to sign for us, after paying 26m for him. Before the new training ground, we used to have no professional dieticians or cooks on staff, and Spurs Lodge used to be a pretty disorganized place iirc.

Iirc we also have just that one large bloke (Levy's son in law, I think?) doing player liaison, while these days clubs have dozens of people for that. Levy still sits at the training ground and eats with the players, and his idea of motivating a star signing is to give him a lecture about his A-levels. Iirc, we still don't have a dedicated sports psychologist on the team, and I'm still uncertain whether we have a dedicated set-piece coach or if it's just something Montgomery does in addition to his other duties. We had our physio head in charge for something like two decades straight (or close to it), while other teams constantly refresh their physio teams to keep abreast of the latest developments in sports science. On transfers, we had our transfer chief admit he hated having to work in January, one of the three months of the year he's legally permitted to get deals over the line. And when Paratici arrived, he was apparently shocked at the lack of data science personnel we had on the scouting team.

Even on things like Spurs Play - until recently, we had that one interviewer bloke who's been at the club for twenty years straight doing all the interviews, while these days clubs have huge media teams of hundreds of people to manage every aspect of it.

Everything behind the scenes speaks to the club being run like Levy ran it in the late 2000s, and considerably behind the cutting edge. It seems to me like the priority is more to run Spurs like a homely family than a cutting edge institution.

So why would it be surprising we leave details like player flights to the players themselves?

I don't find it hard to believe at all mate. Remember, we're the club that once made players take Ryanair to save on plane tickets. Think we even made Soldado take a Ryanair flight over to sign for us, after paying 26m for him. Before the new training ground, we used to have no professional dieticians or cooks on staff, and Spurs Lodge used to be a pretty disorganized place iirc.

Iirc we also have just that one large bloke (Levy's son in law, I think?) doing player liaison, while these days clubs have dozens of people for that. Levy still sits at the training ground and eats with the players, and his idea of motivating a star signing is to give him a lecture about his A-levels. Iirc, we still don't have a dedicated sports psychologist on the team, and I'm still uncertain whether we have a dedicated set-piece coach or if it's just something Montgomery does in addition to his other duties. We had our physio head in charge for something like two decades straight (or close to it), while other teams constantly refresh their physio teams to keep abreast of the latest developments in sports science. On transfers, we had our transfer chief admit he hated having to work in January, one of the three months of the year he's legally permitted to get deals over the line. And when Paratici arrived, he was apparently shocked at the lack of data science personnel we had on the scouting team.

Even on things like Spurs Play - until recently, we had that one interviewer bloke who's been at the club for twenty years straight doing all the interviews, while these days clubs have huge media teams of hundreds of people to manage every aspect of it.

Everything behind the scenes speaks to the club being run like Levy ran it in the late 2000s, and considerably behind the cutting edge. It seems to me like the priority is more to run Spurs like a homely family than a cutting edge institution.

So why would it be surprising we leave details like player flights to the players themselves?
Blimey. Did you type all that in 10 mins or have it auto-saved ready to go?

Blimey. Did you type all that in 10 mins or have it auto-saved ready to go?
Typed it out mate. :p Thinking about it, didn't even get through everything - I could go into detail on Levy insisting on micromanaging every part of the stadium project himself and burning himself out as a result, the shambles on the commercial side as our commercial income remains below-par compared to our rivals and a stadium sponsor is nowhere to be seen...

..anyway, point is, we seem to be run more as a personal fiefdom than an actually cutting-edge institution. So this business about not booking the players flights home seems entirely in keeping with that mate.

Back