• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Well i guess i will be in the minority [ at the moment] but i think some of the criticism of him is overstated, he makes mistakes [ never seen any player anywhere who does not]. but as the old saying goes [ opinions are like arseholes everyone has them].;)

Well i guess i will be in the minority [ at the moment] but i think some of the criticism of him is overstated, he makes mistakes [ never seen any player anywhere who does not]. but as the old saying goes [ opinions are like arseholes everyone has them].;)
And they stink…
Don’t forget that as the kicker

There's another way to look at this, chiefly that if Radu steps up a yard/holds his line initially, then both Newcash players are offside. Also have to figure Romero is covering the left/not his normal position thus all angles change for him. Truthfully, the biggest actual culprit in this goal for me was Maddison failing to get to Joelinton in time. The rest is a combination of relying on cheat mode, cheat mode not being fit, the defence on the pitch not having played together enough...

There's another way to look at this, chiefly that if Radu steps up a yard/holds his line initially, then both Newcash players are offside. Also have to figure Romero is covering the left/not his normal position thus all angles change for him. Truthfully, the biggest actual culprit in this goal for me was Maddison failing to get to Joelinton in time. The rest is a combination of relying on cheat mode, cheat mode not being fit, the defence on the pitch not having played together enough...
agree that maddison should have done more. i mean he got his hands on joelinton but had not serious intent to foul him. also maddison was weak throughout the game, falling to physically assert himself consistently throughout the game. should have been subbed earlier.

Vuskovic incoming means Romero will soon be a pricey slice of pan tostado bound for some wealthy continental club. At 26, he's out of sync with Big Ange's youth movement. That and his costly brainfarts.

Vuskovic incoming means Romero will soon be a pricey slice of pan tostado bound for some wealthy continental club. At 26, he's out of sync with Big Ange's youth movement. That and his costly brainfarts.

I think the sharper end of that truth is that he will go to Real Madrid for the big money they originally offered (informally) in the summer, where he will win several large trophies. I disagree wholeheartedly with your 'he's out of sync with Big Ange's youth movement' comment. He's a World Cup winner and we need any of those we can find. In the ideal world he'd go nowhere. But thankfully we have Radu...
agree that maddison should have done more. i mean he got his hands on joelinton but had not serious intent to foul him. also maddison was weak throughout the game, falling to physically assert himself consistently throughout the game. should have been subbed earlier.

I can't remember, did he have a yellow at that stage? Maddison I mean.

Full agreement mate. Obviously he's not perfect, but he's a damn good player that's really important to us. We'd miss him so much if he wasn't fit, as we did last season.

I think the sharper end of that truth is that he will go to Real Madrid for the big money they originally offered (informally) in the summer, where he will win several large trophies. I disagree wholeheartedly with your 'he's out of sync with Big Ange's youth movement' comment. He's a World Cup winner and we need any of those we can find. In the ideal world he'd go nowhere. But thankfully we have Radu...

Maddison was on a yellow, yes. Can't just foul him and Joelinton is really good in those situations.

Think our collective press had started to fade a little bit before the goal and we failed to react. But the press getting bypassed is a risk and one we have to live with and deal with.

Maddison should have stood his ground and cut of the passing lane, he was never getting to joelinton in time to make a safe tackle, he can't foul because is on a yellow and joelinton is a bit of a beast so it's not a fair match up to begin with.
It's decisions like this, picking the wrong pass on the break (kulu), not making the correct run in the box (son) along with our being distracted by off the ball rubbish.
It's not our system or it's not our lack of technical ability, it's our decision making that's hurting us.

They won’t wanna pay for him what we want to sell him

He did, yes, for an earlier cynical tackle.

I think Romero is great when defending anything in front of him, that let's him see the ball and potential targets for a pass. I think his favourite moments are when he can arrive at the same time as the ball, break up a pass and deliver some physical punishment at the same time.

But he's not nearly as effective having to turn and run after after the recipient of a ball played behind him. He doesn't have VdV's wheels - damn few do - nor does he seem to have the mental radar to track other opposition attackers and the possibilities they present.

He won't be moving faster as he ages and if he doesn't possess that internal radar then we're seeing him at peak form for Spurs. Within Ange's system, he's never going to be the complete answer at RCB. We'll need a younger player in the VdV mould.

As for the notion that we need a World Cup winner - or more - in the squad, I think that's great if they are content where they are. Romero has found one level of glory now his ambitions must surely be directed toward success at the club level. We are not going to be that club for at least 2-3 seasons, not with the youf movement Ange has begun. Romero won't want to wait that long. He'll be 30 then and life would probably be a little easier on that aging body outside the PL.

So he must be sold. His stock will never have been as high as this past summer, adding the Copa America to his CV. But I would certainly entertain selling him in January, when a good price can still be had. We might face some much tougher bargaining as he goes into the final year of his current contract.

Far better to lose a player a year - or even half a year - early than a year too late.

Last edited:
I think Romero is great when defending anything in front of him, that let's him see the ball and potential targets for a pass. I think his favourite moments are when he can arrive at the same time as the ball, break up a pass and deliver some physical punishment at the same time.

But he's not nearly as effective having to turn and run after after the recipient of a ball played behind him. He doesn't have VdV's wheels - damn few do - nor does he seem to have the mental radar to track other opposition attackers and the possibilities they present.

He won't be moving faster as he ages and if he doesn't possess that internal radar then we're seeing him at peak form for Spurs. Within Ange's system, he's never going to be the complete answer at RCB. We'll need a younger player in the VdV mould.

As for the notion that we need a World Cup winner - or more - in the squad, I think that's great if they are content where they are. Romero has found one level of glory now his ambitions must surely be directed toward success at the club level. We are not going to be that club for at least 2-3 seasons, not with the youf movement Ange has begun. Romero won't want to wait that long. He'll be 30 then and life would probably be a little easier on that aging body outside the PL.

So he must be sold. His stock will never have been as high as this past summer, adding the Copa America to his CV. But I would certainly entertain selling him in January, when a good price can still be had. We might face some much tougher bargaining as he goes into the final year of his current contract.

Far better to lose a player a year - or even half a year - early than a year too late.
I think you're right at the very least in regard to his suitability to the system. You watch him for Argentina and he's very comfortable, but they tend to drop in when the first line of their press is broken and will play a mid-block. In that system he's quite adept and very comfortable, our consistent high line doesn't particularly suit him.

Even saying that, I think the blame he's getting for Newcatle's second goal is rather overstated. He definitely did the wrong thing and his body shape was all wrong, but there's nothing to say he would have even caught Murphy if he was in the correct position and I think that's the problem of the system, it exposes the defence a little too readily to pace in behind and so unless we have another genuine speedster like VDV it's always going to have these problems.

Worth noting that Argentina don’t always dominate passion in games like we do
Against Columbia in the most recent game they had 45% of the ball. Against Canada and ecuador it was even
They are happy without the ball and it means Romero is switched on defensively
For us he switches off when we have the ball attack wise.. almost as if he is thinking how he can get involved

Against Columbia in the most recent game they had 45% of the ball. Against Canada and ecuador it was even
For us he switches off when we have the ball attack wise.. almost as if he is thinking how he can get involved.

Argentina are very happy to not have the ball at times. They kind of just reset, defend stoutly wait for the opposition to tire themselves out and reset. Romero works well in that system that gives equal priority to the defense. The defend on the halfway line high possession high defensive exposure system doesn't seem to suit him so much.

Argentina are very happy to not have the ball at times. They kind of just reset, defend stoutly wait for the opposition to tire themselves out and reset. Romero works well in that system that gives equal priority to the defense. The defend on the halfway line high possession high defensive exposure system doesn't seem to suit him so much.
It’s means his brain is always engaged

For us he switches off when we have the ball attack wise.. almost as if he is thinking how he can get involved

....which means he isn't suited for angeball :)

Seriously any TOP class footballer should be able to retain focus the entire game

Back