• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

Johnson is a "moments player". Mostly average, but then (sometimes) great moments when the right situation arises. Those moments don't come around that often, but when they do he's a real threat.

Other than that he works hard, keeps the shape and stretches play. But he isn't someone we can "play through", just give the ball to and wait for the magic nest.

Nothing wrong with that. At the risk of stirring a hornets nest I think of others like Son, Werner and Dele Alli (when good) as moments players too. But of course with different levels of quality and different situations they thrive in.

Question for me is if he can develop his overall game to be more of a threat overall over time. Failing that he should be used when the game suits him, unless he (like Son) becomes exceptionally effective in those moments.

But there's a difference between those players and those who continually impress even if they don't have that decisive moment. Kane, Bale, Maddison (when playing well). And we can't have too many moments players in the same lineup.

Moments players often draw a lot of criticism when not getting end product. Some of it unfair. Imo not fair to expect a moments player to not be a moments player, at least short term. Becoming a more well rounded player at best takes time.

Not sure I agree, see my other response below

My thoughts as well, i have no idea of course but he does not look the most confident of people but he is still fairly young [ 23] and i do not think he is as poor as some think he is. We will see but its good that we have bought another winger in as competition lets hope he can push on.

My observation last season was similar, he's not brave, he doesn't make himself open all the time, he doesn't go full in on 50/50's, he doesn't take on his man every time. At some point last season, he suddenly starting taking more on, being braver and he looked a different player, looks like he reverted to norm.

My worry @braineclipse is not that he is a luxury/moments player ala a Dele, it's that he is another Sessegnon, where the talent/ability is there (ignoring Sess injuries), but he isn't naturally aggressive enough

Not sure I agree, see my other response below

My observation last season was similar, he's not brave, he doesn't make himself open all the time, he doesn't go full in on 50/50's, he doesn't take on his man every time. At some point last season, he suddenly starting taking more on, being braver and he looked a different player, looks like he reverted to norm.

My worry @braineclipse is not that he is a luxury/moments player ala a Dele, it's that he is another Sessegnon, where the talent/ability is there (ignoring Sess injuries), but he isn't naturally aggressive enough
I wouldn't consider him a luxury player. For me that would more be about a player lacking work rate or positional discipline.

I think I get what you're saying and I think it's similar to other posts on here talking about his confidence. I agree, more confidence and aggression would be a good thing. That probably would help him to be less of a moments player and be a threat in more situations. His involvement in the buildup to Bissouma was a good example of him doing that.

He does have talent, no doubt. But I don't think of him as an exceptional talent or a particularly well rounded talent. More of a very good at a few things kind of talent and player. Which I guess is another way of saying moments player for me.

I wouldn't consider him a luxury player. For me that would more be about a player lacking work rate or positional discipline.

I think I get what you're saying and I think it's similar to other posts on here talking about his confidence. I agree, more confidence and aggression would be a good thing. That probably would help him to be less of a moments player and be a threat in more situations. His involvement in the buildup to Bissouma was a good example of him doing that.

He does have talent, no doubt. But I don't think of him as an exceptional talent or a particularly well rounded talent. More of a very good at a few things kind of talent and player. Which I guess is another way of saying moments player for me.

I think to be fair to him, he's more than that
- He's got pace, he gets into good positions (really hard to teach), he's good at making runs into spaces, he can put in a decent cross and he can finish (last two need consistency but the basics are there)

What I don't see outside of a small sample later last season is
- Making himself constantly available for the pass (people bitched endlessly re Royal, but he was always available, always positioning himself to receive the pass)
- Make the run, every time, make the opposition know they have to cover you (see Wilson against Everton)
- Go for the 50/50, I see him pull out way too early for a tackle or press too often (he wouldn't do what Son did with Pickford)

I think his output will improve with a Solanke/Richi in the side (someone there for his crosses) but he's got to push himself harder. You have too many other players in the side giving everything for him to be that luxury/moments player.

Johnson is a "moments player". Mostly average, but then (sometimes) great moments when the right situation arises. Those moments don't come around that often, but when they do he's a real threat.

Other than that he works hard, keeps the shape and stretches play. But he isn't someone we can "play through", just give the ball to and wait for the magic nest.

Nothing wrong with that. At the risk of stirring a hornets nest I think of others like Son, Werner and Dele Alli (when good) as moments players too. But of course with different levels of quality and different situations they thrive in.

Question for me is if he can develop his overall game to be more of a threat overall over time. Failing that he should be used when the game suits him, unless he (like Son) becomes exceptionally effective in those moments.

But there's a difference between those players and those who continually impress even if they don't have that decisive moment. Kane, Bale, Maddison (when playing well). And we can't have too many moments players in the same lineup.

Moments players often draw a lot of criticism when not getting end product. Some of it unfair. Imo not fair to expect a moments player to not be a moments player, at least short term. Becoming a more well rounded player at best takes time.
I think that's a really fair assesment and one I agree with, especially listing Dele and Son as moments players. I really remember Son was just this livewire where things just happened when the ball was in his vicinity. Dele was something similar.

I'm semi biased against moments style players unless they are incredibly effective or efficient and I suppose with Johnson is a question of seeing how he develops maybe if he can become a little more rounded or more efficient.

I think to be fair to him, he's more than that
- He's got pace, he gets into good positions (really hard to teach), he's good at making runs into spaces, he can put in a decent cross and he can finish (last two need consistency but the basics are there)

What I don't see outside of a small sample later last season is
- Making himself constantly available for the pass (people bitched endlessly re Royal, but he was always available, always positioning himself to receive the pass)
- Make the run, every time, make the opposition know they have to cover you (see Wilson against Everton)
- Go for the 50/50, I see him pull out way too early for a tackle or press too often (he wouldn't do what Son did with Pickford)

I think his output will improve with a Solanke/Richi in the side (someone there for his crosses) but he's got to push himself harder. You have too many other players in the side giving everything for him to be that luxury/moments player.
I think that's fair and I'm not calling him a one trick pony or just a pace merchant. When a moment arises where he can use one of those attributes you list he is often very good. But those moments only happen a handful of times at most in most games. A more well rounded player will have more of a positive impact in a greater variety of situations.

I agree on what we don't see as much and would add other things to that. Effective combination play, dribbling, receiving the ball facing the wrong way and turning that into purposeful possession, keeping possession under pressure. Probably more too.

I guess what I'm suggesting is a spectrum between more well rounded players and moments players (with one trick players even further extreme). And he's for me more on the moments player side of that.

It's apparent the boss sees something in him, and whatever that is seems to need regular games to bring it out of him - that can be the only reason I can think he's getting a game ahead of others when he plays mediocre.

It's safe to say based on this pre season that Kulu is no longer considered a winger as in Angeball he's too slow and wrong footed for the RW position, so it's Odobert or Werner or Johnson when we have a fit No9, cos Sonny will be left.

Even if a player is not providing a lot of end product he can be a nuisance - Crouch for instance only scored 12 EPL goals for us, yet he was a far bigger pest to the opposition than that number on paper. We need a bare minimum of stretching the full back and pushing the opposite winger back from Johnson. Add end product and suddenly we are quids in.

It's apparent the boss sees something in him, and whatever that is seems to need regular games to bring it out of him - that can be the only reason I can think he's getting a game ahead of others when he plays mediocre.

It's safe to say based on this pre season that Kulu is no longer considered a winger as in Angeball he's too slow and wrong footed for the RW position, so it's Odobert or Werner or Johnson when we have a fit No9, cos Sonny will be left.

Even if a player is not providing a lot of end product he can be a nuisance - Crouch for instance only scored 12 EPL goals for us, yet he was a far bigger pest to the opposition than that number on paper. We need a bare minimum of stretching the full back and pushing the opposite winger back from Johnson. Add end product and suddenly we are quids in.
Werner imo is only an option for the left. Will be Johnson or Odobert on the right, perhaps with Kulusevski with the odd game there. Hopefully Moore will get some minutes at some point too.

Imo Johnson probably will look "mediocre" in some games at the very least, perhaps even in most games. But he will do what you describe, stretch and push. And, going by last season, he will also add end product with a good frequency.

Werner imo is only an option for the left. Will be Johnson or Odobert on the right, perhaps with Kulusevski with the odd game there. Hopefully Moore will get some minutes at some point too.

Imo Johnson probably will look "mediocre" in some games at the very least, perhaps even in most games. But he will do what you describe, stretch and push. And, going by last season, he will also add end product with a good frequency.
The issue is against the better teams he needs to up his end product significantly given he doesn't actively contribute otherwise.

Last season I recall him being pretty decent against Arsenal away, a game where we had space which does suit him better. I suppose part of the issue is, his skillset isn't particularly suited to a heavy possession side.

It will be interesting to see how the right hand side develops as you have to imagine Son is going to play left (even if I think he's now not as effective there) and we have added Odobert who reportedly can play both sides but seems to also suit the left in the prototypical right footed WF cutting in mould.

Will Odobert in the right be more involved but produce less direct goal contributions than Johnson? I wouldn't be shocked by that tbh.

The issue is against the better teams he needs to up his end product significantly given he doesn't actively contribute otherwise.

Last season I recall him being pretty decent against Arsenal away, a game where we had space which does suit him better. I suppose part of the issue is, his skillset isn't particularly suited to a heavy possession side.

It will be interesting to see how the right hand side develops as you have to imagine Son is going to play left (even if I think he's now not as effective there) and we have added Odobert who reportedly can play both sides but seems to also suit the left in the prototypical right footed WF cutting in mould.

Will Odobert in the right be more involved but produce less direct goal contributions than Johnson? I wouldn't be shocked by that tbh.

JvO.JPG

Confidence.

You can visibly see Johnson hesitating when he has space right now. He’s not in his zone and needs a goal or something to bolster his self belief. Our coaches and fans can also play a part.

Although I’ve been critical, I will say that even when off form and lacking confidence, he still works hard and tracks back.

I’d love him to make more curving runs. Often he’s waiting for the ball. And right now he looks pressured and scared. That is psychological. Not easy for most 23 year olds under the spotlight.

He showed last season he is a good team player and has ability. He might have to fight for his place, and maybe he’s a better player when an underdog. Not a natural in the limelight. He has to rediscover his mojo and pomp.

Confidence.

You can visibly see Johnson hesitating when he has space right now. He’s not in his zone and needs a goal or something to bolster his self belief. Our coaches and fans can also play a part.

Although I’ve been critical, I will say that even when off form and lacking confidence, he still works hard and tracks back.

I’d love him to make more curving runs. Often he’s waiting for the ball. And right now he looks pressured and scared. That is psychological. Not easy for most 23 year olds under the spotlight.

He showed last season he is a good team player and has ability. He might have to fight for his place, and maybe he’s a better player when an underdog. Not a natural in the limelight. He has to rediscover his mojo and pomp.

That worries me, you basically described Sessegnon ..

Confidence.

I feel like I wonder this quite often, but do our club employ some kind of sports psychologist, or have someone in the role of advising players on their mentality (besides Ange, obviously)?

It seems to help most athletes who have utilized the services of a mental health professional (to use a vague term), whether it's an individual sport or in a team environment. Richarlison is one of those who claimed he was aided by seeing a therapist, so I'd be really confused to learn if the club didn't employ someone in that role.

I'm not even saying that Johnson necessarily needs to see a therapist or anything; it's more that I think it would benefit the entire squad, although as I mentioned, I do think a large part of Ange's job is sorting out the mental side of the game, not just the physical coaching.

I feel like I wonder this quite often, but do our club employ some kind of sports psychologist, or have someone in the role of advising players on their mentality (besides Ange, obviously)?

It seems to help most athletes who have utilized the services of a mental health professional (to use a vague term), whether it's an individual sport or in a team environment. Richarlison is one of those who claimed he was aided by seeing a therapist, so I'd be really confused to learn if the club didn't employ someone in that role.

I'm not even saying that Johnson necessarily needs to see a therapist or anything; it's more that I think it would benefit the entire squad, although as I mentioned, I do think a large part of Ange's job is sorting out the mental side of the game, not just the physical coaching.

Yes I’d say Mamagers role is more psychologist, planner, leader and the coaching team work more on fitness, drills, even tactics.

Put in a few good crosses to the far post but son was on the penalty spot waiting .

To me it's anges instruction for strikers to wait around the penalty spot.

Put in a few good crosses to the far post but son was on the penalty spot waiting .

There's a training clip doing the rounds (It's probably posted already somewhere) where it shows Mason shouting don't even look, just take a touch then ping it across the 6 yard box. It's interesting because we all assumed the wingers weren't looking up but it seems that's Anges instruction. Sonny and the left winger should know where it's going and be in there already.

Edit: Although we don't know if that clip is still 100% valid. Maybe Sonny prefers it cut back and that's where he was expecting it etc.

There's a training clip doing the rounds (It's probably posted already somewhere) where it shows Mason shouting don't even look, just take a touch then ping it across the 6 yard box. It's interesting because we all assumed the wingers weren't looking up but it seems that's Anges instruction. Sonny and the left winger should know where it's going and be in there already.

Edit: Although we don't know if that clip is still 100% valid. Maybe Sonny prefers it cut back and that's where he was expecting it etc.
The clip is valid for sure
It’s a Mason and you even get to see Timo miss early in it (that will keep some happy)
The logic of the approach is fast accurate ball will make defenders think or retreat. Johnson did some and son did 3 in the fist half too that were great if we had a CF

I'd say it's just Son's instinct to do that as he would normally have a striker going into the 6 yard box while he would hang back. He's not an out and out striker. I'd hope Ange is pushing them to get into the 6 yard box for those crosses.

The clip is valid for sure
It’s a Mason and you even get to see Timo miss early in it (that will keep some happy)
The logic of the approach is fast accurate ball will make defenders think or retreat. Johnson did some and son did 3 in the fist half too that were great if we had a CF

There is a video comparing Son's heatmap last season vs. Solanke's, basically Son sits on the edge of the full box, Solanke sits in the 6 yard box, that's what Johnson was aiming for (wrong player)

Johnson always seems more effective as a sub .. against tired players or ?

Back