• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Brennan Johnson

I think the Bale comparison is actually very, very interesting. Obviously Bale had world class talent (Brennan will never be Bale!!!!!) but I think the confidence/personality bit here is vital. He needs to find Bale's confidence, which in his first couple of seasons with us simply was not there.
To me, Alli comes to mind. A player without first gear, who needs confidence and thrives on things falling for him. When this is not the case, very little goes his way. But he is a trier and at pretty difficult things as well, and I think he'll come good in time. Whether that time is this season or how useful he'll end up for us remains to be seen, I personally don't expect too much except development from him for now. At least he's not afraid of the ball even when playing less than stellar, and that's always a good sign.

I don’t see a bale comparison other than Welsh and fast
But I do see characteristics that he will develop that will make him more than justify the fee… with the right coaching
What worry’s me is slow passing to him. Will be interesting to seen if that changes

I don’t see a bale comparison other than Welsh and fast
But I do see characteristics that he will develop that will make him more than justify the fee… with the right coaching
What worry’s me is slow passing to him. Will be interesting to seen if that changes

I specifically made the point that the Bale comparison is NOT talent/style based, bnut on their shared timidity in early months with us. In Brennan's case it needs to shift soon/he needs to buy into himself more. His specific talent is not in question.

To me, Alli comes to mind. A player without first gear, who needs confidence and thrives on things falling for him. When this is not the case, very little goes his way. But he is a trier and at pretty difficult things as well, and I think he'll come good in time. Whether that time is this season or how useful he'll end up for us remains to be seen, I personally don't expect too much except development from him for now. At least he's not afraid of the ball even when playing less than stellar, and that's always a good sign.

Again, my personally agreeing with any comparison to Bale was with regards to confidence and presence. I think Dele was a generational talent, and IMO nearly world class, albeit I accept that he was a system-based player, but I loved his style and movement.

Again, my personally agreeing with any comparison to Bale was with regards to confidence and presence. I think Dele was a generational talent, and IMO nearly world class, albeit I accept that he was a system-based player, but I loved his style and movement.
See I’d say dele wasn’t a system based okayed but became one because of Poch and the set up
He was anywhere in midfield before we signed him
We kinda made him into an 8/10 hybrid
He didn’t even know he good he could be IMO

I didn't comment on Bale as much as offer my own comparison, but I can see some similarities when you mention it. My comparison with Alli was not about skill or level either, more about needing confidence because they both are or were not afraid to pick the difficult option, the flair-y lob, the hard dribble or the impossible throughball. At least it looks that way. In a lot of ways the antithesis of, say a Sissoko or a later Jenas who picked the safe option to the point of exhaustion.

I think the most similar to Bale with regards to confidence and presence (and skills/strengths) in our squad would be Son, perhaps.

I didn't comment on Bale as much as offer my own comparison, but I can see some similarities when you mention it. My comparison with Alli was not about skill or level either, more about needing confidence because they both are or were not afraid to pick the difficult option, the flair-y lob, the hard dribble or the impossible throughball. At least it looks that way. In a lot of ways the antithesis of, say a Sissoko or a later Jenas who picked the safe option to the point of exhaustion.

I think the most similar to Bale with regards to confidence and presence (and skills/strengths) in our squad would be Son, perhaps.

Really? I don't think Sonny's confidence is ever as fragile. Yes like everyone he dips, but overall I think he's remarkably resilient?!

See I’d say dele wasn’t a system based okayed but became one because of Poch and the set up
He was anywhere in midfield before we signed him
We kinda made him into an 8/10 hybrid
He didn’t even know he good he could be IMO

Very fair points. I didn't watch him enough pre-us to comment.
I absolutely agree he didn't realize how good he was.
I will always think of his movement ahead of kane/off the shoulder, ghosting in from wide positions, his ability to read and drift into those spaces. When I see Kane slagged off like he was in the Euros, I remember how dynamic Dele's movement was around him and how much it did for both players (and Sonny too)...

Really? I don't think Sonny's confidence is ever as fragile. Yes like everyone he dips, but overall I think he's remarkably resilient?!
Well, I wouldn't call Bale especially fragile either, more like indifferent towards the end. But I see what you mean. Still, I remember Son needing several "playing himself confident/in form" spells through the years, where his confidence looked shot. Point being, some players can fill a role and being useful because their game is more about doing things right than doing the spectacular, so to speak (Højbjerg, Skipp, Winks, even Porro as loose examples), when not on top confidence wise - while some players are better on the bench because their usefulness dips below zero when not on the money.

Again, this is a very loose comparison, and mostly for argument's sake.

He was but he wasnt a winger was he?
tenor.gif

Well, I wouldn't call Bale especially fragile either, more like indifferent towards the end. But I see what you mean. Still, I remember Son needing several "playing himself confident/in form" spells through the years, where his confidence looked shot. Point being, some players can fill a role and being useful because their game is more about doing things right than doing the spectacular, so to speak (Højbjerg, Skipp, Winks, even Porro as loose examples), when not on top confidence wise - while some players are better on the bench because their usefulness dips below zero when not on the money.

Again, this is a very loose comparison, and mostly for argument's sake.

Indeed.

Just to clarify, the fragile Bale I was referring to was the truth Harry tried to bin off to Forest ;-)...oh how he grew!!!!

In the modern stats based game Johnson is not without his merits.

Of course we all want a superstar but he did get a decent amount of goals and assists his first season.

Reminds me of Sessegnon in that I feel he lacks a little confidence.

SO the last few days have been people writing off our own players and being negative, anyone would think we were 30 games into a season.

SO the last few days have been people writing off our own players and being negative, anyone would think we were 30 games into a season.

I think it's mainly people who weren't enthralled by him last season and jumped at the chance to repeat their opinions after a fairly average showing from Johnson - That's always going to be the case, despite it only being one game in to the season, you are still allowed to voice opinions / concerns, even if they're not particularly interesting ones.

It's an even more boring addition to the conversation but as long as Ange feels he is doing what is asked of him then that's enough for me for the time being.

Perhaps a little perspective here instead of all fart and no poo ... people are carrying on from last season not just one game ... give some credit to some posters.

Back