• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

Almost cost us the game today. Lost Siggy totally in the box when there were already two other defenders with him. Thanks to him a game we were cruising in was almost thrown away...

The kid is regressing instead of progressing; every one is on Townsend's back because he does the same mistakes over and over again. Yet Davies is guilty of ball watching game after game...

Unfortunately Davies is at the moment nowhere near required standard... Ball watching as Maltese says, not very quick - especially in turning, looses his head when he gets the ball in tight situations. I don't see a left back in him that could play week in, week out for at top six team. But, he is still young, hopefully he will prove me wrong.

I think there's a really good player in there, but he's young and inconsistent.

Rose is well ahead of him at this point in time, but I do think Davies has a higher ceiling (though it might take 2-3 years for him to eclipse Rose)

I'm a big fan of Rose, but we can give Davies a bit of time imo, only his first season here. He's been hit and miss (more miss) but only young. Chadli and Eriksen have delivered after a taking the first season to settle, let's hope Davies can too.

Rose definately ahead of him and in form. That said, Davies still had a good cameo (except the goal).

He's a solid option and also great competition for Rose, I think he's been a big factor in Rose's excellent form this season.. That's what he was purchased for, like most of our squad he's surprisingly young and will only get better from here.

Just watched the 2nd Swansea goal on MOTD and not too sure what Davies could have done.

Routledge was his man and Routledge made a run inside towards the six yard box which Davies had to cover.
Bentaleb was marking Siggy but as Bentaleb carried on his run to cover the front of the box, where Ki had moved to, Siggy stopped.
Mason was doubling up on Montero.
Dembele and Eriksen had both not caught up with play.

So in conclusion I don't think any blame can go to Davies, he did his job which was to mark his man. Had he left Routledge and the ball gone across the six yard box it would have been Davies' fault, this goal was more to do with our midfield not tracking back.

I must confess, I know some like him, and so I've been watching him a fair bit in his games, but to be honest he really hasn't shown me much of anything thus far. He has looked quite pedestrian to me and I'm not sure he's the best fit for this formation/system. I know he's young and has time, but we paid 11 mil, and he did play quite a few PL games for Swans, and so he has some experience, and so thus maybe I was expecting to see a bit more. But anyway, he's young and hopefully he will continue to develop in the future.

Last edited:
not a coincidence that our entire defence has been spotty all season.

two words - leadership and organization.

sorry to say this, but i feel that verts just isn't our man.

Just watched the 2nd Swansea goal on MOTD and not too sure what Davies could have done.

Routledge was his man and Routledge made a run inside towards the six yard box which Davies had to cover.
Bentaleb was marking Siggy but as Bentaleb carried on his run to cover the front of the box, where Ki had moved to, Siggy stopped.

So in conclusion I don't think any blame can go to Davies, he did his job which was to mark his man. Had he left Routledge and the ball gone across the six yard box it would have been Davies' fault, this goal was more to do with our midfield not tracking back.

People always get up in arms about defenders not tracking runners in the box for crosses. Regardless of how difficult the situation was for the defender. I agree with you that it was difficult for Davies, and far from a terrible mistake although he could have done better.

What I didn't like was him turning his side/back to the shot when he closed down Sigurdsson. That's not acceptable.

Excellent analysis. I watched it back too and concluded Davies was less to blame than I at first thought - he can hardly be expected to track two at once, especially when they're so far apart from each other.

I think there's a really good player in there, but he's young and inconsistent.

Rose is well ahead of him at this point in time, but I do think Davies has a higher ceiling (though it might take 2-3 years for him to eclipse Rose)
In what way do you think Davies has a higher ceiling than Rose?

Rose has some pace. Aggression. And a decent ball into the box. Davies for me will be another solid if not spectacular full back. Pretty good at defending and not bad going forward. But never anything special. Just reliable.

Rose has some pace. Aggression. And a decent ball into the box. Davies for me will be another solid if not spectacular full back. Pretty good at defending and not bad going forward. But never anything special. Just reliable.
I am with you here.... I think Rose's ceiling is much higher than that of Davies, who will never have the pace and ability to get up and back like Rose does. I think Rose will probably be England's first choice fullback within a year or two.

We really should be grateful to have Danny Rose. Who would have thought I would say that just a year ago?
Yep the same man who stopped playing when asking for offside against West Ham inside his own 6 yard box....who gave away a silly penalty against liverpool and in the stoke game at home where he was all over the place.....he has qualities Rose but its pointless having pace where crossing the ball ends up in the opposite corner flag or in row z.

i can't see how people can blame Davies for the last goal,it wasn't his man to mark for a start,where were dembele,eriksen,why did Rose close the cross down...because overall everyone switched off,i was at the game, the last ten minutes it was like a training game tippy tappy,standing off players waiting for someone else to do something.

Davies put in a few tidy crosses when he came on and with a bit of luck Soldano would have scored from one,i think he's doing ok,give a year at least before ripping him apart.

Yep the same man who stopped playing when asking for offside against West Ham inside his own 6 yard box....who gave away a silly penalty against liverpool and in the stoke game at home where he was all over the place.....he has qualities Rose but its pointless having pace where crossing the ball ends up in the opposite corner flag or in row z.

i can't see how people can blame Davies for the last goal,it wasn't his man to mark for a start,where were dembele,eriksen,why did Rose close the cross down...because overall everyone switched off,i was at the game, the last ten minutes it was like a training game tippy tappy,standing off players waiting for someone else to do something.

Davies put in a few tidy crosses when he came on and with a bit of luck Soldano would have scored from one,i think he's doing ok,give a year at least before ripping him apart.

Rose assisted the first goal. Davies almost got an assist. Good from both. Rose has pace and like Cole he will get better and better at defending whilst still having pace. Davies will never have pace. The last goal in my mind you are half right. Siggy could be being picked up by a midfielder. But if so then Davies and Verts had knowone to mark in the box. So what you are saying is as long as its not their assignment then its not their fault. How about having a brain and marking the only open opposition player in the box instead of space? he should have looked around. Saw Siggy and stuck tight. And that goal would never have happened.

Rose suits Poch's system better which is why he gets the bigger games. Also when Davies has a poor game he offers nothing, whereas when Rose has been poor defensively (not often this season)but he has still offered something going forward. For me Davies is steady (something not to be sniffed at) where as Rose can be really good at times both defensively and going forward....

Back