• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

thing is i've seen davies defend well against other wingers. maybe campbell-ryce is a one off type of player that davies can't handle.

Am I alone in being distinctly unimpressed by Davies ability to defend against direct wingers? I have lost count of the number of goals coming in from crosses from our left which he was unable to cut out...

Am I alone in being distinctly unimpressed by Davies ability to defend against direct wingers? I have lost count of the number of goals coming in from crosses from our left which he was unable to cut out...

Thought he has done fairly well up until the two Sheffield matches, never thought I would say this a year or so ago but I feel more comfortable with Rose in the team. He doesn't get forward nearly as much as Rose either

One thing is getting roasted because of lack of speed, it happens to a lot of full backs from time to time. Another thing is to lose your positioning A LOT... Not impressed at all by what he have done in the two games, let's hope for some improvement - if not Rose have to play every game till the end of the season.

Have to say I have been disappointed with him so far this season. He hasn't looked anywhere near the level he was when I watched him develop at Swansea although that was across 6-7 games a season. It is worth bearing in mind though that he is 21 and is at a bigger club and living away from his family for the first time so he might not feel fully settled and comfortable playing for us just yet.

Hopefully he can have a reasonably solid end to the season and kick on with a good pre season ready to go in 2015/16

I do think he does have problems against pace, with players who are happy to knock the ball into the space behind and run. If we sat deeper, I doubt whether he would look as exposed as he has recently. That coupled with Eriksen playing on the left and leaving him with little support at times does exacerbate the problem. Campbell-Ryce does have a great turn of pace, so unless we changed our game and doubled up on him (never gonna happen when we keep possession and they hit on the counter), he was always gonna win that foot race.

Oh look, few games off form and the boo boys are out until he has a good game. He has been fine, adapting to a new team with a different style.

Honestly.. a pathetic remark!

Where is anyone being a boo-boy? Is it now prohibited to discuss the potential faults of one our players? Or are we supposed to think that each player is perfect and above discussion?!!

Honestly.. a pathetic remark!

Where is anyone being a boo-boy? Is it now prohibited to discuss the potential faults of one our players? Or are we supposed to think that each player is perfect and above discussion?!!

He gets abused every week. There are a few exempt from criticism in this team but then you get a few, such as a solid player like Davies, who will get abused even if he has a good game. I just feel for him if someone faster than him happens to outpace him, because I know negative comments will be along.

For the risk of being called a boo-boy, yesterday another switching off moment by Davies leads to yet another crucial goal.

I hope that Paul Mitchell brings some rationality into our transfers. We sp**ked 10 mill on him, losing Sigurdsson in the process who could alternate perfectly with Eriksen or even play with him when we go with the wonky, and he looks totally out of his depth. The spammers pay peanuts for Cresswell and he is turning into an outstanding player. If it was us who bought the players Wet Spam bought in the summer, we would be breezing into the CL :(

Last edited:
but had yet another brain fart...

He has been skinned repeatedly by a variety of wingers and is especially susceptible to missing a player coming in on his right hand side.

Not impressed in the least.

but had yet another brain fart...

He has been skinned repeatedly by a variety of wingers and is especially susceptible to missing a player coming in on his right hand side.

Not impressed in the least.

I think you're getting him mixed up with Vertonghen or Fazio?

I think you're getting him mixed up with Vertonghen or Fazio?

There is not doubt of Vertonghen's faux pas and fault in the goal but look at Davies in the build up preceding it

Salah plays the one two and Davies is - for yet another time - ball watching and totally oblivious that Salah is cutting past him. Then when he realises he just stops to a halt instead of running with his man and trying to stop his cross/shot. True, if Vertonghen had not f**** up with one of his typical switch offs, the goal would not have happened.

However I have lost count of Davies losing his winger in this way; happened in both legs of the Capital Cup semi against Sheffield Utd. He continues to make what is a basic error for a full back

Sorry Matlese but I kinda disagree on this. Davies and Vertonghen both stopped because they expected the ref to blow up for the foul on Gomez, which is poor play in itself. The other thing though is that the ball runs right to Vertonghen. So far as any left back would be concerned that situation is under control, his central defender is going to hack that clear.

Do not rate him at all but like the other youngsters in the squad i'm willing to give him time as he has not really had a number of games on the spin.

He had a good game yesterday.

He was poor, have to massively disagree on that. Got beaten time and time again, made rash tackles and barely beat the first man with any cross. When he did a few of them went out of play for a throw on.

He is a solid player but hasn't been great. Rose gets criticised for playing better than that and he is one player in our squad who deserves much more respect than he gets. In reply to an Earlier comment about attacking davies - he gets a free ride for a lot of what he does - partly driven because there seems to be a real irrational hate for Rose that makes no sense at all.

He was poor, have to massively disagree on that. Got beaten time and time again, made rash tackles and barely beat the first man with any cross. When he did a few of them went out of play for a throw on.

He is a solid player but hasn't been great. Rose gets criticised for playing better than that and he is one player in our squad who deserves much more respect than he gets. In reply to an Earlier comment about attacking davies - he gets a free ride for a lot of what he does - partly driven because there seems to be a real irrational hate for Rose that makes no sense at all.
Strongly agree. I seriously wonder about the judgment of those who reckon he had a good game against Fiorentina. Were they even watching?

I have stoutly defended Davies in the past because for a while when Rose was out earlier in the season he had a decent run in the side and showed he has a touch of class about him. I even began to hope he might retain his place when Rose was fit again. So it was a big disappointment to see against Fiorentina just how far he seems to have regressed.

Hopefully though this was just a one off. As much down to a lack of game time as a dip in confidence following his return to the stiffs. It happens.

He's still young and fingers-crossed he will come back all the stronger.

Back