• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Blimey, can you imagine if he was here for 30 years.. there must be a serious lack of bitching on the Manure forums!? What do they have to moan about!? Are you even allowed to slag off your manager after 30 years?

They moan a lot. Ferguson has lost his marbles more often than people go to the toilet.

They moan a lot. Ferguson has lost his marbles more often than people go to the toilet.

Must be weird though, Fergies been there for the entire supporting lives of most fans up into their 30s... Just think of everything they've missed out on as supporters

Or a couple of bad seasons and he may never work again. No manager is going to turn down a really big club with a chance of major honours for establishing Spurs in the top four and maybe the odd cup on the off chance that a similar offer will come along again.

I totally disagree. There's an interview of him around saying that he wants to only have a 10-12 year career and then go and enjoy life with his family. He also said he wanted to build something special.

I can see why he left for Chelsea from Porto - it was his big chance and there was a 'project' there to get a hold of. To totally reinvent the playing style that your mentor imparted on that club while refreshing nearly the entire playing squad and setting them up for future success to compete against the Manchester clubs - that was a challenge.

Now he has his new challenge. He's at Spurs. He's had his bad experience and realised that big money to spend isn't the be all and end all. He's at a club now that totally understand him, that totally respect him, and totally make the environment the right one for him to excel in. He's also started his project, and I'd be very, very surprised if he sees it through. We have always been a club that has had a strange sort of potential that if someone really special came along, they could extract it from us. He could very well be that guy. I have no idea why he would want to leave it half way through. We were paying Harry some of the best manager money going, so I'm sure AVB will be compensated very well if we can see progression in his project. And again, I just can't see why he would leave. A bigger transfer kitty? So what? Who the fudge cares? I don't think he does. He already knows that being at the big club with all the money can end in tears. And there's no honour or legacy left if he goes to some club that's already well established and just keeps them ticking over. He'll wonder what the point of it all was.

He's a little bit different. He's a bit of a mad genius in a lot of ways. A bit radical, in the way he works and I bet in the way he thinks. Probably why the press don't warm to him and why macarons like Durham think it's great fun to paint him out as a caricature of a clueless idiot. But he's clever. He's different. And so is our chairman. A lot of people can't understand why he has done some of the things he has done, but he has taken us beyond other clubs that have similar means because of his clever decisions. I think AVB and Levy are very similar in a lot of ways. I think they both have something cooking and I'd be very surprised if AVB decided to leave his project half way through.

Very well put - agree to a large extent

Here is is presented with the opportunity to do something special instead of going to a G14 outfit and simply continuing the status quo

I think that some of you are letting your heart rule your head if you think that he would turn down a job with a club with a realistic chance of winning the Champions League.

I may be dumb here BUT

We would be happy with AVB jumping ship however Harry for the same reason i.e. the England job had a tirade of abuse hurled at him? So why is AVB jumping ship any different than Harry?

I may be dumb here BUT

We would be happy with AVB jumping ship however Harry for the same reason i.e. the England job had a tirade of abuse hurled at him? So why is AVB jumping ship any different than Harry?

is Arry a sooper dooper tactical genius who plays sweeper keeper and makes Bale's all around game improve because of 1 good game? thought not.

I may be dumb here BUT

I do not think anyone would really begrudge Redknapp wanting the England job, its the way he lost his focus with us that tinkled the majority of fans off.

Last edited:
I may be dumb here BUT

It is not the fact he wanted the England job which irked most people - more the way he went about it. But that's another argument all together

I think that some of you are letting your heart rule your head if you think that he would turn down a job with a club with a realistic chance of winning the Champions League.

He wants to build something special, he wants a short career in which to do it and he's already been burned by the experience of working at a place where the fit wasn't right. Considering all that, I absolutely believe he'd take Spurs as far as he thinks he could before jumping ship half way through his project.

He wants to build something special, he wants a short career in which to do it and he's already been burned by the experience of working at a place where the fit wasn't right. Considering all that, I absolutely believe he'd take Spurs as far as he thinks he could before jumping ship half way through his project.

You might be right but I find it hard to understand why you are so certain. He has already jumped ship early once in his (very short) career for a shot at the big time.

A manager who chooses to stick in a job rather than take a bigger one, is a manager who is increasing the chances of them being sacked rather than walking reputation intact. The only manager that I can think that has done this in recent history is Wenger and possibly O'Neill.

Yep......and I'd wish him well.

The way he has be treated here already should tell him that there's no place for loyalty in football.

I agree and I'd wish him well too.

I'm not trying to criticise him here, especially over something that hasn't and possibly may never happen. I am just trying to be realistic about how managers view their career and where we currently stand in the pecking order.

I agree and I'd wish him well too.

I'm not trying to criticise him here, especially over something that hasn't and possibly may never happen. I am just trying to be realistic about how managers view their career and where we currently stand in the pecking order.

Where we stand currently yes.

The only way he will get a job is if he proves it in this job and if he proves it - by default we should be getting top fours regularly whilst playing good football - so why go somewhere else when the other job may well be inferior to this one?

Would he get a job offer if he is doing a brick job here? no. So he will be stuck with us or we fire him.

Where we stand currently yes.

The only way he will get a job is if he proves it in this job and if he proves it - by default we should be getting top fours regularly whilst playing good football - so why go somewhere else when the other job may well be inferior to this one?

Would he get a job offer if he is doing a brick job here? no. So he will be stuck with us or we fire him.

Top four and Europa might be enough to catch the eye of a club with a bigger budget, as might be proving that he isn't the incompetent man manager that many painted him to be after his stint at Chelsea.

Top four and Europa might be enough to catch the eye of a club with a bigger budget, as might be proving that he isn't the incompetent man manager that many painted him to be after his stint at Chelsea.

I dont know about that. Also dont forget if our stadium goes ahead in three years time we should be having a similar sized budget along with CL football etc and there wouldnt be many bigger clubs (especially premier league). Abroad - maybe Italy maybe Spain but apart from the likes of Real or Barca I dont think many would appeal.

Anyways I think we are taking at least two years down the line.

I may be dumb here BUT

you said it :p

Or a couple of bad seasons and he may never work again. No manager is going to turn down a really big club with a chance of major honours for establishing Spurs in the top four and maybe the odd cup on the off chance that a similar offer will come along again.

Mate.
You're missing the entire point of AVB and what he sees (along with Levy) IMO.

He sees US as the club who will win major honors in the coming years, and he sees US as the 'project' which is soon to explode into successful action.
New training centre.
New stadium coming.
Good squad to be improved yet further.
Young manager.

His whole ethos is based on taking total control of everything (I wouldn't be surprised if he dictates the brew of tea in the canteen pots - if there is tea-if there is a canteen!!!!!!!) and he is NOT going to get that stepping in somewhere like Milan, etc, etc. No, I think that IF it works out, he'll be here at least a decade and that when he goes it will be for a national team job. Either that or he'll get the tin-tack down the line.

BTW, nice to see people worrying about him being poached! ;-)

http://www.thenational.ae/thenation.../the-conspiracy-to-unsettle-andre-villas-boas

The conspiracy to unsettle Andre Villas-Boas

It could be ascribed to jealousy, conservatism or even good old-fashioned revenge, but Andre Villas-Boas would be forgiven for thinking that English football has it in for him.

His appointment in place of the well-connected Harry Redknapp was always going to be met sceptically in certain quarters.

Quick-fired at Chelsea is not meant to be followed by stewardship of the Premier League's fifth-placed team. Old managerial hands were gleefully questioning Villas-Boas's credentials before he even had one training session with his full squad.

According to Gordon Strachan, last seen flirting with the Championship relegation places at Middlesbrough two years ago, people were conned into believing every coach with a foreign accent was "a tactical genius".

Starting home matches with two holding midfielders, partly because most of his new attackers had been signed in deadline week, Villas-Boas was too defensive, the team prone to basic errors. Much worse was to be laid on the Portuguese.

The decision to not immediately install a last-minute signing in goal turned into a ludicrous soap opera in which it was claimed Villas-Boas never wanted to sign Hugo Lloris in the first place.

The truth was that the France goalkeeper had been earmarked by the coach before he had even signed his own White Hart Lane contract. Continuing with the in-form Brad Friedel as No 1 was standard man management.

Why alter a functioning defence and place unnecessary pressure on an expensive recruit until Lloris had time to adapt?

By his fourth fixture, Villas-Boas had "three games to save his Tottenham job", according to one English Sunday newspaper.

Tottenham proceeded to dismantle Reading for a first win of the season, then come back to beat Queens Park Rangers at home. No matter.

On the morning of Villas-Boas's hardest task so far - an away trip to Manchester United - The Sun newspaper lead on supposed "showdown talks" between coach and players over "gruelling double training sessions" and his "negative style of football".

According to a source, there had been no double sessions in Villas-Boas's regular-season training schedule, and not one player had complained about tactics. Could the timing of the article be in any way related to Redknapp's employment as the newspaper's star columnist?

Villas-Boas knows the best way to answer his enemies is to win. Unfortunately for the antis, he is doing precisely that.

I dont know about that. Also dont forget if our stadium goes ahead in three years time we should be having a similar sized budget along with CL football etc and there wouldnt be many bigger clubs (especially premier league). Abroad - maybe Italy maybe Spain but apart from the likes of Real or Barca I dont think many would appeal.

Anyways I think we are taking at least two years down the line.

Remind me how long the average Premier League manager stays in a job for again?

Back