• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

why is it easy to 'bed' all these new players and produce good away performances immediately but suddenly at the Lane we play like a disjointed bunch of strangers?

To be honest, I haven't a clue. Maybe it's the fact that there is more space away from home which allows players more time on the ball...

But it also could be that it's easy enough to 'get' playing a quick tempo exploit the gaps kind of game, it's harder as players to learn how to implement a controlled style of play which involves taking care of the ball and implementing a strategy for the entire game, switching tempos and mindsets mid-match etc.

Winning the ball and attacking quickly into space if that is the plan is something by its nature easier to do because space is there...learning how to be patient in a game with no space is a different kettle of fish. I believe we would have gotten there though.

To be honest, I haven't a clue. Maybe it's the fact that there is more space away from home which allows players more time on the ball...

But it also could be that it's easy enough to 'get' playing a quick tempo exploit the gaps kind of game, it's harder as players to learn how to implement a controlled style of play which involves taking care of the ball and implementing a strategy for the entire game, switching tempos and mindsets mid-match etc.

Winning the ball and attacking quickly into space if that is the plan is something by its nature easier to do because space is there...learning how to be patient in a game with no space is a different kettle of fish. I believe we would have gotten there though.

I thought it was because the crowd at WHL was pulling the ball into our own net?

I thought it was because the crowd at WHL was pulling the ball into our own net?

If you are trying to play in a patient and controlled manner it may make things a bit more edgy if the crowd is getting on your back don't you think?

THE BOOK (!!!!!) that a few of us referred to talked about how originally the crowd at Porto got frustrated with the ball going back to the defenders but once they understood what was being done and how it lead to the team being effective, they appreciated it.

...which ties into the discussion that was going on last night about whether AVB should have explained his methods in some way. I understand why some people would say 'Fergie never needed to' but maybe during a transitional phase and when the style and approach is a bit different to what the audience is used to seeing in England, it may have been worthwhile.

If you are trying to play in a patient and controlled manner it may make things a bit more edgy if the crowd is getting on your back don't you think?

THE BOOK (!!!!!) that a few of us referred to talked about how originally the crowd at Porto got frustrated with the ball going back to the defenders but once they understood what was being done and how it lead to the team being effective, they appreciated it.

...which ties into the discussion that was going on last night about whether AVB should have explained his methods in some way. I understand why some people would say 'Fergie never needed to' but maybe during a transitional phase and when the style and approach is a bit different to what the audience is used to seeing in England, it may have been worthwhile.

Don't disagree with that but the question was - why can we play well away from home (2nd best in the league to Arsenal I think) but apparently don't know who our team mates are at home. There's got to be more to it than the crowd being a bit anxious.

I'm not entirely sure England is ready for thinking about football yet. Maybe in another generation or so.

Don't disagree with that but the question was - why can we play well away from home (2nd best in the league to Arsenal I think) but apparently don't know who our team mates are at home. There's got to be more to it than the crowd being a bit anxious.

Anxiety and the fact that we aren't simply trying to go out there and exploit the space but learn how to control games so that we can wear opposition down and break them down that way when they come to frustrate.

looking back it was a little worrying to hear players coming out with excuses regarding our home form.......'the crowd' even the size of the 'damn pitch'......

our starts to games were the problem though......I cant remember for a while seeing us start a game like we really meant business...the players seemed to be waiting for things to happen rather than making them happen........sadly for AVB he would still be in a job if a few recent home games had us haring out of the blocks early imo.....

I do wonder whether AVB's coaches like Sousa offered a different view in the managers ear before games.....

oh well the dream of AVB being our messiah has gone now.....maybe I wanted him to suceed a little to much because of what happened to him at Chelsea......oh well we are little better than them at the moment anyway minus the ogliarch millions.......onwards and upwards with project Sherwood.....until the next messiah arrives.

Friedel says players backed AVB

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/friedel-says-tottenham-players-were-behind-villas-boas-121813

Brad Friedel has dismissed reports Andre Villas-Boas lost the Tottenham dressing room, insisting none of the players wanted to see him leave.

Villas-Boas was fired on Monday following Spurs' 5-0 demolition at home by Liverpool, with some reports claiming he had lost the support of his players.

But speaking on FOX Soccer Daily, Friedel insisted the entire squad was behind the Portuguese coach.

"I think all the players in the changing room really wanted things to work out for Andre," the United States goalkeeper said.

"From day one that he came to the club, (he had an) open door policy, very good communication with the players. None of us were happy to see him go.

"We still have to continue to have a very good team spirit, which I know we will.

"We have a lot of quality in the changing room.

"I'm sure the board are going to be hiring a very good manager to take us forward, who the players will all be behind again, because, at the end of the day, we are employed by Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, not by the manager they're bringing in.

"We just have to try to adhere to all of his ideas and try to get results for the football club."

I never believed Andre lost the dressing room. You could see it in the way he interacted with players at the end of games or on the touchline, and in photos from training. In this regard, he must be given a lot of credit for learning from his communication failures at Chelsea.

But having said that, I think Brad is just being a good soldier and respectful senior pro here. Saying the players "wanted things to work out for Andre" is pretty much what 99% of fans on here have been saying. But that's not the same as saying things were working out, or would work out. Ditto "none of us were happy to see him go"...I feel exactly the same way. Not happy, very disappointed, deflated. But disappointment is the son of failure and Brad isn't saying he shouldn't have gone.

The last 2 paras are the money shot, and I hope this is what he's saying to the younger and newer players. The club is solid, this season is still alive, we'll pull a good coach and already have a good Chairman and DoF....the whole set-up is not really that much changed just because Andre is gone.

BTW, is anyone surprised we haven't gotten a longer statement from the club about AVB's departure yet? To my knowledge all we have is the original statement from 10:55am Monday:

Club agrees departure of Andre Villas-Boas

The Club can announce that agreement has been reached with Head Coach, Andre Villas-Boas, for the termination of his services. The decision was by mutual consent and in the interests of all parties.

We wish Andre well for the future.

We shall make a further announcement in due course.

Aren't these things usually a bit more verbose than that? Thanks for the hard work..., despite everyone's best efforts...., we're as disappointed as anyone, but... etc. etc.

I never believed Andre lost the dressing room. You could see it in the way he interacted with players at the end of games or on the touchline, and in photos from training. In this regard, he must be given a lot of credit for learning from his communication failures at Chelsea.

But having said that, I think Brad is just being a good soldier and respectful senior pro here. Saying the players "wanted things to work out for Andre" is pretty much what 99% of fans on here have been saying. But that's not the same as saying things were working out, or would work out. Ditto "none of us were happy to see him go"...I feel exactly the same way. Not happy, very disappointed, deflated. But disappointment is the son of failure and Brad isn't saying he shouldn't have gone.

The last 2 paras are the money shot, and I hope this is what he's saying to the younger and newer players. The club is solid, this season is still alive, we'll pull a good coach and already have a good Chairman and DoF....the whole set-up is not really that much changed just because Andre is gone.

I think Brad would make a good manager :-k

BTW, is anyone surprised we haven't gotten a longer statement from the club about AVB's departure yet? To my knowledge all we have is the original statement from 10:55am Monday:

Aren't these things usually a bit more verbose than that? Thanks for the hard work..., despite everyone's best efforts...., we're as disappointed as anyone, but... etc. etc.

well Mulder & Scully are to busy and Scooby Doo and the gang are currently working on another case......

my guess is to ensure the club looks a little less of a laughing stock than it already is......

not much point in making more of a statement....we know its all turned to ****!!!

looking back it was a little worrying to hear players coming out with excuses regarding our home form.......'the crowd' even the size of the 'damn pitch'......

our starts to games were the problem though......I cant remember for a while seeing us start a game like we really meant business...the players seemed to be waiting for things to happen rather than making them happen........sadly for AVB he would still be in a job if a few recent home games had us haring out of the blocks early imo.....

I do wonder whether AVB's coaches like Sousa offered a different view in the managers ear before games.....

oh well the dream of AVB being our messiah has gone now.....maybe I wanted him to suceed a little to much because of what happened to him at Chelsea......oh well we are little better than them at the moment anyway minus the ogliarch millions.......onwards and upwards with project Sherwood.....until the next messiah arrives.

Ah those were the days when we used to rip into teams from the starting whistle which got the crowd on their feet singing rather than having to patiently wait for a late winner... the unsophisticated bunch of philistines that many of us are 8-[

Goals by 15 min at Home (goals scored - goals conceded)
Season / Minutes0-1516-3031-4546-6061-7576-90
2013/140-13-10-23-10-41-3
2012/134-31-33-16-47-38-4
2011/127-15-27-32-514-44-2
2010/114-34-35-42-17-28-6
2009/107-14-17-18-35-19-5
2008/094-35-02-01-54-15-1
http://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england_2009

So according to the paper talk AVB did not want Eriksen, Lamela, and Paulinho, and wanted Hulk, Villa and Moutinho, not to mention Willian.

We could have potentially had

Sandro Moutinho

Hulk Willian Villa

Soldado​

Potentially would have cost us the Bale money.

So according to the paper talk AVB did not want Eriksen, Lamela, and Paulinho, and wanted Hulk, Villa and Moutinho, not to mention Willian.

Sandro Moutinho

Hulk Willian Villa

Soldado​

yup. Instead we have a chairman that stalls multi million deals because of a couple 100k´s =D>

Sandro Moutinho

Hulk Willian Villa

Soldado​

We couldn't though, because we could not have afforded (nor even offered anywhere near) all those players requested wages.

Sandro Moutinho

Hulk Willian Villa

Soldado​

We went for Villa; he preferred Athletico.
We went for Willian and almost signed him (he'd had a medical) but then Chelsea tapped him up. Our fault though for going public with it before the deal was done
As for Moutinho, do you really think we could have matched what Monaco offered him on a post-tax basis?!?!?
Similarly, do you think we could have afforded Hulk's wages? You're not living in the real world.....

It's not me who's saying it. I'm echoing what the papers are saying that is all.

We went for Villa; he preferred Athletico.
We went for Willian and almost signed him (he'd had a medical) but then Chelsea tapped him up. Our fault though for going public with it before the deal was done
As for Moutinho, do you really think we could have matched what Monaco offered him on a post-tax basis?!?!?
Similarly, do you think we could have afforded Hulk's wages? You're not living in the real world.....

Wasn't the Moutinho deal agreed the summer before, and Levy tried doing what Levy does, getting a few quid knocked off late on and missed the deadline?

Wasn't the Moutinho deal agreed the summer before, and Levy tried doing what Levy does, getting a few quid knocked off late on and missed the deadline?

Yeah I thought that we had agreed a transfer fee and wages in summer 2012 but there was something about Moutinho' third party ownership which couldn't be resolved to Levy' satisfaction before the window closed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...d-out-on-Portos-Joao-Moutinho-by-minutes.html

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/04/tottenham-hotspur-joao-moutinho

Porto then purchased the remaining 15% of Joao' contact rights in January for €3m before he ended up moving to Monaco this summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...utinho-party-ownership-bought--Tottenham.html

Back