• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I feel you would struggle to find anyone who observed what happened that season to 'barely acknowledge' Chel$ki's luck. Unless they area Chel$ki supporter.

"Luck" is something outside your control. We did not get ECL that season or the season before because of decisions made by our manager that were incorrect.

Don't spose you could PM me? Really interested in what you're hearing, as you seem to have grown surer and surer that there's a good chance AVB won't finish the season.

no no mate, have not gone digging, i'm just sensing the pressure he's under. i HAVE heard that things aren't great behind the scenes, and that as there tends to be in these situations, someone somewhere is stirring/trying to gain advantages for themselves, but absolutely nothing concrete at all…just a sense. in fact, i absolutely hope upon hope that based on 'seige mentality' alone, levy sticks with AVB. there can be little doubt that he is under pressure and rather isolated; the hope is that he is not isolated within the club. that i do not know. i wondered whether, on sunday, the players were playing for themselves or the manager. i get the impression that they are of the general decision that 'we are in this together' but that it remains a professional decision rather than a heartfelt one. time will tell...

"Luck" is something outside your control. We did not get ECL that season or the season before because of decisions made by our manager that were incorrect.

That is not what I was saying. My reply was to specific section of Jurgen's post. In both the past seasons where we narrowly failed to qualify we made too many mistakes that cost us vital points. Wigan last year, for example.

That's true, but it's funny how people cut Jol slack for the 05/06 season because of Lasagne gate but don't do the same for the 11/12 season. Don't get me wrong, having your team come down with food poisoning on the day of the last game of the season is wretched, horrendous bad luck, but we also threw points away in the last few minutes of games on numerous occasions. Context, that's all I'm saying.

That is not what I was saying. My reply was to specific section of Jurgen's post. In both the past seasons where we narrowly failed to qualify we made too many mistakes that cost us vital points. Wigan last year, for example.

Agreed.

That's true, but it's funny how people cut Jol slack for the 05/06 season because of Lasagne gate but don't do the same for the 11/12 season. Don't get me wrong, having your team come down with food poisoning on the day of the last game of the season is wretched, horrendous bad luck, but we also threw points away in the last few minutes of games on numerous occasions. Context, that's all I'm saying.

I never cut Jol any slack to be honest. Nice man, gave us back some pride, never good enough. Failed whenever a massive match was there to be won. I don't count lasagnegate, but there were many moments that season (most notably sunderland and gooners away) where we took points from ourselves.

Even Gooners home that season was a complete throw away of 2 points. Totally owned them the whole game only to be let down by a Robinson mistake.

no no mate, have not gone digging, i'm just sensing the pressure he's under. i HAVE heard that things aren't great behind the scenes, and that as there tends to be in these situations, someone somewhere is stirring/trying to gain advantages for themselves, but absolutely nothing concrete at all…just a sense. in fact, i absolutely hope upon hope that based on 'seige mentality' alone, levy sticks with AVB. there can be little doubt that he is under pressure and rather isolated; the hope is that he is not isolated within the club. that i do not know. i wondered whether, on sunday, the players were playing for themselves or the manager. i get the impression that they are of the general decision that 'we are in this together' but that it remains a professional decision rather than a heartfelt one. time will tell...

It's funny, I get the sense that the players are fully behind the manager. And not just in the sense of putting in the effort, but very clearly putting a tactical plan into play. The difference in the approach to Tromso and United was obvious and I think they are clearly putting what he wants into practice.

I think what may be happening is there is a bit of a divide in the Spurs boardroom/advisory circles. And that's between some of the old school still annoyed at Redknapp's sacking (probably the same guy that gave the 'he's either a genius or a fraud' comment when AVB was hired, who is now perking up because he feels he can get his agenda across easily with negative results) and some of the new school that want the club to modernise and aren't scarred by the experience with Ramos and Commoli.

I mean, Duncan Castles is reporting that Hoddle is being seriously considered by Spurs. I cannot for the life of me fathom this. Either it's a story planted to make us as fans go 'WTF, if we sack AVB for him we are mental' or it's a serious story planted by the same source from the Spurs board, who has pretty much been against AVB from the beginning. I would really love to know who the ****er is because I cannot understand why he is kept around the club and allowed to do what he is doing. Levy etc must know who it is and what he is doing.

I get the sense Levy likes keeping the old school around because he likes the club to have a sense of itself and because he doesn't want to forget where he came from (and maybe these old schoolers aren't willing to relinquish what little control that they have). From reading Sugar's book he's known Levy from way back when, so there are probably some personal ties there too. However from a purely footballing point of view, I don't really believe Levy pays serious attention to what this old school section of the club thinks, because he is a moderniser and he wants to drag us into the future. I get the feeling that as much as he will pay platitudes to the connections he has made throughout his career, when it comes to footballing decisions he trusts himself and the more modern wing. And because of that, there's a section of the club that feel it is their duty to balance it out, and it is that section we need rid of IMO.

It's funny, I get the sense that the players are fully behind the manager. And not just in the sense of putting in the effort, but very clearly putting a tactical plan into play. The difference in the approach to Tromso and United was obvious and I think they are clearly putting what he wants into practice.

I think what may be happening is there is a bit of a divide in the Spurs boardroom/advisory circles. And that's between some of the old school still annoyed at Redknapp's sacking (probably the same guy that gave the 'he's either a genius or a fraud' comment when AVB was hired, who is now perking up because he feels he can get his agenda across easily with negative results) and some of the new school that want the club to modernise and aren't scarred by the experience with Ramos and Commoli.

I mean, Duncan Castles is reporting that Hoddle is being seriously considered by Spurs. I cannot for the life of me fathom this. Either it's a story planted to make us as fans go 'WTF, if we sack AVB for him we are mental' or it's a serious story planted by the same source from the Spurs board, who has pretty much been against AVB from the beginning. I would really love to know who the ****er is because I cannot understand why he is kept around the club and allowed to do what he is doing. Levy etc must know who it is and what he is doing.

I get the sense Levy likes keeping the old school around because he likes the club to have a sense of itself and because he doesn't want to forget where he came from (and maybe these old schoolers aren't willing to relinquish what little control that they have). From reading Sugar's book he's known Levy from way back when, so there are probably some personal ties there too. However from a purely footballing point of view, I don't really believe Levy pays serious attention to what this old school section of the club thinks, because he is a moderniser and he wants to drag us into the future. I get the feeling that as much as he will pay platitudes to the connections he has made throughout his career, when it comes to footballing decisions he trusts himself and the more modern wing. And because of that, there's a section of the club that feel it is their duty to balance it out, and it is that section we need rid of IMO.

Interesting, and provocative, read. I agree with much of it. For me, the key to everything is gauging EXACTLY how much power Tim Sherwood currently has, and how much he is projected to have. He is highly regarded by some. I don't doubt he's a fine coach BTW, but it appears he perhaps harbors a more ruthless, disruptive and personally ambitious streak than just being a coach; nothing wrong with that if it's in congruence with the direction your current employer is going. Otherwise problems can abound.

I have never seen a former manager's shadow cast itself so long despite the reality of the situation they were relieved of. It's astonishing.

As for the Castles thing, well, it's tough to figure out what (exactly) that is about. I think it's simple ****-stirring. I love Glenn but he is best suited to international football IMV...

I think Hoddle may make a good coach of some sort, I mean I'd rather him around the club then the likes of Sherwood or Ferdinand. But as manager? no thanks.

I think Hoddle may make a good coach of some sort, I mean I'd rather him around the club then the likes of Sherwood or Ferdinand. But as manager? no thanks.

Yeah whenever I listen to him as a pundit I realise that he seriously knows his stuff, but that doesn't make you a good manager. How is Tim Sherwood still at the club btw?

Yeah whenever I listen to him as a pundit I realise that he seriously knows his stuff, but that doesn't make you a good manager. How is Tim Sherwood still at the club btw?

Agreed. It's one thing having ideas and knowing how the game should be played and actually putting it across to the players. I am sure the players would respect him and apparently he was always the best on the training ground in training, but as a manager I don't think he was anything special. He was blessed with utter ****, but still.

I'd be more than happy to have the likes of Hoddle and Freund around the club then like you say people like Sherwood.

Agreed 100%.
I never EVER understood Ferdinand…what good has he actually been when he was coaching our strikers?!!!!

I frankly feel that if we could answer that question, we might have a lot more answers to a lot more questions that we're wondering about currently...

Yep i'm always hugely impressed with Hoddle as a pundit for sky (especially talking about spurs) but as a manager? Dear GHod no.

Does any of us know what Sherwood's role involves or have any way of judging whether he is any good at his job?

I frankly feel that if we could answer that question, we might have a lot more answers to a lot more questions that we're wondering about currently...

Agreed.

It was pretty clear he **** stirred with Richard Keys, and was responsible for the The Sun's story before our win at Old Trafford. That much is certain. On that alone, WTF is he still doing at the club? I genuinely can't figure it out. He is of no strategic importance. He is easily dispensible. I read that Levy rates him highly but how highly can you rate someone that works with the kids, that you will keep them at the club after they have briefed against the new Head Coach that you risked a large part of your reputation to hire. Can anyone answer that for me? It is bizarre. I'd love to hear some opinions on that.

I think there is a source within Spurs that doesn't like the direction the club is going. That's why the stories to me this last week never made much sense. I think Martin Lipton had it right, he was on the radio and said the board aren't seriously concerned. Of course there are worries and if the same thing happened against Man United, serious questions would be asked. However, no-one thought it would happen and obviously it didn't, so we moved on with our lives. To me, that seems like a guy that is seriously clued in to the actual decision makers at the club. And not just because it backs AVB, but because it makes sense. You do not just turn the lights out on a long term project, 12 games after you recorded record points in the league, just because of one heavy defeat. I mentioned this earlier but this does not tie in with my view of Levy - to most he is painted as an impatient madman when it comes to giving managers the sack, ruthless and fearless, but to me he strikes me as a guy that will absolutely back the man he thinks is right for the club as much as he possibly can. He liked Ramos, and he was sad that didn't work out. AVB is the guy he was waiting for, there's just no way he was ever seriously considering letting him go.

So the stories don't make much sense, I don't think they tally with what Levy is really thinking, and I don't think they tally with what the players are thinking about their manager either. They seem to all have drunk the cool aid, they buy into the methods and they think he is a nice guy to boot. So I think there is a source - that's why the papers were able to write the stories with such certainty last week - but it's not a source that has any real power or influence and that's why everything got blown way out of proportion. Sugar tweeted that it was 'very sombre in the Spurs boardroom, no-one willing to make a prediction' before the United game, and I can't help but think it's him and a few cronies spouting off because they just don't understand what this Johnny Foreigner is on about with all his tactical terms and that he 'talks too much, so must be a bull****ter' or some other such out-dated phrase he will be fond of using on The Apprentice.

Watching Brad Friedel being interviewed now on SSN he really does seems like he'll make an excellent manager one day.

Back