• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

AVB has already hit that double turn... on himself.

Turning heel by trash talking the fans when in reality he was being honest only to then fight back against the press and win the fans back on his side.

article-0-1A9DC69C000005DC-58_634x492.jpg

Ok i think we've bored everyone mumorn so let's stop....i'll meet you at wretlingforums.net to discuss this

and copy and paste posts

i'm joking, i'm joking;)

Well, we could just copy and paste this escapade. It sort of fits in.. sort of.

Which is why, at this stage, the number of points separating us from the teams above us matters, not which position we're in.

I think Rob is saying that"at the end of the season" points mean nothing it's position that matters. We got our best points score last season yet it meant nothing whatsoever.

Ok so some faith restored in AVB and the team. The lads did improve on Sunday and there was greater urgency against united.

The real test for AVB is the next two games- neither Fulham or Sunderland are likely to play as open as united were on Sunday. In fact if I'm rene muelensteen I'd be setting up Fulham to contain us as have so many against us and hit us on the counter.

So we need to keep that urgency and speed of movement from Sunday and we deffo only need one dm. The question for meis whether we go 2 up top (assuming we have 2 fit strikers).

I'd like the same team as Sunday but don't think that will happen.

How do people think AVB will set us up for this game?

I think Rob is saying that"at the end of the season" points mean nothing it's position that matters. We got our best points score last season yet it meant nothing whatsoever.

It meant that (over 38 matches) we'd performed better than we ever have in the PL era.

It meant that (over 38 matches) we'd performed better than we ever have in the PL era.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but had we. Is there a point to be made that in previous years we may have finished with a lower points total in a much stronger league and therefore performed better even though we didn't obtain as many points.

Equally, taking the players at our disposal into account, have we performed better by not finishing forth with the likes of Bale etc in our team or not being relegated with the likes of Andy Sinton playing on the left.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but had we. Is there a point to be made that in previous years we may have finished with a lower points total in a much stronger league and therefore performed better even though we didn't obtain as many points.

Equally, taking the players at our disposal into account, have we performed better by not finishing forth with the likes of Bale etc in our team or not being relegated with the likes of Andy Sinton playing on the left.

Interesting take on it - the second line. But ultimately performance comes down to how many points you get, there's no handicap for supposed poorer quality players. Performance = players being effective and doing what they do.

On the first line, I think it's a bit unfair to say that if it was a stronger league, it wouldn't have been as impressive. We could have easily been among the group of teams 7th and below - one of the weaker teams - had we not performed well. We didn't have any right to be considered one of the 'strong' teams until we performed to that level.

probably one of the few that, result aside , didnt really come out of that game feeling like i could take away positives that i didnt know would happen (wrote happy before but that doesnt explain it properly. meant like positie vibes etc). The press thing from a layman prespective is good / fun but i think it sends out a message about AVB, you can actually get to him. As a human being i dont blame him for doing that though

disclaimers:- no prior agenda and hope this is not hostile or invokes a hostile response.

Last edited:

Duncan Castles saying that the club are considering Glenn Hoddle.....WTF is wrong with our board.

Also apparently his relationship with Levy has been strained since he joined...I kind of wonder if this was an article planted by AVB's camp in order to make people wonder WTF is going on.

Either way I have no idea anymore, and it's tiring trying to second guess. What an utterly daft idea though.

I don't think the PL has ever been as competitive as it was last season - at the very least it's equally tough compared to previous years. Chelsea were back on form, City were storming, Arsenal went on an amazing run. Only Liverpool of the regular contenders were poor and even the bottom end of the table were more than capable of getting results against top teams.

I don't think player quality has anything to do with it either - we performed better than we ever have, there's no more to it than that.

If you want to start factoring in player quality then I suppose you could form some kind of achievement list. My top few PL seasons (taking into account player quality) would be:

1) 2012-13
2) 2005-06
3) 2006-07
4) 2009-10
5) 2010-11
6) 2011-12

I don't think the PL has ever been as competitive as it was last season - at the very least it's equally tough compared to previous years. Chelsea were back on form, City were storming, Arsenal went on an amazing run. Only Liverpool of the regular contenders were poor and even the bottom end of the table were more than capable of getting results against top teams.

I don't think player quality has anything to do with it either - we performed better than we ever have, there's no more to it than that.

If you want to start factoring in player quality then I suppose you could form some kind of achievement list. My top few PL seasons (taking into account player quality) would be:

1) 2012-13
2) 2005-06
3) 2006-07
4) 2009-10
5) 2010-11
6) 2011-12

Interesting that you'd rate our Zokora/Jenas season where we finished 5th above the season we got 4th ahead of City...but I guess I've just explained why you did that. :lol:

Interesting that you'd rate our Zokora/Jenas season where we finished 5th above the season we got 4th ahead of City...but I guess I've just explained why you did that. :lol:

Finishing outside the relegation zone with a midfield of Zokora/Jenas is worthy of a knighthood in my eyes!

good questions

its hard but you have to really go by the overall performance of everyone that plays in that league. i think that last year was a potentially good year for anyone with a half decent team, the massive divide between the top team, then the next three...then the next three then everybody else seemed to be pretty distinct

it was essentially top heavy and points were being picked up left right and centre from teams in mid table to the bottom i think. So essentially it seemed like good team racked up points from the lower teams....within the mini league of the good teams that were NOT the top 2 ...i think competition was stronger......the difference in those games would be the game changing players for each team, in ours it was bale who had a spectacular year playing off the foundations or what looked like an industrious , rigid and structured team playing behind him.

i dont think we played particularly well or elegant to watch etc in most of our games, infact we looked void of ideas save for long range efforts and half chances...we were totally baled out in quite a few of those games...

but then rewind and have a team with bale developing a not fully expressive back bone, VDV, modric, lennon, thudd etc etc...and we got less points even though that team was flamboyant and stacked with potential flair.

thing is in that team despite all that potential guile and creativity we were STILL pretty pedestrian..we were fun to watch and we got the crowd on their feet but in the end there was a clear and predictable sense of being pedestrian with our final ball in the final third. the build up was dynamic and more varied than we have now, true , but in the end our final ball would almost be the saame thing all the time...long range efforts or a cross.

then also i cant remember but were points picked up more or less than last year from the bottom half of teams or not? was there a similar gap / divide in quality and / or points between mini leagues of the league?

its worth checking out.

1) 2012-13
2) 2005-06
3) 2006-07
4) 2009-10
5) 2010-11
6) 2011-12

I actually agree with you on the first point, which is why I said I was playing devil's advocate. I do think there are so many variables each season that it is difficult to compare one to the next, but in the absense of anything else, points on the board has to be the measure.

I do find it interesting though in terms of players and managers. I always had my doubts about Martinez because basically he avoided relegation by the skin of his teeth every year with Wigan. The years we finished 5th and Wigan avoided relegation, who performed better? If you look at it purely on points, obviously we did. But there is an arguement that due to the resource (or lack of), players and fan base Wigan have, they performed better, and Martinez is now proving my doubts wrong by the way he has Everton performing.

On the whole though, I do agree that for Spurs, points gained has to be the measure of performance, and last season was our highest total.

1) 2012-13
2) 2005-06
3) 2006-07
4) 2009-10
5) 2010-11
6) 2011-12

1. 2009/10
2. 2011/12 (should have been even better)
3. 2012/13
4. 2010/11
5. 2005/06
6. 2006/07

I think he's talking about the quality of the league as a whole, not Spurs.

It's more how they stack up against each other given the players we had and how good the other teams were.

Last season we overachieved somewhat in terms of points. The season before was a slight underachievement.

1. 2009/10
2. 2011/12 (should have been even better)
3. 2012/13
4. 2010/11
5. 2005/06
6. 2006/07

09/10 loses marks for me because it was before City were good. Other than us, there were only 3 good teams in the league.

And again with 11/12 - This year's Palace would finish above 11/12 Chelsea (OK, that's an exaggeration but you get my point) so there were only 3 decent teams to finish above - we finished below them all.

It's more how they stack up against each other given the players we had and how good the other teams were.

Last season we overachieved somewhat in terms of points. The season before was a slight underachievement.

Precisely - it's adjusting for player quality as Millsy_Yiddo suggested.

Back